Back to the Future...Coal fired power station

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by semper, Mar 13, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. First Coal fired power station in 20 years

well since the "dash for gas" in the 80s, we seemed to have woken up and smelled the coffee, especially since Putin been grabbing everybody by the Goolies using gas supply as a political tool.
    I for one would not want to be beholden to such blackmail.
    we have at least 200 years of Coal also Gas can be produced from Coal Ovens, once Coal Gas has been drawn off, the remainder becomes Coke which will produce a cleaner burn, all this requires re investment since all the old gas producing Coal Ovens have been decommisioned years ago, the last one closed in north west Scotland in the 1980s
    Coal information, this also includes information on Coal Gas
    we also produce a lot of stuff from Coal, such as Tar, Petrochemicals, certain processes can turn it into Diesel and Petrol, amongst other uses.

read

2. If coalminers voted Tory you wouldn't be able to move, or breathe, for the fcukers.
    I saw that the last Hun coalmine shut down a few weeks ago. It took them a quarter of a century to stop throwing subsidies at them. If Chancellor Kohl was right we can expect the invasion of Poland to start in 6 months.

3. Mr_Fingerz

Mr_Fingerz LE Book Reviewer

The production of liquid hydrocarbons (gas oils, kerosenes, and light fractions) from coal and shale is simply uneconomic - if practical. British Coal (as was) tried to produce oils from coal shale at Point of Ayr Colliery in the 1990's. They abandoned the scheme because they couldn't make any money out of it.

Biofuels are cleaner, easier to produce, and, more importantly, renewable.

Much as I enjoy the delights of a coal fire, King Coal is not going to end the dependence upon Mr Putin's gas. :neutral:

4. Its all about the energy mix. Coal will be around for many years to come.