Bag Ends

Discussion in 'Officers' started by johnwhite, Nov 30, 2003.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Anyone got any interesting stories from their time at Sandbags.

Just wondering what is in store for me!
  2. I have. But I'm not going to tell. Suffer, like everyone else.
  3. Don't go and have interesting stories about what you did in your free time in civvie street
  4. When are you off?
  5. Off his head
  6. No, but I've got one or two of me and your mum. Not telling you though because then you'd guess I was your dad; least I would have been if the dog hadn't beat me up the stairs.
  7. Great set of replies.

8. woopert

woopert LE Moderator

Would you like your rattle back? :lol:
  9. No, just a reply to the 1st post.
  10. :lol: :lol: :lol: excellent :lol: :lol: :lol:
  11. Take a sense of humour very invaluable if you can't laugh most of the stuff off you'll have a real depressing year.
  12. Start strenghtening those wrists. Can't fall behind on those shining parades each evening!
  13. In my platoon there was one poor chap who passed RCB 2 weeks before reporting and received the joining instructions on the morning of the day on which we had to report by 1400 hrs. He lived close by so dashed into town with the kit list to get what he could. He had no previous exposure to the military and had the following problems:
    Nobody understood what a bungee was.
    For "model kit" he bought an airfix model thinking it was to keep him entertained in the evenings.
    Fablon he could find but the list did not say what it was for. He bought red and yellow just to be sure.
    Not his fault but bloody funny all the same.
  14. Presumably you're doing the regular course - if you're either a STAB or doing the PQO's 'effort' then your best bet is probably to hide under your bed for a week or two - no-one will notice and they'll no doubt commission you anyway.

I'd throw my weight behind what G_S said. Most of what will happen to you, unfair though it will inevitably seem at the time, is actually very funny when you think about it. Don't take things to heart; the best favour you can do yourself is to take a bollocking on the chin. I guarantee, 100%, cast iron, cross my heart, that you will never 'beat the rap' and talk your way out of anything, so don't even bother trying. The respect goes to the OCdt who says 'fair one, sorry' and cracks on.
    Don't jack on your mates. The camaraderie you will develop over the course of the year will last a lifetime; I know if I met any one of 20 odd blokes from my pl in the street, I would drop everything and go for a pint or ten. You will be doing some pretty shit tasks a lot of the time; if your oppos think you're a tosser then they will be ten times harder.
    Don't take advantage of the team work thing - the point is you get out what you put in. We had one twat in the first 5 weeks who fell so far behind with his admin that he put a list on his door of tasks which needed to be done - did anyone help him? Did they ****, he was a jack bastard who looked after himself. Someone else, on the other hand, was found passed out on the floor of his room having torn the place apart while pissed, with vomit all over the bed, a neatly coiled turd in the sink of all places, and with the CSgt due to make a visit early AM. However, said piss artist was a gleaming bloke who really went the extra mile for his muckers, and as a result 4 AM found five or six guys straightening the place up while he slept it off in someone else's bed.
    You will have some lows, and some incredible highs. Just enjoy as much as you can. You will be taught by the best staffies/CSgt's in the army (same doesn't apply to your Pl Comd - mine was a useless American biff for the last two terms) Most of the time you will have responsibility for yourself and your kit only, take advantage, as this will soon end...