Bacon Force

Discussion in 'Multinational HQ' started by tomahawk6, May 2, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. It’s bacon! New seasoning sent to troops

By Andrew Tilghman - Staff writer
    Posted : Friday Apr 25, 2008 12:06:19 EDT

What’s the worst thing about being deployed to a Muslim country? The flying lead? The 120-degree heat? No bacon?

If you’d pick “no bacon,” here’s good news.

A Seattle-area business is concerned that Marines don’t have enough bacon on deployment. The owners of J&D’s Down Home Enterprises are pushing their new product — “Bacon Salt.” It’s a “vegetarian and kosher seasoning salt that makes everything taste like real, delicious bacon,” according to the manufacturer.

Sprinkle it on burgers or fries, or leave it on the shelf for years. It doesn’t spoil, normally costs $4.49 for a small jar, and is available online at

The company’s motto: “Everything should taste like bacon.”

Soon, there might be some Bacon Salt on a chow hall table near you. The company is launching “Operation Bacon Salt,” which involves shipping free cans of their product to troops in combat.

“We have received reports back from the field that Bacon Salt actually pairs quite nicely with most MREs and military chow.” said Justin Esch, one of the company’s owners, in an e-mail.

The idea began when a Marine living on a small patrol base in Anbar province contacted the company and complained about a lack of bacon.

“I’m sorry to report, however, that although there are many amenities provided for us, regular access to bacon is not one of them,” the Marine wrote.

The chow halls at the large camps in Iraq and Afghanistan offer bacon, but many Marines at small bases can go days or even weeks without tasting the greasy pork favorite.

Bacon is unavailable elsewhere in the countries because Muslim scripture prohibits the consumption of pork.

“We hope that by supporting the troops in our own way we can help inspire other companies (with much larger budgets) to do the same,” Esch wrote.
  2. in_the_cheapseats

in_the_cheapseats LE Moderator

It sounds absolutely foul.

How much preservative must it contain to be able to be "left on the shelf for years"?

A product to avoid by the sounds of it.
  3. Perhaps flying pigs to make delivery easier to the harder to reach outstations?
  4. You have got to be kidding me. I don't remember a single local squawking about us eating ham slice MRE's or getting bacon with our hot chow back in the early 90's. I doubt any of them would complain now. Politically correct BS...
  5. Sounds like a solution looking for a problem. Most ration packs are predominately pork/ham/bacon based aren't they? The grim items I remeber were.

Advertising fluff for sure.
  6. Bacon salt to make MRE's taste better???? WTF did they do away with the miniture bottle of Tabasco sauce?

The way to eat an MRE whilst I was in was pour the Tabasco sauce on your tounge hold for 2 minutes then swallow it and then chuck the entree down your gullet.
  7. I got a tin of C Ration Ham & Lima beans I traded off some yankee redneck :D in the 70's, still not opened and ate them. Bacon salt is for poofs.
  8. I recall reading somewhere that in Saudi in 90/91 bacon eaten in American messes was called 'breakfast beef' to get around that sensitivity ....

Fark me, imagine a life without bacon!
  9. msr

msr LE

That'll be the salt :roll:

10. Surely the best way to make MREs taste better is to swap them for something else? Always found that the majority of them are made up of sweets and the rest is fucking foul.

I never noticed a lack of bacon or other pig products either in rat packs or cookhouses on ops.