Bad Drills FA

FA 'Blocks England Stars From Paying Respects'

A plan to send players from the England team to pay their respects to those who died at the Battle of the Somme has reportedly been blocked by the FA.

England boss Roy Hodgson is said to have been keen to send a group to a service at the Thiepval Memorial to the Missing of the Somme (pictured above).

The possibility was discussed with FA chief executive Martin Glenn and provisionally approved by the FA, before being scuppered by Dave Reddin, the FA’s head of performance services, according to the Times.
Would have been a nice touch for some members of the England Team to have been at the commemorations on 1st July.....

After all it's not like they will still be playing football then.....

After all the Somme was the battle of the PALS battalions where a lot of footballers some of them professionals died.

Last edited:
FA 'Blocks England Stars From Paying Respects'

Would have been a nice touch for some members of the England Team to have been at the commemorations on 1st July.....

After all it's not like they will still be playing football then.....

After the Somme was the battle of the PALS battalions where a lot of footballers some of them professionals died.
The footballers are free to go in their own time.

...on these tours they don't have much in the way of "their own time". They are chaperoned and cossetted to keep them focused and not allowed to wander off on their own. They are working.

...on these tours they don't have much in the way of "their own time". They are chaperoned and cossetted to keep them focused and not allowed to wander off on their own. They are working.
And when they are not on these tours they have plenty of their own time.

Security issues as well I would have thought. Not that it would be any great loss if the team coach got Miami'd.

If Martin McGuinness can fckuing make it I am sure a few overpaid namby pamby footballers can.....

And when they are not on these tours they have plenty of their own time.
...actually very little time - do you know what it must be like reading a Lamborghini brochure when you have to put your finger under every word and say it slowly out loud to build up the w o r d s

If Martin McGuinness can fckuing make it I am sure a few overpaid namby pamby footballers can.....
No one has said they can't make it. Are you getting outraged over nothing?

Their presence may overshadow the event. Still in .... adulatio. Knocked out .... mockery.

Either way the press would behave like - err, the press

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
The footballers are free to go in their own time.
That would mean they have to pay for it themselves - and we all know how poorly paid the England squad are! :rolleyes:

And exactly what difference would it make if they went?
They would be honouring their own glorious war dead and being humble to their sport at the same time....
The Sport and history of WW1 and the PALS are closely entwined.

Football Battalion - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Anyway the current manager thinks it would be good for them to go, Maybe to teach the players some humility and to be thankful for what they have.

I do realise that reading that link will be a learning curve for some of you....

And not forgetting of course McCrae's Battalion - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited:
They would be honouring their own glorious war dead and being humble to their sport at the same time....

Anyway the current manager thinks it would be good for them to go, Maybe to teach the players some humility and to be thankful for what they have.

I do realise that reading that link will be a learning curve for some of you....

And not forgetting of course McCrae's Battalion - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Informative I agree, as for modern footballers, well I don't think they can be compared to the guys of yesteryear in your links. The mamby pamby, oooh I tripped on a blade of grass knob jockeys that don't know they are born, let alone being humble, just isn't in their heads. Like I said, go or don't go, it won't make a blind bit of difference.

Last edited:

Anyone that's ever been to Murrayfield has probably had at least one in one of the pubs behind this memorial to Macrae's Battalion though neither of the Wili articles refer to it.

I remember the founder belting out "Rock your baby" in the discos of my youth.

A good man.

And exactly what difference would it make if they went?
You would have a serious and solemn occasion being turned into a media circus as the dregs of the journalistic world jostle with each other to get the best shots of the footballers and their wives (who would likely not dress properly for the occasion), you would have those with a below average IQ turning up just so they could get a glimpse of what they class as "real 'eroes", the probability of the overpaid nancies behaving like absolute chods on such a solemn occasion, etc, etc, etc.

No, I think NOT having such an "official" representation is a good thing, especially as most of them wouldn't have the slightest idea as to why they were there.....

Sadurian

LE
Book Reviewer
Agreed.

My brother passed out of Sandhurst in 1987 and the quest of honour was Diana (at the height of the media frenzy).

When she got off the platform to inspect the cadets passing out, the press literally swarmed the parade ground, knocking a number of cadets aside in their desperation to get photographs of Diana. It was appalling. Cue one enraged Sergeant-Major advancing at a fast pace to tell the 'gentlemen of the press' where to go, but the occasion had already been marred, especially for the cadets knocked aside.

If the England football team appeared at any memorial occasion, I imagine the result would be similar - the press turning it into a circus and ruining what should be a solemn event.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
chally2 Shooting, Hunting and Fishing 10
RABC The NAAFI Bar 26
Victorian_Major Weapons, Equipment & Rations 6