Badge honours Bevin Boys service

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Mad_Moriarty, Feb 9, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Thousands of men conscripted into the pits as miners during World War II are to be recognised for their contribution to the war effort.

More here

2. maninblack

maninblack LE Book Reviewer

Only 52 years later than it should have been and a badge instead of a service medal.

3. So where are the badges for everyone else who contributed to the effort but not on the front line? The women who held the country together as an example?

Whilst i don't question the contribution the boys made, so did a lot of others at home!

4. The point is that the Bevan Boys were conscripted.

5. Too little, too late.

Must declare a personal interest in that I worked in a pit before joining the Army and my father in law was killed in an accident in a pit.

The production of coal was vital to the nation's interest and survival during WWII. Mining the coal was exceptionally hard work and dangerous.

An uncle of mine was Deputy Clerk for the City of Manchester during WWII and he was awarded the Defence Medal. Why was, or is even, there no medal for the 'Bevin Boys'?

6. Surely the Bevin Boys must be entitled to the Defence Medal ?
    I find it astounding if they are not.

7. You had no choice whether to be conscripted to the Armed Forces or to the mines. On one hand you could get rank, medals & social recognition, on the other you got coal dust under your nails.

When all your mates are pulling birds with their service uniforms, then sailing off to far-flung countries to take part in famous battles, to come back with war stories, you are stuck deep underground in Yorkshire for years. I know how I would have felt.

Recognition is overdue.

8. Recognition is overdue.[/quote]

I agree.

9. I quite agree - long overdue. Is there a memorial? If someone can put up memorials to animals and to a load of hats and coats in London then there must be one for the conscript miners?

10. Will somebody who knows about medals please clarify something for me.

For service in WW2 I believe members of the Police received the Victory Medal as well as the Defence Medal.

Firemen received just the Defence Medal I think.
    Why did they not receive the Victory Medal just as the police did. In my opinion a lot of those firemen deserved the George Cross, not just a Defence Medal, but the wearers will know what their medal is worth.

And of course, why did the conscripted Bevin Boys not receive the Defence Medal when, if I am correct it was available to Fire Watchers, First Aid Workers, and a host of others.

It does seem something is very wrong here, and I would appreciate it if somebody can throw some light on it.

Not even the 'Commemorative Medal' people have tried to cash in on the Bevin Boys. 'Forgotten Conscripts' indeed.

Thanks

11. My Grandfather was a Bevin Boy. He's been dead for 16 years now, and I suspect that a good few others of them are too.

Talk about late then.

I also note from reading the article that the award is not to deceased men too.

Appalling.

12. Sounds like a thirty-year-late blairite scam to round up a few more "working class" votes.

As someone has mentioned - the whole country was mobilised and millions of people in reality had little choice about where they worked. What about all those in "reserved occupations" who didn't get anything by way of recognition. E.g. my old grandad got no award for being a key engineer in the Merlin engine programme - and just how important did that turn out to be?!

13. I would put good money on your grandfather being far better off than the average person, doing a job he was trained for in a comfortable environment. Rather different from being sent to work in a coalmine when you have no previous experience of the environment! Not detracting from the value of his work, but he wasn't forced to do it was he?

14. If you were in a 'reserved occupation' (eg farmer) did that mean (a) you couldn't undertake military service or (b) you didn't have to undertake military service?

15. Dilfor is that a rhetorical question for the benefit of 4(T)?

I'll answer anyway! Being in a reserved occupation meant that you weren't considered for compulsory military service. It did not stop you from volunteering for service. Some civil servants, however, may have been persuaded not to volunteer or found their applications turned down in order to prevent a haemorraging of essential staff to the Armed Forces.