Bad weather on the hills

Discussion in 'Sports, Adventure Training and Events' started by Fang_Farrier, Jul 5, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Fang_Farrier

Fang_Farrier LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Apparently "Severe gales making very difficult walking conditions" and "Significant wind chill" is enough to put folk coming up Ben Nevis!

They chose to do it, made me take off work to take them and now they won't go. They being Miss Fang's friends who agreed to do charity walk with her and Master Fang, and another of the parents.

Miss Fang and Master Fang willing to go(as they're as stupid as me) but wouldn't count for the sponsor money as not everybody who was sponsored going up Ben Nevis.

Have suggested last leg of Great Glen Way, 18miles from Drumnadrochit as alternative. That way can tell those that sponsored them that they did do something energentic for their money.

Unless anybody else has any bright ideas.

2. oldbaldy

oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)
    1. Battlefield Tours

That end of the Great Glen is boring, as I assume your up there why not do the last leg of the WHW, Kinlochleven to FW. I did it a few years ago with my, then, six year old granddaughter in not so great weather.

3. Fang_Farrier

We're up North of Inverness, so plan is to drive to Inverness, takes about an hour, then bus it to Drumnadrochit and return to cars via the Great Glen Way. I did it last year and realise it's not the best bit of the GGW but it is easily accessable from here.
    The other parent and supplier of half the transport does want to travel too far if we don't have to.
    Walk isn't until the morn but they wanted decision made on forecast. I wanted to still travel and make decision on morning of climb.
    It wouldn't have been ideal walking conditions up on the Ben but a challenge can be good for young folk!

4. FF why not try the Speyside way? Very picturesque and but too difficult and you will be protected from the winds for a fair bit of it. And you can pop into the distillaries along the way

5. oldbaldy

1. Battlefield Tours

Good idea Johnboy. Park at Aviemore, catch steam train to Grantown on Spey and walk back. Kids will love it.

6. Be canny if you plan to be on the hill tonight and tomorrow. We have some miserable weather coming in from the West just now.

7. Fang_Farrier

New plan is reduced party of me, Miss Fang and one of her friends go on Thursday. With waterproofs.

Master Fang is going off wild camping in the woods instead!

8. Good luck, we have a full gale blowing at sea level at the moment out West. Should be through Wednesday night just in time for the next one. Bloody global warming is nowhere to be found when needed.

9. Fang_Farrier

I think that's why they now usually use the term climate change rather than global warming!

10. oldbaldy

1. Battlefield Tours

Well you know what they say in Fort William.
    If you can't see Ben Nevis it's raining.
    If you can see it, it's going to rain.
    Good luck, If the weather is clear up there the views are fantastic.

11. Fang_Farrier

Never been able to see off the top before and don't expect the morn to be any different!

Next difficult decision, what malt to pop into the hipflask.

12. oldbaldy

1. Battlefield Tours

My god you do have some difficult questions!

13. Fang_Farrier

I said decision, not question!

Torn between Glen Ord and Old Poultney.

14. oldbaldy

1. Battlefield Tours

Old Poultney for me please.
    I take it you not far from the Glen Ord distillery.

15. Both, remember its better to be safe than sorry.