Badge Spotters

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by BlackHand, Feb 6, 2004.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I know a bloke who is a bit of a badge spotter. He has a badge which he can not find out the origin of. He asked me if it was British - but it’s nothing like I have ever seen. As he doesn’t think it’s Kiwi or Aussie I said I would ask on here.

See picture below
  2. a picture would help.

A laurel wreath ususally points to being British, although it could be Canadian as well
  3. [​IMG]

Any offers to the identity :?:
  4. ViroBono

ViroBono LE Moderator

I can identify the badge in the picture - it is a small red 'x' on a white background.... :roll:
  5. Might be an RAF Regt (Sqn) badge

(RAF Style background, plus RAF bird above two crossed rifles )
  6. ViroBono

ViroBono LE Moderator

If it's an RAF badge I can probably identify it - but all I can see is the little red 'x'.
  7. ViroBono

ViroBono LE Moderator

No - I'm on a computer at work and the internet nazis seem to have determined that military badges are very naughty things to be looking at, and have blocked the site. Probably explains the red x, too. I'll have a look later on my own computer.
  8. [​IMG]

now VB?
  9. ViroBono

ViroBono LE Moderator

Thanks MC. It isn't one of the obvious ones. I'll cast about and see what I can come up with.
  10. ViroBono

ViroBono LE Moderator

Have shown this around. We don't think it's RAF. It's actually crossed swords, which rules the Rocks out.

The thinking here is that it could be from Empire days, and possibly a glider badge of some sort. Maybe South Africa, Rhodesia or somewhere like that?
  11. looks like its got a motto beneath the wreath - I can't read it though - what does it say?
  12. wonder if its anti aircraft .. swords taking out the bird?
  13. Bit late on this - but I'm a newbie.

Looks like an embellished RAF PTI badge.

Flip it 180 so the eagle points the other way, remove the wreath and you've
    got a crab club swinger.

See this site,.