Bad & Bad news for Win 10 Haters

Bad News 1: Even though Win 10 is still plagued by ongoing problems with updates such as systems freezing, refusing to install if USB drives are present and even performance impacts on essential software Microsoft have announced they will end support for Win 7 in January 2020.

Bad News 2: It will cost $200 per year to purchase 'Extended Support' for Win 7 past Jan 10th.

Bad News 3: Option #2 is NOT available for home owners, there will be ZERO support after Jan 2020.

The only good news: Even though the FREE WIN 10 Upgrade has ended, it is still possible - but difficult - to get the free upgrade.
Instructions are here: Upgrade Link

My opinion is that the upgrade is worth it despite the flaws, yes, the almost weekly updates can be a pain in the dick but at least you can schedule the time frame when they can be installed.
Much better than going into a big important sales meeting, opening the laptop only to see the dreaded "WINDOWS UPDATES ARE BEING INSTALLED. DO NOT SHUT DOWN OR RESTART YOUR PC."
The presentation using a white marker board wasn't quite the same, especially as I was trying to sell a spreadsheet to the company. Good humour, being a good looking basturd, (shut up) and old time experience still got the sale though.

Win 10 is a complete and utter pile of shite for business users.

It's plagued with instabilities, full of fluffy crap for gamers that isn't needed and is time consuming to remove.

It's also full of MS spyware that, if you will allow it, will monitor every single keystroke you make.

I will be using Win 7 at home until my machine dies.

We are being forced into Win 10 at work because we have to be "cyber essentials" certified.

One of the exciting things is the lottery as to how Win 10 updates will break your machine. The last 3 updates have caused me to have to re-install printer drivers for our main work laser printer. Another update "broke" the USB3 ports on another machine until I re-installed and locked the original driver.

Ifyou have a machine more than about 4 years old expect that Win 10 will cease to support it shortly.

Did I mention that it's and utter pile of sh!te written by morons.

Windows 10 works for me, most of the time.
Admitedly this was 6 years ago, but in BFG we were still using XP with no change in sight!

I updated to windows 10 a few months ago it was easy peasy, free and windows 10 is just fine.
Bill Gates walt

I updated to windows 10 a few months ago it was easy peasy, free and windows 10 is just fine.
Same here. Free and easy. Works like a dream, even on this old laptop (decent one has a mobo issue - thanks Samsung, you dog eating bellends).

The upgrade path from Win 7 or 8 has always been free. You just had to look for it. MS might occasionally be tiresome but they ain't stupid.

I'm still using Windows 8.1 and never had any problems with it. When the free Windows 10 upgrade came out I down loaded it and installed it after I backed up my 8.1 system.

After installing Windows 10 I then backed that up should I ever want to use it and went back to 8.1

It's plagued with instabilities, full of fluffy crap for gamers that isn't needed and is time consuming to remove.

It's also full of MS spyware that, if you will allow it, will monitor every single keystroke you make.

We are being forced into Win 10 at work because we have to be "cyber essentials" certified.

One of the exciting things is the lottery as to how Win 10 updates will break your machine. The last 3 updates have caused me to have to re-install printer drivers for our main work laser printer. Another update "broke" the USB3 ports on another machine until I re-installed and locked the original driver.

Ifyou have a machine more than about 4 years old expect that Win 10 will cease to support it shortly.

Explains why BAES is moving to Win10. If they are using it you know it's broke :p

Diko

Old-Salt
Same here. Free and easy. Works like a dream, even on this old laptop (decent one has a mobo issue - thanks Samsung, you dog eating bellends).

The upgrade path from Win 7 or 8 has always been free. You just had to look for it. MS might occasionally be tiresome but they ain't stupid.
Thats right you just have to look for it.

Yup, we've had no end of problems when it upgrades.

It caused server disconnections, security programme conflicts all sorts of random glitches.

I have been putting off updating from Win 7 to 10 but I've just bitten the bullet and gone for it. Everything generally seems ok. It took a couple of hours to install and you can still get Win 10 for free from the Microsoft website. I've turned off Cortina and as much of the tracking stuff as I could find but there will be some that I've missed. I've also turned off a load of the background resources stuff and I'll turn off the search indexing.

The real fun will be tomorrow when I start plugging my audio interface which is connected by firewire and a few of my synths that have software editors. I think the synths will be ok as Win 10 has been around for a while now but the audio interface is pretty outdated in these days of USB 2 and 3.

I know the updates can be hell for people so I've enabled a timezone setting where you can choose when the PC is active and it should update when it's not active. ( between 3am and 9am) People say it works

I see enough business still using XP, which is the swiss cheese of IT security

Not had a problem with Win 10 here, install updates by scheduling and all patches are done once a week not had one issue with any business software not working.

We are "Windows 10 complete" in my workplace. Except we aren't. I'm in charge of I.T. Service Delivery, which means all the computers have to work. We did (against my strongest opposition) BYOD, and it was a bloody disaster. Now sacked off. I threatened to quit if they didn't wise up.

We're using the LTSB version of Windows 10, which should mean less pissing about. But it doesn't. Microsoft used to be absolutely brilliant if you needed help, but now you get some Mexican who has two answers: SFC /SCANNOW and system restore.

Security updates are fine, I get it. Feature Updates are a enormous pain in my ass. For no obvious gain or advantage, each machine has to swallow a gig of an update, spend 20 minutes rebooting and then my users are complaining of slow performance.

Some of the stuff we make in our plant is working off 15 year old laptops running Windows 98 or Windows 2000. I'm all over that, they're air-gapped anyway and 98 and 2K is simple. Yet we're getting "SECURITY UPDATE" nonsense from Raytheon who are getting very excited about stuff that (a) isn't an issue and (b) is none of their damn business.

Me: "Are you having issues because we are using Win 98 and 2K?"
Raytheon: "No, but we are concerned."
Me: "About what, exactly?"
Raytheon: "About your obsolete systems."
Me: "Those obsolete systems are not connected to any LAN. They are machine-minders. Next?"
Raytheon: "I don't like your tone"
Me: "Foxtrot Oscar."

Microsoft could do better. They KNOW how to do it. When I was in Jebel Ali, we had a big balls-up with our server. I had some hair then, and was pulling it out. Microsoft assigned a guy specifically to me, and he was a superstar, we got it sorted. Microsoft updated their knowledge base as a result, as the issue was one that had never been documented before.

They could do with that attitude now.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
hellsbrink Mobile Phones 21
jakeblues68 The Intelligence Cell 4
JoeCivvie Blue Jokes 0

Latest Threads