Discussion in 'The Training Wing' started by angelwings, Nov 25, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi I found this forum today and I hope you will be able to answer a few questions for me. My son joined the Army some weeks ago. He has been back-squadded for 2 weeks. His Sargent or someone has told him he should leave and come back in a few years to get life experience, I am sure there is more to this than he's saying. He has accepted the back-squadded but what is the point in doing the back-squadded if in 2 weeks time he still says the same. Any helpful words on this would be most appreciated.
  2. maninblack

maninblack LE Book Reviewer

Back-squadding is the same as giving someone a chance to resit an exam. It is not a punishment although many seem to feel that it is.

It provides an opportunity for someone to have a couple of weeks to consolidate their learnign and go over it again.

If in two weeks time the answer is the same then either the method of learning doesn't suit him or he is not suited to the army. It is important to keep in mind that whilst there are countless opportuniteis to sit on your rear end drinking coffee at some point the pressure will be applied and the situation will demand extremely fast analysis, learning and response or the results will be one or more little pink bodies with holes in them. I have seen many who wanted to be in the army but the system can only provide a limited number of opportunities. if you can't do it then you can't do it; quite simple.
  3. How old is your son, and what corps is he in training for? It may be that he hasnt had a chance to mature yet, especially if he joined straight out of school. Some kids these days are so used to having things done for them ('mothered', for want of a better word), that Army life can come as a big shock to them. He might also be a complete shit/smartass too, but not necessarily. Would you describe him as a kid with an attitude problem?
  4. Just surfing around and happend on this, what a coincidence.

Maybe your son is just not up to speed with his mates at the moment or maybe he is just a little waster. If he's been back squadded, there's a reason for it and he'll not tell you the truth as those who get back squadded are too ashamed of it (for some obscure reason) and we end up with tales of being bullied because they are not programmed to accept failure, so rather than sort their shit out they wreck good careers. He's been given a life line here. Have a word with him and with yourself.

If it's really not his cup of tea, get him out before he becomes a liability. If he's still keen, get the truth out of him, kick his arrse and force him back in there. Who knows, he might just end up having a decent career and making something of himself. It is possible, it's just a matter of working hard, adjusting your attitude,learning from your mistakes and moving on.

He wouldn't be the first RSM to have been backsquadded a fortnight.