bad accounting

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Grumblegrunt, Jul 5, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Grumblegrunt

Grumblegrunt LE Book Reviewer

MoD has 'lost' £700m worth of firearms and radios - Home News, UK - The Independent

I was curious about this and wondered if they include all the guns we gave to basra coppers which wound up in insurgent hands the next day.

I assume the four years is because they will pull out of afghanistan and claim they left/destroyed/donated everything diffy.

like that lynx which crashed in NI with 80 tons of stores aboard from every army unit in the UK
  2. The next day? The IP were so corrupt that we were literally fighting them in the streets. On one occasion, we were called to a made up incident by the IP who directed us down a street where an EFP detonated against our vehicle. On another occasion, we were tasked to visit an Iraqi police station and provide some training. Upon arriving, one lad lost both his legs in a grenade blast and we were contacted by the IP, in uniform, from the police station itself. Slightly off topic, but wouldn't want to waste an excuse to big time it with war stories.
  3. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

I'm sure I'm not the only one when reading this who was thinking what complete and utter rubbish. Having been an SQMS for a period, this is just impossible.

Some spin doctor setting the military up with a bad reputation for more cuts.
  4. It is okay the MoD say they are not lost just don't know where they are
  5. The thing I always find amazing is how when stories like this break, its clear that not a single uniformed member of the armed forces has any involvement in the logistics chain at all, and its all down to the big nasty CS who magically lose all their kit. Perhaps if we made some reforms, which maybe included putting uniformed personnel in logistics and then making them responsible for the kit, all these problems would magically dissapear?

Oh for the day when people outside defence understand that its not as straightforward as saying 'If I push this button I can tell you where everything is right now"...
  6. Grumblegrunt, the four year timeline comes from the planned roll out of Management of the Joint Deployed Inventory project across defence. At the moment our Logistic Information Systems are based on single service process that replicated the manual accounting procedures that can be traced back to the days of the Peninsular campaign.

From the project website: ‘MJDI is a revolutionary new approach to the way the MOD manages its equipment and will bring significant changes to the way logistic business is carried out by the whole of defence. For the first time all three services will use the same processes and a single system for the management of the defence inventory.’

Ord Sgt, Jim30, the goal posts have moved. We used to account for stuff by quantity, increasingly the NAO want us to be able to account for individual items by serial number. MJDI promises to deliver the push the button solution to ‘I can tell you where everything is’. Until MJDI is fully deployed the MOD accounts will remain qualified.
  7. If you find one of the gats, I bags it.
  8. Good job no one reports when some ebil CS notices a pile of gats left alone and unwanted and takes them into protective custody until the owners remember they left them behind and come back looking for them, isn't it?
  9. Grumblegrunt

Grumblegrunt LE Book Reviewer

10. 'bad accounting' - I thought the thread must be about the accounting within the soon to implode European Soviet Union. There is NO accounting in the ESU. "Just sign here please" and bank hundreds of thousands of Eurines in unaudited, unaccountable EXPENSES.

The overflowing latrine that is the European Soviet Union ought to be abolished p.d.q - or at least this country GB should withdraw and tell the cheating, dishonest shits where to stich their laws and directives!!!!
  11. Equally interesting would be to know of the irrelevant kit still held in stores.

There was a story (apocryphal?) circulating
    in the '60s that hidden away in an RAOC depot was an enormous shed full of gas masks for horses. A left-over from WW1.

Only found when some visiting brass asked what was in the warehouse and no one seemed to know as it had been locked for years.