Back from Afghanistan?

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by fivelive, Apr 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. BBC Radio Five Live is doing a piece on Afghanistan in the next couple of weeks. We're looking for someone who served out there recently, but has since left the military. If we go through the Ministry of Defence, we'll get the party line. We want to know what life is like when you're there, how much you get paid for being there and whether you felt like you made a difference.

If you're interested, drop me an e-mail -
  2. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

Theres a whole host of material out there that answers your questions, do some research you lazy fcuker.
  3. We also require permission to talk to the media so if you want an honest opinion get permission from the MOD
  4. If you read his post it says 'but has since left the Military'.
  5. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

Its just a lazy journo working on a program that will already have a conclusion, but needs some squaddie soundbites to add legitimacy. Lets be honest, the BBC hasn't produced anything worthwhile or unbiased on Iraq or Afghanistan yet, what makes anyone think this guys going to be any different, talk to him at your peril.

6. Why lazy?

If you wanted to hear from blokes who grew pansies you would contact a gardening forum.

And as for the BBC's production of unbiased stories on Iraq/ Afghan unless you have watched ALL BBC output since the conficts began how the f uck would you know this?
  7. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

Mate, lazy because 30 seconds on google would find him a ton of material answering his questions.

The BBC has got its agenda, they've shown it time and again.

As for you, you're just another whining journo as well, thats how I fcuking know Einstein. :roll:
  8. Firstly I'm not a f ucking journo for the umpteenth time.

It takes longer than 30 seconds to join ARRSE - and if you wanted to actually hear opinions from ex-servicemen/women how are you going to get that from google.

FFS what's better hearing it directly or re-constituting some crap from the internet?

As for the BBC's agenda - what is it then? I have seen some excellent reporting from Iraq and some truely crap stuff too.

BBC's right hand has no clue what it's left is up to - they are not capable of having an agenda mate.
  9. Well RadioFive is really living up to it's high standards.
    Dispatches got Nagl, Collins, Tootal, Butler, Richards all the worthwhile US brass and some crab w@nker. And some politicians.
    Fivelive want any unemployed squaddies to sound off. There's no real point to the programe, just a random series of recollections, apparently.

Journo, why not try coming up with a concrete line of questioning, then get off your fat ARRse to ask "who, what, when, where, how" questions to the decision makers? Eg, "Minister, WHAT happens to the monies paid, by NATO, to troops fighting in Non Article Five missions?"
    Or more simply, why don't Op Herrick medals get a bar everytime you go back there?

But I suppose working for the Peoples Broadcasting Company would make a lazy <unt out of anyone.
  10. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

Sorry you're upset for me not supporting your world view point.

My point stands, never trust a journo, especially a lazy one from the BBC who can't even be arrsed to google how much a soldier earns. :roll:

11. Now they ARE interesting questions but probably way outside the programmes remit.

12. Mate, I'm not upset -The BBC is run by w ankers.

But calling me a journo is like someone calling you an officer. :wink:
  13. Stuff Radio Five. I'll stick to proper journos like Ross Kemp.

(Did he get a Herrick medal after?)

14. He's not a journo he's television presenter, albeit one who does a good job and get's in amongst it.

However there are many journos out there who do the same job and tell the same story. You won't have heard of them maybe as they don't have the same publicity afforded to Mr kemp.

And some of them, friends of mine, die whilst they are doing it.
  15. I thought I would try this (waiting for a skype call!!) and actually it isn't as straight forward as you reckon. I have a good basic knowledge of what the rates of pay are, pay banding, OA, and about council tax relief, etc but there is no way I could give definitive figures for what any individual earns or earned during a tour. In this case I would say; whilst not disagreeing that journalists are generally not to be trusted; that you are wrong and 30 secs (around 15mins in my case) on Google/Ask won't get accurate info. A better line is possibly that anyone prepared to be info should get the line the producers are taking and ask what the aim of the documentary is. If they get no satisfactory answer then it is for them to decide if they take part.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.