Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Back in Black, 40 years old.

Here's one to put the cat amongst the pigeons

Brian Johnson is/was(?) much better than Bon Scott

Well you were the one that posted the link to the 1980 album list...

Both albums are 40 years old. I have both.

Pretenders get played more often than ACDC in my car...

Still, I'll bugger off and leave your thread alone....
I posted the list because it illustrates just how off-trend AC/DC we’re when they released Back in Black. Yet few of what were big names then are anything but peripheral. The Pretenders are one of the few who have survived the test of time, probably because they have continued to play live like AC/DC.

There are no CDs in my car; I don’t own any. Nor do I often listen to AC/DC other than in the gym.

Himmler74

On ROPS
On ROPs
I had AC/DC playing in the car the other week while drying her off and polishing. Two young lads cycle past and ask me to turn it up, then sit head nodding to Thunderstruck and Heatseeker.

There is hope for today's youth.

One of the positives of the Iron Man franchise.

Not to forget peppa potts.

Himmler74

On ROPS
On ROPs

Hard one that mate, we have all heard Brian vocalise tunes that Bon Scott had sung. I wonder how Bon Scott would have sounded singing Back In Black.

One of the best compilation albums is Bonfire (album) - Wikipedia absolutely out of this world.

I thought this thread was a Call to Arms from “Them”!

I’ll bugger off now, cept to say, I was a Mod back in the day and this hippy head banging, leather clad rockin stuff was banned in our circles, as the years have accelerated away, my musical tastes have changed and I love all sorts, including ACDC, Iron Maiden and Whitesnake! TTFN

I did read somewhere that Bon had been voted the best of 100 front men apparently. I did wonder if it was to do with his untimely death?

Unpopular as you say, but I agree with you, I'm a BJ fan!

theoriginalphantom

MIA
Book Reviewer

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
You certainly won't like the coincidental fact that Ace of Spades is 40 years old this year too.
Some very happy memories playing that at full volume in some very inappropriate places.

You will be charmed to hear that Lemmy made a sardonic bluegrass version used in an advert for 'Corps Lager.'

One for the elderly who remember pondering such minutiae in New Musical Express ( and for the even elderliererer Melody Maker )

- To what extent was 'Ace of Spades a formative influence on Till Lindemann's Rammstein ? Discuss
( 40 minutes)

( Rammstein's frontman recently came out of a Berlin ICU after contracting Covid-19, apparently following a concert in Mocba )

Last edited:

I would go with that. I prefer the Geordie baldy to BS.

Only got to see AC/DC once and that was incidental. Took my eldest daughter and a crew of her punky mates to the Milton Keynes Bowl to see The Offspring supporting AC/DC. This was her first proper metal concert (previously they had all been punk bands: Offspring, Green Day etc).

I met up wiv da kidz at the end of the concert (like they were going to hang around with an adult) and asked the daughter what she thought. "******* awesome dad". I would have settled for "awesome" but she was right.

She couldn't get her brain around Angus prancing around the stage in a purple schoolboys outfit. I think the riff in Hells Bells is probably the best riff Tony Iommi never wrote.

For all of you feeling a bit old at the bands/music mentioned here (AC/DC, Motorhead, Pretenders etc) I thought I would point out these albums were closer to the end of WWII than now.

theoriginalphantom

MIA
Book Reviewer
You will be charmed to hear that Lemmy made a sardonic bluegrass version used in an advert for 'Corps Lager.'

One for the elderly who remember pondering such minutiae in New Musical Express ( and for the even elderliererer Melody Maker )

Don't forget that God also appeared in a KitKat advert along with (amongst others) Bernard Manning, the Daleks and Laurence Lewellyn Bowen

Lemmy would do virtually anything he was asked to do.

I am reading his pseudo-autobiography (White Line Fever) at the moment and the number of non-Motorhead things he got into is amazing. Films, TV, adverts, guest musician with the Nolan Sisters, Pat Boone etc

I think he did them for shits and giggles. He certainly didn't do them for the money (not that he ever saw much of that). I'm slightly amazed at how few albums Motorhead sold. Lemmy mentions being up against Metallica for some God of Metal type award. His album had sold 30,000 copies. Metallica's album had sold over 4 million. Guess who won.

Just before my departure from the mob , I got two tickets for the "Monsters" concert in Hanover, wife decided she didn't feel lie going , my mates teenage son went with me instead, Black Crows , Motley Crue, Queensreich , Metalica, and finished off with ACDC,
scorching hot day mild balmy evening , just the best day out/concert ever

seen a couple of trib bands , Hell's bells,(probably the better) and Bons Balls... son used to live next door to the bass player of Bons Balls, ,one of his workmates is the bassist from Big Country works at Rosyth as a contractor, , every time he spunks all his cash from royalties. son plays drums He gets pissed off when asked what do you call a guy that hangs about with musicians?
Saw Hells Bells at the Continental, (out beside where the water slides were) , Medicine Hat, probably around 87ish, saw Nazerath there as well, amazing

My first, but definitely not last, AC/DC album, I was only a kid and just wanted something a bit different from Madness and The Police. On the way home I asked dad if I could stick the tape in the stereo, him and my sisters hated it but I ******* loved it.

Oh, and if this does make you feel old, put it on loud and feel young again.

Couldn't find that one but found his Kronenbourg ad, sums up French rural life perfectly.
My all-time recent regret was in 2012 and Lemmy with Hawkwind were headlining the rock festival on the beach at La Rochelle.
It was also the year we moved to France and the priority then was putting a new roof on the old house.
Hawkwind and Lemmy came second, to my subsequent and everlasting regrets, and the rock festival on the beach is no more.
Now a Francofolies celebration of French music FFS.

If I play “Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap” (album. Actually, not the whole album. Two beats in is enough) my wife walks out. She has been gone for a full 36 hours before.
If I play “Back In Black”, she nods in time.
Brian Johnson is great, but no one does “rocker” like Bon Scott.

If I play “Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap” (album. Actually, not the whole album. Two beats in is enough) my wife walks out. She has been gone for a full 36 hours before.
does that mean she doesn't like the song, or she doesn't fancy 36 hours of bargain basement debauchery?

If I play “Back In Black”, she nods in time.
Brian Johnson is great, but no one does “rocker” like Bon Scott.

No Bon, no AC/DC; the Youngs needed a frontman and he provided that in spades. I think BJ was a great choice as replacement, but the original was always the best. RIP Bon Scott, arguably Forfar's greatest son.

AC/DC's historic Back in Black album will celebrate its 40th anniversary on July 25. Looking back on the pivotal moment in the band's career, Loudwire — for a limited time only — is hosting viewing party of the complete Story of Back in Black documentary in partnership with Sony Music, beginning at 7PM ET on Friday, July 24.

Tonight I shall put on my leather jacket with denim cut off, liberaly spray it with patchouli oil and turn the volume up to eleven!
I was 17 when this album was released and remember it well. Classic band and a classic album.

"Rock and roll ain't noise polution!"

Hmm... I finally learned the riff to Back in Black about six months ago. Since my teenage years I'd being massacring it but, recently, I decided to do it properly once and for all.

- To the extent that I bought a Marshall modelling amp to be able to dial-in the correct combo of preamp, power-amp, and speaker cabinet. I even splashed out on a pedal to simulate the 'companding' effect of the Young Bros. wireless system.

I'm quite very pleased with the result. But now I'm reminded that it's only taken me 40 years to do it...

Thanks for that...
:headbang:

Latest Threads