BAe succesful in purchase of Armour Holdings Inc.

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Biped, Aug 17, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

BAe finalised the details of its purchase of Armour Holdings Inc. on 31st July 2007. This means that it now owns the company that makes the Humvee, Pinzgauer and others in the Mine Resistant Ambush Protected (MRAP) range of vehicles.

Armour Holdings Inc. also has partnerships and wotnot in place with Force Protection Inc., the manufacturers of the Buffalo, Cougar and Cheetah series of vehicles, known in the UK as the Mastiff and Bulldog (a couple of hundred of which are already on order for the MOD).

The cross-linking of the companies from across the pond with ours is rather incestuous, as are the orders going to those companies from the setpic and UK forces.

The hope now is that the MOD will buy Bradleys, Bulldogs, Mastiffs, Pinzgauers and maybe even the up-armoured Humvees from BAE (though I'd prefer to bussed about in the Force Protection 'Cheetah' than either the up-armoured Landy or Humvee.

The septics have put an order in for over $4 billion's worth of this sort of kit, and I hope that Gordo will give some serious consideration to backing our troops up with a big spend in the same direction.

2. Actually already have Mastiffs (I believe it's this vehicle, but possibly Cougar) in Iraq, 100 of them. Apparently they're doing well.

3. Goon, care to tell us which bases these "100" Mastiff's are on?

4. Whatever gave you that idea? :)

But no, good stuff really. Whatever gets more kit in!

5. Before you get your hopes up gents, let me refer you to Lions, Donkeys and Dinosaurs by Lewis Page. A book that explores the military spending etc, for those who have yet to read it. Mr Page is ex RN and very pro military by the way. Read what he says about BAE with all the evidence provided. The kit mentioned may be available when it's out of date and too late. Just thought i would mention it.

6. Actually, Force Protection, Inc. is well prepared to support the UK in providing their newest and best vehicles (the Cheetah).

FPI recently purchased almost a half of a million square feet of manufacturing space just to produce Cheetahs. They estimate that the first one's will roll of the lines this Fall.

It is quite understandable that the UK Forces desire a smaller, more agile vehicle that has equal or better protection from mines and EFP's as the Mastiff which is the "gold standard" at this time.

It's rumored that the Cheetah meets or exceeds every safety feature of it's bigger brother and costs about half as much.

It would be interesting to hear if the PM's are planning on funding / ordering these as a stop-gap while waiting to purchase vehicles under the MPPV and FRES programmes.

Many assume the Mastiff will be the vehicle of choice under MPPV (which should be tendered shortly) but I submit the Cheetah would be a much better fit.

Thoughts?

Mr. Z

7. Bulldog is the upgraded version of FV432 now in service with the British Army. It has nothing to do with the vehicles you mentioned. Cougar (known to the British Army as Mastiff) is already in service, as is the armoured Pinzgauer truck (Vector). More are on order.

http://www.mod.uk/DefenceInternet/DefenceNews/EquipmentAndLogistics/PosterTheBattleBuses.htm

B