Back pain while tabbing

Just wondering if anyone has ever experienced pain in the upper back when starting to run with weights, if so how is this resolved.

Just wondering if anyone has ever experienced pain in the upper back when starting to run with weights, if so how is this resolved.
By not running with weights.

I cannot think of a single RMT that requires you to run with weights. It is a sure way to crock your knees and back, plus if you turn an ankle, you'll cause yourself a lot of damage.

I've got an image of this poor lad running through his local park with the big weights bar sticking out the back of his bergen with a few 20kg bells on it. Brilliant. :D
I have seen it done, without the bar of course. That was a recipe for pain rather than proper training. Clank, clank, backslap, shoulder shock etc. The shocks set up by that badly packed load affected vertibrae, knee joints, everything.

Nah, for a proper knee knackering system - not felt for another 20 or so years - you need to carefully size up heavy duty plastic bags that fit ammo and water-bottle pouches, fill with sand and black nasty up.

Run untold miles until you're fit enough to pass seniors and AACC and then continue to bash out 5 miles under 40 minutes with 35lb of kit in a day sack well into your late 30's/early 40's in the vain hope of being fit to lead/beast a Platoon of 20 - 30 years olds.

Fecking worked for me, and over the last week my left knee has painfully given way several times while walking up concrete stairs.

Yours,
Pi55ed Off , 59 and 2 months

Last edited:
I did an APWT with a daysack full of rocks once. Worst mistake of my life.
To answer the question, the weight should be distributed as much as possible, much of it being around the hips in the webbing.

anglo

LE
Join the RAF or Navy, save you a lot of pain in later years, none of this carrying half the world on your back,
Whist some daft NCO shouts at you.

TamH70

MIA
I did an APWT with a daysack full of rocks once. Worst mistake of my life.
To answer the question, the weight should be distributed as much as possible, much of it being around the hips in the webbing.
I did my have-to-pass-this recruit course 8-mile CFT with '58 Pattern webbing loaded up with wet sand in plastic bags, and an SA80 rifle around the glorious environs of Catterick Garrison. The only thing I got right was the weight distribution, then again one of the DS yanked a BFO lump of wet sand out of my kidney pouches or else I'd have been way over the weight requirement. The PTI running the CFT bollocked the lot of us because we were all using sand to make up the weight requirement as none of us could cram enough issue kit in the webbing to make up the numbers.

Hot day as well.

Bags of rice ensuring the weight distribution avoids any niggles…..
With the new distribution of 40-41kg to 26kg to 10kg per session it gets fun knowing you can run faster than a welshman at Isandhlwana

I did my have-to-pass-this recruit course 8-mile CFT with '58 Pattern webbing loaded up with wet sand in plastic bags, and an SA80 rifle around the glorious environs of Catterick Garrison. The only thing I got right was the weight distribution, then again one of the DS yanked a BFO lump of wet sand out of my kidney pouches or else I'd have been way over the weight requirement. The PTI running the CFT bollocked the lot of us because we were all using sand to make up the weight requirement as none of us could cram enough issue kit in the webbing to make up the numbers.

Hot day as well.
You were aware it was a Combat Fitness Test, and not a Concrete Fitness Test?

Another thing to point out for the OP is the importance of getting as much load as possible from the bergen onto the webbing. You can even loosen the webbing enough to rest the bergen on it just before the CFT - a life-saving tip if you're a short ass like me.

TamH70

MIA
You were aware it was a Combat Fitness Test, and not a Concrete Fitness Test?

Another thing to point out for the OP is the importance of getting as much load as possible from the bergen onto the webbing. You can even loosen the webbing enough to rest the bergen on it just before the CFT - a life-saving tip if you're a short ass like me.
I was worse than a short ass - I was young, stupid, skinny, and had just passed my first BFT at my recruit course - even though I could pass them for fun in the T.A, I couldn't convert that into doing it down in 11 Sigs. I may have been thin but I had no stamina for the longest time, at least when it came to running, and it didn't help much that the issue plimsolls and Boots Combat High had knackered my left ankle so I was on a biff chit for way too long for my own liking.

Walking quite fast with weight on? Piece of piss. At least it was once I'd convinced myself I'd done things almost as hard before.

@ the op, what the hell are you running with a weighted bergen or webbing for? Is this in your own time or is some PTI making you do it?

Obvious cause being new exercise so initial conclusion is either muscle strain or you are causing nerve issue, think the yanks call them stingers.

Whatever the condition is don't continue this exercise, at least without say so of a medic or physio.

Last edited:

Issi

War Hero
I still feel guilty as hell for dropping out of a CFT in the middle of a German summer.
Apparently, I went a bit 'funny', and was sent to the jack wagon.
I remember none of it, but 20 odd years later, it still bothers me.

Nah, for a proper knee knackering system - not felt for another 20 or so years - you need to carefully size up heavy duty plastic bags that fit ammo and water-bottle pouches, fill with sand and black nasty up.

Run untold miles until you're fit enough to pass seniors and AACC and then continue to bash out 5 miles under 40 minutes with 35lb of kit in a day sack well into your late 30's/early 40's in the vain hope of being fit to lead/beast a Platoon of 20 - 30 years olds.

Fecking worked for me, and over the last week my left knee has painfully given way several times while walking up concrete stairs.

Yours,
Pi55ed Off , 59 and 2 months
Maybe we could file a class action!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
exbluejob DIY 12
Mr_Fingerz The Intelligence Cell 1
broadsword69 Health and Fitness 8

Latest Threads