• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

Badge identification....infantry.

RP578

LE
Book Reviewer
No.1 is a Combat Infantryman's Soldier trade qualification badge which is worn on the right forearm on No.2 Dress. The second is a Class 1 Infantryman's badge which replaces the previous one on qualification. The last is the Platoon Sergeant/Serjeant Qual, gained after Senior Brecon.

The one you are missing is the Section Commander Qual, gained after Junior Brecon.

Cheers RP. I get the concept of Junior & Senior Brecon, and the basic infantry one, but how does the class one fit in (single bayonet with wreath), what do you have to do/pass to get that?

Attachments

RP578

LE
Book Reviewer
It doesn't seem to happen much these days in any sort of structured way, but there used to Class 1 cadres/tests which involved a Rifleman being proficient in weapon handling with five different Infantry weapons. Off the top of my head:
Rifle 5.56, LSW, GPMG, 51mm mortar and 9mm Pistol(?). Think there were some fielcraft and mil skills tests too.
You had to be a Cass 1 for a year before you got a shot at PJNCO cadre and your first stripe, but this is not rigidly adhered to.

RP578 said:
It doesn't seem to happen much these days in any sort of structured way, but there used to Class 1 cadres/tests which involved a Rifleman being proficient in weapon handling with five different Infantry weapons. Off the top of my head:
Rifle 5.56, LSW, GPMG, 51mm mortar and 9mm Pistol(?). Think there were some fielcraft and mil skills tests too.
You had to be a Cass 1 for a year before you got a shot at PJNCO cadre and your first stripe, but this is not rigidly adhered to.

Cheers RP, thats cleared that up nicely!!!

RP578

LE
Book Reviewer
enterprise said:
feild craft.
mapreading
skill at arms..--SLR..SMG..GPMG

was more but cant remeber..

NEVER SAW THOSE PRETTY BADGES THOUGH..
Depends on when your time was mate. They were actually introduced back in the 1980's at some stage, but no-one's ever really been bothered with them till lately. There seems to be a sudden fashion for this sort of thing being worn now. Then again if it's dress regs, then it's dress regs, what can you do. The problem/get out clause with my Regt (Rifles) is that they're effectively unavailable in the right colours.

RP578 said:
enterprise said:
feild craft.
mapreading

Depends on when your time was mate. They were actually introduced back in the 1980's at some stage, but no-one's ever really been bothered with them till lately. There seems to be a sudden fashion for this sort of thing being worn now. Then again if it's dress regs, then it's dress regs, what can you do. The problem/get out clause with my Regt (Rifles) is that they're effectively unavailable in the right colours.
MY TIME WAS AS MY SIG..

1976--1986

enterprise said:
feild craft.
mapreading

84mm BHE (battle handling exercise)

Map reading also included doing a route planner for a 4 tonner.

Cant remember any others.Remember failing though :(

Along with loads of other guys 8O

What is it with all these badges then?
Never saw them in my time (80's Cold War Infantry BAOR nothing special).
If you're not qualified to fire a GPMG, carry heavy weights in the rain and light a fag in a high wind then why are you wearing an infantry cap badge in the first place?
It's just a statement of the bleedin' obvious and seems all a bit American Boy Scout to me - harrumph.

Latest Threads