Backpacks for running

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by scooperman, Feb 13, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I've decided to start running home from work in a bid to get fit for selection. It's about 3 miles, mainly uphill, but the problem is, the one backpack i had causes havoc with my spine if i run with it, so i intend to try a few new ones out and see which suits best. Anybody got any recommendations to try, basically it just needs to be a daysack that will fit boots and a change of clothes?

2. Why not a good Karrimor one, cheap at the Moment from Sports World, picked up a 20ltr - 25ltr for about £8

3. Cutaway

Cutaway LE Reviewer

Don't listen to black--rider, the twat's talking kak... again !

Quite a few years back I tried a number of so-called running sacks by Deuter, some from Karrimor, and a few own brand from Blacks/Millets.
    Each type quickly developed faults such as the stitches giving way, shoulder straps cutting/inverting/tearing and frames breaking.

Luckily, and due to the amount of miles I was putting in, I could take each pack back & try another. (While the shop backloaded the wrecked examples.)*

In the end I settled on an after market military daypack that took the weight.
    The one I used was from Extra Range/Rangemaster, but Vanguard is just as good.

Remember that mil daypacks are designed to carry weight & while they might look more expensive than the civvy ones, you do get what you pay for.

* Two points:
    1. Take your MOD90 for a discount.
    2. NEVER tell them you're carrying a couple of sandbags in the pack !

4. Berghaus Dart 35...very comfortable even when running with 35lb of kit, can buy it in blue of Olive....well padded back and shoulder straps and good waist belt plus some useful side, front and lid pockets

5. Cutaway

Cutaway LE Reviewer

Forgot that one, I did try the 25 & 35 but they too came unstuck. Really strange when I was so impressed with the Crusader.
    However that was when they came out, so if you reckon they're ok then I'm sure they're stronger now.

6. Hi Cutaway, i've used mine had since '98 and regulary fill the fecking thing up with the weight mentioned when running, just so i can beast myself like a tw*t...it's still like new and it will last a lot longer than me.

7. Cutaway

Cutaway LE Reviewer

Glad to hear the teething problems of those packs were sorted. :)

8. I've used most of the Salomon packs while adventure racing, I can thoroughly recommend the Raid Revo 20 and 30.

9. Thanks for the replies guys, good advice as usual, Cutaway, i'm not actually in the forces yet, but i at least know which kind of rucksacks to look for, as the one i had caused murder with my back.

10. I've got a Berghaus Freeflow, which is pretty damn good. The back system's particularly comfortable and lets your back breath into the bargain. I think they do an ultralite version for fell-runners and the like.