BAE Systems - anyone ever worked there?

So this STEM returners program recruiter I've been talking to emails me today saying I would be a good fit for this STEM returners program run by BAE Systems - in freaking Portsmouth (never been there) - I said, sure go ahead and put my name forward - what's the worst that can happen.

I literally have no idea of the working culture at BAES, researching a few Glassdoor reviews - some good, some bad, but wanted to find out anyone from ever worked there.

It's a 12 week program to ease people back into work - if you're successful, they offer you a full time position. But would be nice to get some inside info on the working culture over there. There is a good chance I might need to go through the SC process, which should be fun.

Not worked there but BAe are a customer.

Very procedure bound and security conscious. Lots of admin paperwork on jobs.

Have been a customer, a supplier and now an employee! Standby - PM inbound! :)

So this STEM returners program recruiter I've been talking to emails me today saying I would be a good fit for this STEM returners program run by BAE Systems - in freaking Portsmouth (never been there) - I said, sure go ahead and put my name forward - what's the worst that can happen.

I literally have no idea of the working culture at BAES, researching a few Glassdoor reviews - some good, some bad, but wanted to find out anyone from ever worked there.

It's a 12 week program to ease people back into work - if you're successful, they offer you a full time position. But would be nice to get some inside info on the working culture over there. There is a good chance I might need to go through the SC process, which should be fun.
Portsmouth; quite simply a shithole unless mincing about in Gunwharf Quays.

Portsmouth; quite simply a shithole unless mincing about in Gunwharf Quays.
Agreed but pretty irrelevant if you're only commuting into work. No one in my team actually lives in Portsmouth permanently!!

Never worked for them but there were plenty in Oman 84-85. Goods lads and well respected until one day they were caught tracking a civilian aircraft with an airfield defence system called Rapier.
Cue red faces all round and the brass were apoplectic.
I'm sure it's been forgotten by now so you could mention it as an ice breaker at interview.

Never worked for them but there were plenty in Oman 84-85. Goods lads and well respected until one day they were caught tracking a civilian aircraft with an airfield defence system called Rapier.
Cue red faces all round and the brass were apoplectic.
I'm sure it's been forgotten by now so you could mention it as an ice breaker at interview.
And why exactly were they doing that?

With respect to an interview, it will probably a while before anything comes out of this. And if other options haven't worked out.

Agreed but pretty irrelevant if you're only commuting into work. No one in my team actually lives in Portsmouth permanently!!
Gosport isn't much better either ;)

On a serious note, I have a couple of friends who have completed an apprenticeship at BAE Systems, one as a sheet metal worker, and the other in marine engineering. Both spoke highly of the company but i do recall of one complaining about the military culture.

I worked for BAE in Pompey about 5 years ago, initially as a contractor then later employed by them. I was happy to work for them and a large number of the staff are ex-forces, mainly navy in Portsmouth, as you might expect.

I know nothing about this STEM returners programme* you are talking about but getting in & out of the dockyard by car can be a right royal pain in the arse. Traffic queues halfway round the dockyard when it's kicking out time.

I rented a flat just outside Victory gate which was quite expensive for what it was but it was a short walk into work. I then rented a house out in Clanfield which meant something like a 13 mile each way commute. That in itself is not a problem but the wait to get in and out of the yard was a drag.

I don't like Portsmouth and I didn't like living there. There are some nice places in the surrounding area but these can be expensive. One of my colleagues used to commute in from the Isle of Wijjit.

In the absence of anything else, give it a go and see how it works out. It will at least be a good CV filler, working for an international defence company, even if you afterwards decide the role isn't exactly what you want.

*You're British now, get used to the proper spelling.

Gosport isn't much better either ;)

On a serious note, I have a couple of friends who have completed an apprenticeship at BAE Systems, one as a sheet metal worker, and the other in marine engineering. Both spoke highly of the company but i do recall of one complaining about the military culture.
Correct they like ex mil types.

I know of people who have been employed at BAE, but worked there?. That's a totally different spieces, and a bloody rare one at that.

I worked for BAE in Pompey about 5 years ago, initially as a contractor then later employed by them. I was happy to work for them and a large number of the staff are ex-forces, mainly navy in Portsmouth, as you might expect.

I know nothing about this STEM returners programme* you are talking about but getting in & out of the dockyard by car can be a right royal pain in the arse. Traffic queues halfway round the dockyard when it's kicking out time.

I rented a flat just outside Victory gate which was quite expensive for what it was but it was a short walk into work. I then rented a house out in Clanfield which meant something like a 13 mile each way commute. That in itself is not a problem but the wait to get in and out of the yard was a drag.

I don't like Portsmouth and I didn't like living there. There are some nice places in the surrounding area but these can be expensive. One of my colleagues used to commute in from the Isle of Wijjit.

In the absence of anything else, give it a go and see how it works out. It will at least be a good CV filler, working for an international defence company, even if you afterwards decide the role isn't exactly what you want.

*You're British now, get used to the proper spelling.
Agreed re Dockyard but he could be in Broad Oak.

(Delurking civvie alert!)

Granted it was over a decade ago but my time at Messybeast was the best 7 years of my working life. I worked at a number of their home counties sites, starting in Milton Keynes as a contractor. The work was interesting but it was the culture that really sold it. There was a positive, friendly culture and people were always open (within the bounds of security, of course).

Little known fact - Portsea Island, upon which most of Portsmouth stands, is the third largest island in the British Isles by population.

Latest Threads