"Back To Church" Sunday - 26 Sep 10

This weekend sees the culmination of 2010's Back to Church campaign.

If anybody who lives near West Byfleet (I'm thinking in particular of the Patch) and isn't a regular churchgoer, but would like to see if it is for them, St John's Church is holding a 'Come To Church' service on 26 Sep 10 @ 1000 hrs as part of the 'Back To Church' campaign.

Sunday 26th September - 'Come to Church' Sunday with Parish Communion at 10 am; our response to the national 'Back to Church' campaign that also takes place today has a slightly different emphasis - whether a first time visitor, occasional worshipper, or someone who hasn't been to a church for ages, you are very welcome to join our service this morning. If you are not sure about where to go or what to do, one of our welcome team will be available to give as much or as little support and guidance as you want - this is your chance to explore what the church stands for, and whether or not it is relevant to your life today
It's not my 'local', but I've been on occasion. It is led by a husband and wife clergy team, Alan and Joy, has a good choir (new members always welcome) and very good regular organist.

If you don't live near Byfleet, 'Back to Church' Sunday events are being held across the country. If you're not sure where your local church is, then this CofE link or Evangelical Alliance link might be helpful.

If you would like to see if Church life is for you, but can't attend this Sunday, don't worry - you'll be welcome any Sunday :)

Why not just announce that Stars on Sunday will be filming on a particular weekend? The aisles will be jammed. So much so that when St Philemons in Toxteth was chock full of hypocrites trying to get on the telly, the Padre said, "Never again". Go figure.

Why not just announce that Stars on Sunday will be filming on a particular weekend? The aisles will be jammed. So much so that when St Philemons in Toxteth was chock full of hypocrites trying to get on the telly, the Padre said, "Never again". Go figure.
Well, I suspect (hope) that you've answered your own question. I believe that the idea is to get people to attend because they would like to rather than just for the opportunity to say "Hey! Look! There I am :)". Although if just one person ends up as a regular churchgoer or has their faith reaffirmed, then it's probably worth it.

P

PrinceAlbert

I live near west byfleet, still not going though. Sunday should not be spoilt by church

Well, I suspect (hope) that you've answered your own question. I believe that the idea is to get people to attend because they would like to rather than just for the opportunity to say "Hey! Look! There I am :)". Although if just one person ends up as a regular churchgoer or has their faith reaffirmed, then it's probably worth it.
Nice. Good luck, hope your congregation increases.

Is being a paedophile mandatory, or can normal people attend?
I'm sorry to disappoint you, but most people who attend are normal and, AFAIA, Anglican clergy/choirmasters/sunday-school teachers/helpers should undergo CRB checks.

Here's a link to the CofE policy

The House of Bishops produced its first child protection policy document in 1995, in response to the Home Office’s 1993 document Safe from Harm. This policy was later revised in 1999, again in 2004, and a new version is due to be published in 2010. The policy is in place to protect not only children and young people, but also those adults who are committed to working with and for them.
Child Protection Policy Statement by the House of Bishops

The Church of England, in all aspects of its life, is committed to and will champion the protection of children and young people both in society as a whole and in its own community.

It fully accepts, endorses and will implement the principle enshrined in the Children Act 1989, that the welfare of the child is paramount. The Church of England will foster and encourage best practice within its community by setting standards for working with children and young people and by supporting parents in the care of their children.

It will work with statutory bodies, voluntary agencies and other faith communities to promote the safety and well-being of children and young people. It is committed to acting promptly whenever a concern is raised about a child or young person or about the behaviour of an adult, and will work with the appropriate statutory bodies when an investigation into child abuse is necessary.