Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Badges of Rank PowerPoint

Linso

Clanker
Hi all,
Just wondered if anyone had the above mentioned for a last minute presentation I have offered to give a local army cadets, who are really struggling.
Thanks in advance,
Linso

They use this crud? The word Corp does not exist, except in the mind of some idiot who calls a corporal by it. Said idiot should quickly be covered in spittle by the corporal concerned.

.... and that one has a number of errors, the most obvious being the bottom of the RAF tree is an Aircraftsman (AC), a recruit - no badge, the Aircraftsman badge shown should actually be Leading Aircraftsman, (LAC) which doesn't mean a lot except he either has a trade and has not yet held it for a year, or has been in a year trying to get one.

Surprise surprise that something the MoD has up in its offices isn't entirely accurate. Tragic.

Perhaps you can best assist the OP then dear fellow.

Not for me to set them right, but which one is plastered over MOD walls - "Special to Corp" or the cr@p falling from above - a metaphor I rather like, but with inaccuracies?

They use this crud? The word Corp does not exist, except in the mind of some idiot who calls a corporal by it. Said idiot should quickly be covered in spittle by the corporal concerned.

.... and that one has a number of errors, the most obvious being the bottom of the RAF tree is an Aircraftsman (AC), a recruit - no badge, the Aircraftsman badge shown should actually be Leading Aircraftsman, (LAC) which doesn't mean a lot except he either has a trade and has not yet held it for a year, or has been in a year trying to get one.
Do something useful or jog on.

Do something useful or jog on.
Fair enough. I don't like to be negative so would add that the first half of your first linky is about as useful as the OP is likely to find, but WO2 needs an explanation. The second half is historically accurate but could confuse the kids - again at the Warrant Officer level.

Fair enough. I don't like to be negative so would add that the first half of your first linky is about as useful as the OP is likely to find, but WO2 needs an explanation. The second half is historically accurate but could confuse the kids - again at the Warrant Officer level.

Juts to add to the confusion; the ACF do not have Warrant Officers. What appear to be Warrant officers are Sgt Maj Instructors (SMI), ie no warrant.

But you probably knew that.

Last edited:
Don't forget to tell them that sometimes the best term benefits come from 22 years as a Private/Gunner/Trooper/Airtrooper/Signaller/
Guardsman with ability on retirement to rub shoulders as equals with those that retired as RSM.

Juts to add to the confusion; the ACF do not have Warrant Officers. What appear to be Warrant officers are Sgt Maj Instructors (SMI), ie no warrant.

But you probably knew that.
Which we constantly remind them off when they go on about the WOs and Sgts Mess....

Although the cadet forces do have a Warrant now, their officers no longer hold a queens commission, it’s now a warrant.