Bacon and Egg Banjos

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by PotYos, Jul 23, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Where have they gone?

Always used to have them back in the good old days (Sandbag time?) but when I speak about those glorious gastronomic delights, sprogs look at me as if I'm some kind of inbred village idiot who has a fetish involving breakfast and small guitars.

Anyway it seems to me that no one seems to have them in cookhouses anymore, opting instead for a plate full of breakfast or *argh* a healthy option. So can anyone tell me when the Banjo went out of fashion or is still around and I no longer notice them?

I am of course munching on one right now.

Edited beause there was already a "What happened to" thread... My bad.
  2. your right there, i always have them on exerise, it just would not be an exerise with out one.
  3. Very much a favourite of mine, and I hope I will be forgiven for polluting it with Tabasco sauce.
  4. Of course the REAL gastronomic delight is the 'Egg Banjo' with Brown Sauce. Double Egg Banjo even!

At what point did it get tainted with bacon :?
  5. Had one this morning. The best hagover cure.

6. Ventress

Ventress LE Moderator

Top scoff, maybe only surpassed by compo sausages. (Unless the middle one was missing!)
  7. Bacon is a luxury not normally afforded to the common soldiery.

Egg banjos to me were night-time fodder in Northern Ireland. A hotplate would be left on in the cookhouse and cartons of eggs would be piled three foot high. Loaves of bread would be stacked beside them in huge quantities and margerine would be stacked like bricks.

During the night any patrol which came in immediately made for the cookhouse to indulge. There'd be UDR, RUC, Roulement units and any other Tom, Dick or Harry who would be passing through - all sitting around in a cookhouse which would make the Public Health man weep. Eggshells, bread and margarine wrappings strewn everywhere and plates all over the place covered with yellow streaks.

It didn't matter where you were operating, it was always the same LOL
  8. I'd like to think the humble egg banjo has moved on since it's first incarnations. What about Lincolnshire sausage with fried mushrooms and egg, with HP sauce in a crusty roll? Surely a modern classic. Having said that, when you're piss wet through in the field after a fortnight of getting f*cked around, a bog standard egg banjo is worth it's weight in gold.
  9. On one major ex in BAOR we were being feed by the yanks.
    What do you want for supper buddy?
    Egg Banjo's - Oh just leave out some eggs, bread & butter and we will make them ourselves!
    So they did - BOILED EGGS.
  10. It takes too long to make those creations. The beauty of an egg banjo is in its simplicity and quickness.
  11. Then of course we had RAOC Bread in BAOR - Always a Tuesday wraper. On Site Guards 'Egg Banjo's' were the prefered scoff when just in off stag. Bliss

Hot Standard NATO Tea and Egg Banjo - What else did you need?

Memories of sangers and midnight feasts in NI also come flooding back.....
  12. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

I have one for brekkie on Sat & Sun morning.BUT,call me a phylastine here,I toast the bread & use Lidl's bacon off-cuts as it's more like cook house bacon than the expensive £1.99 for 4 rasher sh1te!
    Even got miss spike hooked on the egg banjo (minus the bacon,she's a veggie!!)
  13. When you think back to it. That constant round of patrolling and lurking in NI and all the little habits we picked up from that and service in other parts of the world.

I still eat egg banjos and I still make currywurst using just ketchup and curry powder.

You can't beat these things.

I do draw the line at cheese and jam sandwiches though.
  14. As I recall: Runny Egg, Tuesdays RAOC bread, Compo Marg, Garlic Salt & Black Grit

none of that posh bacon stuff
  15. Was eating egg banjos back in the sixties and still get em now as Mrs Crazy likes em as well. Our son currently out in sandpit says he misses them and can,t wait to get back home for one or three. Pukka food. Food of the gods.