Discussion in 'Cookery' started by Bigdumps, Sep 5, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I think bacon is fantastic, there is truly nothing quite like a quality bacon sandwish, with thick quality bread, dry-cure bacon and (if you choose lashings of HP sauce).

Thing is, I noticed that the run of the mill, ordinary back bacon from supermarkets such as Sainsbury's, Tesco etc etc is really bad.

When cooked there forms a white salty scummy layer on and around the bacon, then the bacon shrinks to nothing. Its utter crap.

Then I thought I would try the bacon from the more pricey shops, such as Marks & Spencer's, Wairose and lo and behold...there is no scummy bits anywhere.

Why can't all supermarkets just sell quality ingredients?
  2. mwl946

mwl946 LE Good Egg (charities)

Buy it from the butcher - less likely to have water added which adds to shrinkage and said "white scum"
  3. Guns

Guns LE Moderator Book Reviewer
    1. The Royal Navy

I'm with you on this one. I am more than happy to spend more to get good quality bacon.

It would be an insult to match a good free range egg, butter, HP sauce and Raisin Bagel with such poor bacon.

A good local butch is worth his weight in gold.

These are the important matters of the day, sod the economy and the like. Good bacon and egg sarnies... now there is something worth fighting for.
  4. mwl946

mwl946 LE Good Egg (charities)

Now gagging for a good bacon sarnie you sods!! Not much cop as off out on night duty :( :( :(
  5. This just pisses me off though, why supermarkets sell shitty products. Many foreigners think British food is awful, and if you walk through a highstreet supermarket, you may well agree.

Local butchers, that is possible, though there isn't one near me, it seems the combination of Sainsburys and Iceland and have killed off the smaller shops.
  6. Quick question for the experts (as I'm feeling really peckish now): Does anyone have a good method for microwaving bacon?
  7. Have just polished off Two yes two Bacon Sarnies mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
  8. Fatherless. I'm still hungry. Tempting might it be, but cleaning the old George Foreman off isn't in my job description
  9. Happily for us and sadly for you, many of your expert butchers now live

I am able to purchase properly cured bacon and ham from a Dad and

Son combination that absolutely makes the mouth water. Thick and Crisp.

And they make their own Black Pudding......lovely. Not since I was in

Yorkshire. And do I mention their home made Pork Pies?

Dear Old Blighty....I love you and thank you. You have sacrificed so

much for me. :D :D
  10. I have a sort of griddle, it is a plastic sort of plate with ridges about a centimeter apart which is specifically for microwaving bacon. I have found though, it works just as well if you just put the rashers on a plate and nuke them, you get the same result. :D

I don't have any bacon here at work with me, so I'll have to have a ham sandwich instead. :)
  11. CUNT
  12. Microwaveable plate, two pieces of absorbent kitchen towel. Place the bacon between the kitchen towel (to absorb the moisture), nuke it for 2 minutes. Job done. Just as good as grilling, only with added cancer.
  13. Frying pan for me, I know its so wrong but thats what makes it so good.Oh and a strong cup of Tea
  14. Surely, unless you can fry an egg in a microwave, there's no point in nuking the bacon?
  15. Can't fry an egg in a microwave, but can poach them. Must remember to pierce the yolk, otherwise it explodes. Nice mess to clean up....NOT :)