BAE woos children for recruits

Don't you just love journos? A good article until he gets emotive. WMD = planes and ships.... Uneducated git.

All I'll say is well done to BAe for trying to get kids interested in engineering in general, a skill set we need to preserve as a nation.

From The Torygraph

By Roland Gribben

Last Updated: 1:28am GMT 13/03/2007

Britain's biggest defence contractor is targeting children as young as nine in an effort to help ease the recruitment crisis facing engineering companies.

BAE Systems is emphasising widespread career opportunities available inside science and engineering, rather than promote a product range embracing missiles, warships, fighter aircraft and other weapons of mass destruction, to attract young boys and girls to work in its factories and research laboratories.

A specially tailored roadshow has been produced by BAE to tour schools and counter the declining interest in science and technology studies at schools and universities. Engineers translate their assignments into simple language, describing the Eurofighter Typhoon as an aircraft that can travel from ''brakes off to supersonic in less than 30 seconds''.

A new programme for 100 schools this year involves BAE apprentices and graduates turned ''actors'' in a stage performance and challenging students to design a new unmanned vehicle to operate in disaster-recovery areas.

Richard Hamer, head of BAE's graduate and education programmes, said: "We were told we had to start talking to children as young as nine because this is the time they are becoming interested in careers. In the case of girls it's even younger.

"We want to improve the image of engineering and try to persuade engineering graduates to stay in the industry. They're numerate and many of them end up becoming accountants or going into the City."

BAE, with 15,000 engineers among its 37,000 staff and 700 vacancies at its Eurofighter plant near Preston, says it has had encouraging feedback from some of the 30,000 pupils already exposed to its roadshow.

Dick Olver, BAE chairman, used the start of National Science & Engineering Week, to launch its schools' education programme and call on British business to double its efforts to support initiatives aimed at improving engineering skills or risk being left behind in terms of global competitiveness.

Its not a skill set we need to preserve, its a skill set we need to regrow.

Quality engineers in the UK have been on the decrease as less people are taking Engineering degrees and other engineering based qualifications. We need to encourage more people to get into engineering or we could lose a whole chunk of capability in the future!

OS

This is hardly news. It was part of the companies public affairs programme when I left it in the early to mid nineties. It is a thoroughly excellent initiative and an example of one of the reasons why it is difficult to decide whether BAE are pants or top!!

Are there not laws regarding the wooing of nine year olds?

And embracing missiles sounds rather dangerous to me.

Once again, journos miss the big picture.

Whilst it may be poo-poo in the left leaning middle classes to be associated with the defence industry, do they fail to see the advances in every day life that have been brought about by the research carried out for the defence industry?

The computer
The internet
Emergency medical care
Industrial manufacturing
Air travel

The list goes on...

I had nearly twenty years in the defence industry. I sleep nights and my children are fed. Moreover, with the exception of my taste in fat birds, predilection for snuff and over-enjoyment of malt whiskies, I would argue I am a moral man.

Liberals are the price you pay for having an effective defence culture.

Cuddles said:
Hear hear. Well said that man.

I think they sometimes forget they have the luxury of being able to be "liberal" because people have fought and died for it.

Its planes, tanks, troops and nuclear deterents that keep their freedom of speech alive.

TB

Cuddles said:
I had nearly twenty years in the defence industry. I sleep nights and my children are fed. Moreover, with the exception of my taste in fat birds, predilection for snuff and over-enjoyment of malt whiskies, I would argue I am a moral man.

SNUFF? SNUFF! jebus wept we're applauding the mans love of killing wimmin on screen