Bacon jam's great! Honestly!

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by big ned, Jan 8, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Here's a potted meat spread which is technically a jam. It's delicious on toasted cheese and tomato, spread on burgers, egg banjo's, even on it's own on fresh crusty or even try it in pasta. You can make it as hot as you like by adjusting the chilli content and can replace the maple syrup with honey if you want.

I hope some of you try it, it's really good!

Homemade Bacon Jam

500g Smoked Bacon
    4 Cloves Garlic, peeled and chopped
    1 Medium Brown Onion, peeled and diced
    1 Medium Red Onion, peeled and diced
    2 tsp chilli powder or Dried Chillies to taste
    ½ tsp Smoked Paprika
    3 Tbsp Brown Sugar
    1 Cup Brewed Coffee
    ¼ Cup Apple Cider Vinegar
    ¼ Cup Maple Syrup/Honey
    Freshly Ground Black Pepper

In a large saucepan, cook the bacon until the fat is rendered, but not too crisp. Remove the bacon with a slotted spoon, and set aside. Pour the rendered bacon fat in a bowl for another use.

Meanwhile, heat the saucepan over medium heat with one tablespoon of the reserved rendered bacon fat. Add the onion and garlic and cook until the mixture is sticky and slightly caramelized. Then, add the Chilli powder/dried chillies, cooked bacon, smoked paprika, brown sugar, and give a good stir. Mix in the coffee, vinegar, maple syrup/honey, and some freshly ground black pepper. Bring the mixture to a boil, reduce the heat to low, and simmer for about two hours, stirring occasionally. If the jam starts to get dry, add a couple of tablespoon of water at a time.

Allow the bacon mixture to cool slightly before you puree it with a handheld blender to the desire consistency, or leaving some small chunks of bacon bits. It's best not to go too smooth!:thumright:

Spoon into sterilised jars and keep refridgerated. It'll keep a couple of months (If it lasts that long!)
    • Like Like x 2
  2. Nice recipe.
    One question, does it have to be fresh coffee or would common old Gold Blend suffice?
  3. Ravers

Ravers LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

I love bacon and I think it should be included in many more recipes. I applaud your experimental use of it in jam.

I'm off to bake a bacon sponge cake.
    • Like Like x 2
  4. Definitely NOT Instant - very important. you could also add 10cl of Talisker to the recipe for that extra kick................
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Merci bien Emsav, not sure that I would want to put any Talisker in it though.

Not while it can go down my neck that is.
  6. Fresh is good, but i've had excellent results with Douwe Egberts Instant Espresso too. Available at most B & N outlets.
  7. Cheers Ned, I think I will stick with fresh as I presume that is what the recipe demands.

I am doing a pressed Ox tongue this week and I have a spooky feeling that the bacon jam will compliment it perfectly.

Thanks for the idea :biggrin:
    • Like Like x 1
  8. I always try new receipes following the quantities and cooking to the letter, the next time I change the ingrediants or techniques.

My children have been taught from an early age;

'ALL food is improved by the addition of diced, fried, bacon!'

I will be trying this this week after shopping.
  9. BrunoNoMedals

BrunoNoMedals LE Reviewer

Bugger that, I'm doing a special shopping run tomorrow just to try this out!

Sent from my X10i using Tapatalk