Back pain help!!

Ok when I wake up first thing in the morning, I have really bad pain in my lower back that rediates through my hips.
Takes a while but once Im up and moving Im totally fine. But now its starting to happen when I sit too long. I get pain in my hips and my legs and knees ache.
I train everyday and feel great after it No aches or pains.

Am going to see the Doc but I worry I might just get fobbed off and something serious might be missed. Am even considering going private for a complete check up.

Any advice?

Don't waste your time or money on a chiropractor , g.p. should order x-rays then refer if needed, thats what the chiro will do first, only you pay for the x-ray !! Once you have the results(free) then decide which route to take, lesson learned from the £300+ wasted on a private armpit who in the end refererred to an orthopedic surgeon.

Each to their own.GP gave me Ibuprofen(two jars) which I wasn't willing to take in case of causing further injury.Found an excellent chiropractor in Camberley who put my back in better shape than it had been for years also gave me exercises to keep it in good shape so definitely money well spent.Gave up rugby in 2001 resumed playing in 2005 it wasn't due to my GP.

Don't waste your time or money on a chiropractor , g.p. should order x-rays then refer if needed, thats what the chiro will do first, only you pay for the x-ray !! Once you have the results(free) then decide which route to take, lesson learned from the £300+ wasted on a private armpit who in the end refererred to an orthopedic surgeon.

GP will get fucked off at high port if he orders lumbar spine x-rays for LBP!
MSI64...if you don't mind me asking, how old are you?

Im 40, Dont think Im over training, however the pain gets worse if I lay off the training for a couple of days???
Kind of worried as it feels like its inside rather than actually on my hip (if that makes sense)

at 40 if you're ex squaddie, you have a fairly good chance of also having degenerative changes in your hip....or osteoarthritis...you old git :D

If you have a soft mattress then change it/put some rigid board under it.Will stop the pain,hopefully,after a week or so.If not,chiropracter-but get one reccomended by your MO.Good ones work miracles

I am just post Op for a hip arthroscopy and femral head osteoplasty. I was suffering for 3 yrs from roughly the same symtoms. I had a laberal tear and cam impingment. Feeling great at present...fingers crossed. MRI of the hip and lower back found my problem.

if it is sciatica my doc said paracetemol and rest it for a few days - but see your GP to get a proper diagnosis!!! no point carrying on with pain - there is a reason for it

GP will get fucked off at high port if he orders lumbar spine x-rays for LBP!
MSI64...if you don't mind me asking, how old are you?
That just shows how shit the UK is then! I suffer from Sciatica and a nerve in my lower back that keeps getting pinched (not the same area). As soon as I rocked up to my German doc, I was X-Rayed! Am on Ibuprofen 600's and injections into the base of my spine. Some weeks are pure agony and others are just uncomfortable. As has been said, go to your GP and get it checked out

To the OP, I take it you are talking about a sharp pain to the nerve?

That just shows how shit the UK is then! I suffer from Sciatica and a nerve in my lower back that keeps getting pinched (not the same area). As soon as I rocked up to my German doc, I was X-Rayed! Am on Ibuprofen 600's and injections into the base of my spine. Some weeks are pure agony and others are just uncomfortable. As has been said, go to your GP and get it checked out

To the OP, I take it you are talking about a sharp pain to the nerve?
why? A lumbar spine xray is roughly 50x the dose of a chest xray and is only useful if bone involvement is suggested. Your xray will merely have told your doctor that you had degenerative changes in your spine so he could do the injection. As everyone over the age of 30 or so has degenerative changes, you had a big dose of radiation simply to tell your doctor something he already knew.

Sciatica is caused by nerve impingement from discs, tendons or ligaments 99.9% of the time. The fact that British radiographers take radiation protection seriously does not make it a shit service.

MSI64

Am not a doc or have any medical quals so do not take anything I say as a diagnosis. However I do have personal experience of LBP, having had two prolapsed discs operated on (and therefore know how debilitating it can be) also knowing someone who has had a spinal fusion.

However it may not be nearly as bad as our cases and a dose of ibuprofen and physio may well solve the problem for you I do hope so but here are a few thoughts.

Do not give up on getting yourself diagnosed, it is vital as that is the only way the correct treatment can be ascertained, there are many problems that can cause the symptoms you describe. If the problem is not solved by the initial treatment go back and keep going back until you get it diagnosed, it becomes all to easy to "hide" the pain through use of medication and alteration of lifestyle to avoid the things that cause an onset of pain, but these things only mask the problem not solve it.

In my case I ended up a a grumpy old bastard who did not enjoy a decent quality of life by masking/ignoring the problem until I could hardly walk, problem solved by eventual diagnosis and appropriate treatment.

The person who ended up having a spinal fusion had had years of pain in their hip/legs/back and saw every doctor/physio etc that the mil could provide but no full diagnosis made, it was only when a full investigation was carried out (it happened to be when we were on a posting overseas but that is not the reason that diagnosis was made it was just getting past the MO/GP that was the hard bit), it turned out to be severe degeneration of an inter -vertebral disc that was causing the pain, again once a diagnosis was made the correct treatment could be given.

In both cases core strength and general fitness was also deemed to be important, it does not necessarily cure the problem but correct posture and inner strength can help relieve some of the symptoms it also makes post treatment recovery more likely to be effective. Do take medical advice though as to what activities you should partake in.

In both cases we can now enjoy a decent quality of life, pain free and capable of just about anything we wish to do, indeed the spinal fusion case was skiing within 7 months and I managed to be placed in the top 400 in the 2009 Great North Swim (out of 6000) despite being in my 50's.

Sorry for going on a bit but the subject is one that I have strong feelings about and if I can help anyone avoid what I have been through I will.

So in conclusion, get it fully diagnosed if it is persistent by a professional.