Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Back in Black, 40 years old.

AC/DC's historic Back in Black album will celebrate its 40th anniversary on July 25. Looking back on the pivotal moment in the band's career, Loudwire — for a limited time only — is hosting viewing party of the complete Story of Back in Black documentary in partnership with Sony Music, beginning at 7PM ET on Friday, July 24.

Tonight I shall put on my leather jacket with denim cut off, liberaly spray it with patchouli oil and turn the volume up to eleven!
I was 17 when this album was released and remember it well. Classic band and a classic album.

"Rock and roll ain't noise polution!"

Last edited:
One of my all time favourite bands! Wish I'd seen them in their heyday but I was still in nappies then. Saw them live in Manchester a few years back albeit with Axl Rose standing in for Brian and that was a great gig, Angus was still running around like a loon and despite all the ranting from die hard fans online Axl knocked it out of the park with his performance.

Airbourne are the spiritual successor to AC/DC and with youth still on their side they are well worth seeing live if you get chance, I usually catch them every time their touring brings them to the UK and their gigs are mental in a good way.

Daxx

MIA
Book Reviewer
I am offended by the Album name and demand it is retitled to "Back in Colour".

Licence loser albums. Love 'em.
Had 'em up real loud a few years back at home.
Neighbours called Police to complain whereupon the Police arrested the whole lot of 'em.;)

Daxx

MIA
Book Reviewer
You certainly won't like the coincidental fact that Ace of Spades is 40 years old this year too.
Some very happy memories playing that at full volume in some very inappropriate places.

When I worked in 12 Bde, when it was fairly new, they had an epic war pqrn type promo video with Ace of Spades as the music.

Many have covered it but nobody gets anywhere near the levels of sheer energy coming from Lemmy.
I first heard it while watching "The Young Ones" on the BBC back when we were allowed a sense of humour by them.
Back in Black came hard on the heels of Highway to Hell which is my all time fave AC DC track, a very hard act to follow.
They did very well with Back in Black.

I now realise I'm officially an old bastard , sic transit gloria mundi.
I don't think my neck would withstand all that headbanging these days.

AC/DC's historic Back in Black album will celebrate its 40th anniversary on July 25. Looking back on the pivotal moment in the band's career, Loudwire — for a limited time only — is hosting viewing party of the complete Story of Back in Black documentary in partnership with Sony Music, beginning at 7PM ET on Friday, July 24.

Tonight I shall put on my leather jacket with denim cut off, liberaly spray it with patchouli oil and turn the volume up to eleven!
I was 17 when this album was released and remember it well. Classic band and a classic album.

"Rock and roll ain't noise polution!"
You and I are the same age. I too bought Back in Black 40 years ago. Aussie radio has been playing it non stop today; IMHO the second greatest rock and roll band ever.

The Young brothers were truly brilliant; spanning the Easy Beats to Acca Dacca via John Paul Young’s Love is in the Air.

As for 1980, here’s a list of what else was released. Not a good year for Rock. Massive album....

You and I are the same age. I too bought Back in Black 40 years ago. Aussie radio has been playing it non stop today; IMHO the second greatest rock and roll band ever.

The Young brothers were truly brilliant; spanning the Easy Beats to Acca Dacca via John Paul Young’s Love is in the Air.

As for 1980, here’s a list of what else was released. Not a good year for Rock. Massive album....
Plenty of Rock there, AC/DC, Motorhead, Iron Maiden, X, Dead Kennedys, Judas Priest, Ozzy, The Stones, The Ramones, Van Halen and Queen, and that's not counting stuff like Joy Division and Genesis.

They still had it 30 years later....
Here they are rocking River Plate in 2009. Not many bands can get 90,000 people bouncing like this. I would give anything to have been there.

Edited to add: please watch the full concert on Youtube "ACDC Live at River Plate". Its simply amazing!

Last edited:
I now realise I'm officially an old bastard , sic transit gloria mundi.

Just the cross dressing to admit and you’ll be completely unburdened.

(I’d keep the sex with animals under your hat though).

Many have covered it but nobody gets anywhere near the levels of sheer energy coming from Lemmy.
I first heard it while watching "The Young Ones" on the BBC back when we were allowed a sense of humour by them.
Back in Black came hard on the heels of Highway to Hell which is my all time fave AC DC track, a very hard act to follow.
They did very well with Back in Black.

Not only was it a hard act to follow, but with Bon Scott’s death and replacement with Brian Johnson, that must have been a very difficult thing to do.

Still, aged 12 in 1980, Back in Black was the first album I ever bought. I can still remember the funereal Hell’s Bells intro/title track (presumably in honour of Bon) sending shivers up my spine.

“You Shook Me All night Long” proved to be prophetic for me. Growing up in a 3-bed semi in the Northwest of England, I had no idea whatsoever that life’s journey would take me to the USA. That song fits my American wife to a tee :)

12 year old kids act like sheep and if one does something, the others all do it. That “thing” at the time was to use what I now know to be a 37 pattern small pack as a school bag. We would paint the flap with several coats of thick gloss paint so it went hard, and then trace and paint the logo of our band of choice on it. Mine was black with AC/DC in red. At least my pack was Khaki. A few kids indicated their future lack of achievement with RAF blue ones. I think they were 50p cheaper or something :)

Many thanks, @Murphy_Slaw for posting this and taking me back down memory lane.

Danatanian

Old-Salt
I had AC/DC playing in the car the other week while drying her off and polishing. Two young lads cycle past and ask me to turn it up, then sit head nodding to Thunderstruck and Heatseeker.

There is hope for today's youth.

This one is in my top ten favourite albums though - always keep the CD in my car...

7619-pretenders.jpg

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
Just the cross dressing to admit and you’ll be completely unburdened.

(I’d keep the sex with animals under your hat though).
I blame dodgy disco lighting for that and cross dressing with my hips? Do be brief

Latest Threads