"Badges I dont need no stinking badges!"

About 2005 I think.

The reason? Above my pay grade im afraid.

CanteenCowboy

LE
Book Reviewer
I can remember TRF’s as early as early 90’s, sure those posted into 39 Bde HQ wore them. We had small Regimental TRF’s from 93, if memory serves, on the left arm. Because we had to be different

I can remember TRF’s as early as early 90’s, sure those posted into 39 Bde HQ wore them. We had small Regimental TRF’s from 93, if memory serves, on the left arm. Because we had to be different
Until mid 2000s I can only remember wearing the small Union Flag on my arm.
There was some postings and tours where you had to wear flashes though.

Wasnt early 90s. We were in lightweights and jersey heavy wool back then.

W21A

War Hero
Book Reviewer
Agree with Canteen Cowboy. Amalgamation was followed by TRF pretty quickly. (Also see my small rant about belts.)

HLD DMR, PWRR get the tiger after our (QUEENS R.HAMPS) amalgamation in 92. But when the TRF came in later we ended up with the TRF on smocks. When we went to CS95 we ended up sowing tigers to shirts DPM that replaced the OG shirts, that left us with TRF smock tiger shirt.

I recon almost all original TRFs have all but disapeared, yet the PWRR still have ours which leaves a mix of tiger and TRF, which brakes my OCD.

They became all the rage after Granby I believe we got our red rat 4Bde their black rat before it all kicked off and the ‘Blackadder’ appeared about the same time along with NBC flashes

We sewed shoulder titles on our CS95 when the new uniform came in. Somewhat surprisingly, that was in about 1995 (we got the SA80 in 1991 which was more like par for the course).

It seemed like about 5 minutes later that we were told to remove the shoulder titles and were issued a single TRF - further TRFs could be bought from the G10 store.

So the reason for their introduction may have had something to do with a financial enterprise.

When might you have to tactically recognise anyone?
Well, in our case, it coincided with an Army-wide edict that stable belts were no longer to be worn. This edict was dutifully ignored by all ranks, not least by the SNCOs who had jumped through hoops in years gone by, cajoling Sappers that it would be a really good idea if they were to look like everybody else for a small outlay of £12.

We never were issued with a CS95 belt anyway.

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
About 2005 I think.

The reason? Above my pay grade im afraid.
No before that...late 90s...I was in when they came in, left in 2005

1539386728805.png

This one is from the Persian gulf circa 1970 Roughly translates as British forces in the gulf as far as I can remember