Bad Faith vs Fraud

I am locked in a battle with a car hire company who have tried to claim on my credit card. From the info I have been given they have not only acted in bad faith so to speak but their records are so obviously at fault that I have to consider that this might be deliberate fraud. Where is the line in the sand?

I am locked in a battle with a car hire company who have tried to claim on my credit card. From the info I have been given they have not only acted in bad faith so to speak but their records are so obviously at fault that I have to consider that this might be deliberate fraud. Where is the line in the sand?
Ultimately it's where the court decides it is, but before that it's what a qualified solicitor advises you it is. All this will cost you time and money.

Ultimately it's where the court decides it is, but before that it's what a qualified solicitor advises you it is. All this will cost you time and money.
Thanks for that, if it's a credit card as part of a retail bank surely they will pick up the tab on my behalf, who is responsible for calling this to the court's attention? Is there anything the Police can do?

Don't rely on banks or credit card issuers doing anything.

You haven't given much detail, but if you think that there is fraud, report it - but don't be surprised if the police say it's a civil matter.

At a minimum, you need to let your credit card issuer know that you the transaction by the car hire company is disputed. Do this in writing as well as by phone, so that you have a paper trail.

Make a formal complaint to the car hire company's head office - in writing.

Ultimately, car hire and bad faith go hand in hand.

Fraud usually relies on the intent to commit an offence. Sheer bloody incompetence isn't criminal.
Being a bad businessman isn't illegal.-generally it's self-punishing when you go bust.
Being a businessman who does bad things on purpose is illegal.
The tricky bit is proving the intent.
Try here: http://www.actionfraud.police.uk/types_of_fraud

Thanks everybody , all in hand.

Depends how much you spend. If it's over £100 you can claim under section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act. The credit card company are required to resolve the situation.

There's a lot of legislation out there to protect consumers.

Can you give us details of what happened?

I collected all the information together. I made triplicate copies in print. This included 2 false claims by 2 seperate offices and I highlighted the multiple inconsistencies with each. I produced witness statements from reputable people who were willing to stand up in court under oath. I recorded events in tabular form then sent the bank a formal letter of complaint. All this information was forwarded to the bank to the dispute department in hard copy using recorded delivery mail. The bank had credited my account when I entered the dispute , this morning I was advised that they had completed their investigations (60 days passed) and they would not be debiting my account for any further sums in relation to this dispute. I guess that's a posh way of saying you won. Now that they cannot take my money, what is the best way to get back at them for causing me so much grief in their attempts to try on what was nothing short of a street robbery? As this car was hired by the RAC surely they would need to have a copy of what happened? How about the hire company Chief executive? How about the bogus claim made by the so called repair asessment agency? If they had so clearly produced false documentation after the event would this be of interest to investigators in Companies house? or should I just go down to the local depot with a journalist and photographer and demand an interview with the manager on a Roger Cook type of mission.
BTW The fraudulent claimants are :
National Europcar
Glassmatix
The Branches concerned are Swindon and Plymouth
At no time during my dispute claim did I use terminology as Thieving Batsrads or Fraudulent Lying Ctnus but I was tempted to many times.

I collected all the information together. I made triplicate copies in print. This included 2 false claims by 2 seperate offices and I highlighted the multiple inconsistencies with each. I produced witness statements from reputable people who were willing to stand up in court under oath. I recorded events in tabular form then sent the bank a formal letter of complaint. All this information was forwarded to the bank to the dispute department in hard copy using recorded delivery mail. The bank had credited my account when I entered the dispute , this morning I was advised that they had completed their investigations (60 days passed) and they would not be debiting my account for any further sums in relation to this dispute. I guess that's a posh way of saying you won. Now that they cannot take my money, what is the best way to get back at them for causing me so much grief in their attempts to try on what was nothing short of a street robbery? As this car was hired by the RAC surely they would need to have a copy of what happened? How about the hire company Chief executive? How about the bogus claim made by the so called repair asessment agency? If they had so clearly produced false documentation after the event would this be of interest to investigators in Companies house? or should I just go down to the local depot with a journalist and photographer and demand an interview with the manager on a Roger Cook type of mission.
BTW The fraudulent claimants are :
National Europcar
Glassmatix
The Branches concerned are Swindon and Plymouth
At no time during my dispute claim did I use terminology as Thieving Batsrads or Fraudulent Lying Ctnus but I was tempted to many times.

Write a snottogram to the Head of the Customer services departments, CC'd to the Chairman, explaining the case, and suggesting that they refund you the costs of doing their job for them.
Alternatively, talk to a solicitor about making a small claims case. Civil cases are a lot easier to prove than criminal (balance of probability vs beyond reasonable doubt) and the Courts are much more likely to make a settlement in your favour. You would need to work out how much you were out of pocket though.

PFGEN

GCM
Many moons ago I had a dispute with Europcar. They charged my credit card for enough fuel to take the car a tour of Britain although the number of miles quoted by themselves was 40 or so. Wrote a polite but firm letter to customer services resisting the temptation to pepper it with references to thieving, twunts, pikeys etc and what I wanted to do to them. Took a month or so for an answer but money was returned and problem was solved.

If somebody is trying to charge your credit card a call to the credit card company would stop that. If you dispute a charge they will send you a form to fill out and again stop charges pending investigation. They won't solve your initial problem but it will ensure that somebody at customer services of the company trying to charge you has to start a new case.

If that doesn't work seek the advice of a solicitor.

It appears that the second time around did the trick, Too many were so obviously lying and they were trying to charge me for damage that had been caused by a previous driver , to the tune of £500 no less. They weren't too clever though , I had the photos to prove it and also they had fucked up the mileage records. I think it was probably the mass of printed material that did it in the end. Too much is fudged or lost in this "appsy" era. I was thinking about charging them for my time at my professional rates. Still like the idea of turning up there with a journo and photographer. might even get to spill a gallon of diesel (accidentally of course) all over their paperwork. A few flicks of a lighter should put the willies up them.