Badr Brigade will miss Brits....

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by rampant, Apr 30, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. rampant

rampant LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

John Simpson on BBc News tonight interviewing the leader of the Badr Brigade:

"When I went to see the political head of the Badr Brigade, now that the British are leaving for good, I expected him to be crowing over his militia's supposed victory.

On the contrary, Forat al-Shar'a was full of praise for the way the British had behaved in Basra.

They were, he said, cleverer than the Americans, and had treated the Iraqis with great wisdom. They knew what had been required here, and the fact that the British were leaving peacefully is a genuine achievement.

That came from their worst enemy here.

Ordinary people I have spoken to agree. They are worried about the Americans, who they think will be aggressive and hostile, and they speak of the British leaving with genuine regret. "

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8027797.stm

I suppose only time will tell what will happen next... Thoughts?

2. I've just listened to some US officer on R4 say something along the lines of 'the British Army was defeated etc etc'. Quite extraordinary.

Personally I can't wait to see the US undo everything we've achieved. I don't really want to see it of course, but I'm pretty sure we will.

If it doesn't happen then I'll be very happy.

3. If it all goes wrong it will be proof of how the British messed it all up and that peace didn't last.

If it all works then it will be proof of how the British messed it all up and that it took the Americans to make it work.

I don't think for a second that it went as well as it could, but I don't believe that it was anything like as bad as some in the media like to paint it.

4. rampant

rampant LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

I agree, and significantly we were hamstrung by unclear, indecisive political leadership, and even more so economicallly through resources. Indeed it can be argued that we achieved a victory, although it can more easily be claimed that we were defeated. The use of force must come with clear political direction and purpose.

How the Americans will handle it from here on in will be interesting, one could argue that it was not Bush who brought freedom and stability to Iraq but David Petreaus, and he learned from the lesson that we only half remembered.

5. The coverage on ITV took completely the opposite tack, about how we lost it and achieved feck all. :roll:

6. Compliments from al Hakim's Badr brigade? What next, floral tributes from their mates in the IRGC?

Bit of a lash up Basra. It started well, then was run on a shoe string. Better out of it.

Technically SOFA cuts in on June 30th. That means US troops are off the city streets in Iraq. The Septics are trying to negotiate exceptions in the troubled North but I've heard nothing about that in Basra. I doubt the polite chaps in the Badr Brigades will be much inconvenianced by US troops.

7. Spot on! But you forgot;

If it all works then it will be proof of how the British made it work and then the Americans rewrite history to show it was them. Oh and make a film about it to prove it.

8. Did General Honda praised the intelligence and wisdom of General Percival for surrendering Singapore to a far smaller Japanese army, while the gung-ho Yanks continued holding out on Corrigedor as well?

9. Ive got a number of doubts about the accuracy of the BBC report in the link.

From my experience (and i admit things may have changed dramatically) Badr Corp was the military wing of Sciri (effectively now the political power in Iraq). When Sciri changed its policy from pro Iran to anti Iran (interference in the political process) Badr corps cut its ties with the IRGC.

The IRGC were heavily involved (allegedly) in the development of the small shia breakaway organisations such as MIRI etc (in order to backfill the gap created by Badr's withdrawal). who later mostly found their way into the clutches of the Jaish Al Mahdi.

Badr had a policy of supporting the Iraqi powers and placing its personnel into the Army and police forces (though admittedly JAM held distinct units within the police responsible for attacks on the British).

JAM did turn against British troops in Iraq, with IRGC support, but i have no recollection of Badr ever having been involved in hostilities against the Brits. I do recall Badr Corps attacking the JAM headquarters nationwide on IIRC 14 Aug 2005 in an attempt to stop the EFP campaign that was killing British troops and undermining Sciri as a political power.

there was certainly a number of attacks which had a Badr signature, however this was mainly on an individual and small unit level rather than a Badr directive.

when the IRGC mobilised the Shia militias against the coalition it was nationwide as a result the Americans did get a piece of the action.

I understand that there has been trouble since i last left Iraq so the situation may have changed, but it would be a complete turnaround if indeed Badr was responsible for this.