Backing up Office 2010 to an external hard drive - How?

Discussion in 'Hardware - PCs, Consoles, Gadgets' started by BuggerAll, Mar 19, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. BuggerAll

BuggerAll LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Once again I shake my head in the tree of knowledge that is ARRSE.

I have downloaded Office Professional 2010 onto my PC. It advises that I should back it up onto a DVD or external hard drive. I also need to do this to install it to my laptop which is perfectly allowable under the licence.

The problem is that I can't find it to back it up. Searching for it only finds the shortcuts not the programs. I've Googled but as usual all I can find are lots of people asking the same question and not getting an answer.
  2. Mine's in a folder called 'MS Office 2010 HUP' under downloads, which contains a single 650 MB executable file ('x16-****.exe').

Try searching for something along those lines.

3. Try your download folder, as that is the default point to store such things.

You could try to download again, and see where it would have sent the file.

Personally, when I do such downloads (ie OEM software or other software) I download direct to the DVD.
  4. You could do a quick search for any files ending in .exe

If you're really stuck and you still have your licence key you can also download another copy for free from Microsoft, they'll even send you it for free on DVD if you prefer. I'd imagine that wouldn't include postage fees.

Microsoft Office 2010 Backup - Microsoft Office
  5. msr

msr LE

Then sort by size ;)
  6. BuggerAll

BuggerAll LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

I gave up in the end as did technical help from Microsoft. They allowed me to download it again and install it using my original key. They advise one to back it up but admit that it won't usually work when you try to reinstall it.