Bad Lads Army

Discussion in 'Films, Music and All Things Artsy' started by spike7451, Jun 12, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

The first season of BLA starts tonight on ITV4 at 2100Hrs.
    Dont think the Provost Sgt was in this one tho.

2. Does anyone actually watch this drivel anymore. It's all stage managed crap. :twisted:

I don't mean to piss on anybody's chips but come on! :roll:

3. :(

4. Well, it's better than big fucking brother.

5. Marginally

6. Don't get me started on big brother. :twisted:

7. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

ARRSE is a b** b****** free zone!Transgressors will be slabbed!

8. "you're all going to die"

9. Saw that bit. How cheerful was he?? 8O

It's still funny second time round.

10. is it the series with the ex-CCF cadet from boarding school? the one who thought he would be given his own section to mould and train? :D

11. I worked on the first series of this show a few years ago. I know for a fact that what you saw is basically what happened with no stage managing. It was a fairly new concept in those days and I think that the producers didn’t really know how it was all going to pan out.

The most obvious thing we noticed and mentioned at the time was that there was no beasting going on and frankly, if a real life recruit was to answer back in the way that the telly boys did they would be invited to short sharp interview with a couple of NCOs.
    The producer took this on board but obviously there was not much they could do about this glaring factual absence:

The rule was that the staff were, if necessary allowed to restrain but not actually strike the little bastids. Although the obviously would like to have done on many occasions.

Sadly in order to keep costs down and maximize profits for the production company, RDF media, they slightly stage manage things now.
    These productions should actually (IMHO) flag up at the beginning of the show that 'some scenes have been directed for entertainment value' In act, as they do on 'This simple life' - the Paris Hilton thing.

Shaky facts:
    The RSM was an ex-Greenslime WO and I think one of the two other staff was a serving para - although this does seem a bit unlikely now.

I had to take a Lee Enfield no.4 back the Para chap who was acting as armourer, He shuddered when he saw me slouching towards him (with my long hair, dodgy beard and baggy cargoes) However he did crack a grin when I halted, smartly and presented arms for inspection with the bolt open.

Edited for hang over induced brain numbed spelling

12. I think that could be the very one. He's a bit of tube isn't he?

13. Strangely enough, as I sit watching the show, I want to roundly beat all the little gits into the ground as we would have done under the old 'Tank Park Discipline' days.
    My ex wife was WRAC and was stationed with the RAOC where Cpl 'Greek looking fellow' was Regarded as <quote> A bit of a dick <unquote>. She also spent time at Marchwood where Chris Akabussi was Regarded as <quote> A bit of a TWATTT <unquote>. Therefore it's interesting to see this fullscrew perform.
    I enjoy BLA for a laugh - sort of reminds me of 75 at JLR RAC to a degree but we didn't have the lads' attitude, still got beaten though! But, it confirms my belief that, contrary to every belief expressed in any barbershop or pub conversation I've ever overheard or participated in, I don't believe that the civvy attitude of 'Bringing back conscription would sort the little feckers out!!!' would do anything but ruin the professional British Army. Mind you, who knows? If recruitment levels continue to drop thanks to increasing numbers in Afgoonistan and Iraq while we continue to pander to American wishes................how will the government deal with increasing the Troop levels??