Back strengthening exercises

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Thaly81, Nov 21, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I have a rather weak lower back after a long period of inactivity/office work. It's not giving me any trouble yet but it soon may as I've just started a new job which entails a lot of lifting and carrying heavy loads. My upper body is fine, I have a decent workout a few times a week but I must admit that I've neglected my back and after a week or two in my new job I'm starting to feel the strain.

What sort of lower back exercises could I try? I'm getting a lot of conflicting information from books and online.
  2. Carry on doing what your doing, just learn to lift correctly, and a few weeks time your back will be as strong as oak.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Want to know how to lift perfectly? Watch a toddler pick something up off the floor it's pefection.
  4. Deadlifts. Start with a bar loaded with your bodyweight and work your way up.
  5. I'd need a trolley jack to lift my bodyweight.
  6. Google pelvic lifts, they're a good low-impact exercise that will strengthen your lower back.........amongst other things.
  7. Don't forget if you're targetting your back, you also have to target your abdominal core muscles or you create an imbalance.

If your work involves heavy lifting, have you had any manual handling training or guidance on safe moving of loads? I've put a link below to a HSE manual handling guide which might be worth a read!
  8. Yeah, had the safe lifting training. They take that very serious now.

I googled pelvic lifts and other things, which looks quite useful, thanks muchly.

What about dorsal raises and supermans? I've heard some don't like them because they compress your disks too much...?
  9. HHH

HHH LE

I take it you have that manual laminated and hung beside your bed, for the men to read before trying to get your knickers off. :)
  10. No I have a special hoist for that
    • Like Like x 1
  11. safe lifting done properly looks like you have back ache. FACT

takes a while to get used to it.

If you are a member of a gym with decent instructors, get one of them to show you some core exercises, they love that sort of shit and you'll gegood technique
  12. :? "the men"? At least a 2-man lift then? Ух ты !