Back Building Again

Currently wrestling with the photo etch on a Trumpeter 1/700 HMS Kent. In the meantime here’s the next FAA build, Sword Fairey Gannet AEW in 1/72:

EEC805CB-1ACA-4297-8AC2-A89AE4577F79.jpeg

I’d read about these short-run kits being a bit difficult, but on looking at the instructions thought it would be much like a Parkside Dundas railway kit (I’ve built loads of these) & not too bad. I was wrong!

Really wanted a Sea Fury in scale with my other FAA stuff. Found this in my local model shop by PM Models.

It’s a Turkish brand, & reviews pretty poor. I thought, for a few pounds, worth a bash. It was like building a kit from my childhood, very simple & no frills-the only cockpit interior was a seat.

Bit of plasticard for an instrument panel, a pin for the joystick, & some aftermarket decals for FAA (kit ones are for Australian & Cuban aircraft) & it came out like this:

2CED444D-700E-4D9E-ADCD-6BAC64B70E58.jpeg

At that price I may buy more of them to use up the decals, which cost more than the kit. I rather fancy doing the Canadian one!

Really wanted a Sea Fury in scale with my other FAA stuff. Found this in my local model shop by PM Models.

It’s a Turkish brand, & reviews pretty poor. I thought, for a few pounds, worth a bash. It was like building a kit from my childhood, very simple & no frills-the only cockpit interior was a seat.

Bit of plasticard for an instrument panel, a pin for the joystick, & some aftermarket decals for FAA (kit ones are for Australian & Cuban aircraft) & it came out like this:

View attachment 620106

At that price I may buy more of them to use up the decals, which cost more than the kit. I rather fancy doing the Canadian one!
Certainly don’t look so bad at all!

View attachment 620106

Canadian would be meh as the paint schemes are so similar, now an Iraqi Sea Fury.....

Canadian would be meh as the paint schemes are so similar, now an Iraqi Sea Fury.....

I can see your point, but the aftermarket decals didn’t include Iraqi!

Last FAA for the moment was the Airfix Buccaneer. Lovely kit, but glad I worked up to it:

B6046CD1-EC73-45E6-9A8F-61C89DEB41E6.jpeg

Not sure if bombs correct, pinched from another kit as this one has nothing to fill that great big bay.

Just a small request, can you possibly put your photos up singly instead of a block, makes it a bit easier to blow the pictures up for a proper look.
Blast, will have to go back & recover them all, or take again!
Besides, if I do that you’ll see the glue smears & fingerprints ;)

NSP

LE
Not sure if bombs correct, pinched from another kit as this one has nothing to fill that great big bay.
The Haynes manual suggests that you are not far off the mark there, if they are 500lb'ers.

Seems to have been a beauty to fly, a beast to be on the wrong end of and a maintenance nightmare - one of the major flaws seems to have been that, with the fuel feed running through the roof of the bomb bay (the "door" was itself a fuel tank) and with the location of a certain clamp, it would over time wear through the fuel line causing fuel to drip into the bomb bay. Over time without attention (or occasion to open the bomb bay) this drip could lead to an accumulation of fuel which, when maintenance opened the bomb bay on the ground/deck to carry out prescribed-hours tasks would result in a lovely splash, requiring a difficult defuelling process to enable the leak to be fixed.

Still, didn't stop the thing still being in service to go skimming across the desert in the first Persian Gulf unpleasantness - alongside much more modern and recent products.

The Haynes manual suggests that you are not far off the mark there, if they are 500lb'ers.

Seems to have been a beauty to fly, a beast to be on the wrong end of and a maintenance nightmare - one of the major flaws seems to have been that, with the fuel feed running through the roof of the bomb bay (the "door" was itself a fuel tank) and with the location of a certain clamp, it would over time wear through the fuel line causing fuel to drip into the bomb bay. Over time without attention (or occasion to open the bomb bay) this drip could lead to an accumulation of fuel which, when maintenance opened the bomb bay on the ground/deck to carry out prescribed-hours tasks would result in a lovely splash, requiring a difficult defuelling process to enable the leak to be fixed.

Still, didn't stop the thing still being in service to go skimming across the desert in the first Persian Gulf unpleasantness - alongside much more modern and recent products.
I’m not really a fan of modern Combat aircraft, but the Buccaneer is one of my exceptions.
When I was serving we watched a Red Flag film, of these Buccaneers at 0ft doing an attack on a SAM tracking system. The Yank operators were gob smacked, that they couldn’t get a radar lock on the Buccaneer’s.

NSP

LE
Buccaneer was also one of the first, if not the first, aircraft to use boundary layer control, bleeding air from the first stage compressor and directing it through slots in the wings and fuselage to improve stability and control response - which was why it could be flown as low as it was over a turbulent sea without issue.

some absolutely lovely model planes on show on this thread, and I agree about the Buccaneer, what a great looking aircraft.

Buccaneer was also one of the first, if not the first, aircraft to use boundary layer control, bleeding air from the first stage compressor and directing it through slots in the wings and fuselage to improve stability and control response - which was why it could be flown as low as it was over a turbulent sea without issue.
some absolutely lovely model planes on show on this thread, and I agree about the Buccaneer, what a great looking aircraft.
The Saffers used them as well, they still have two in flying condition at Thunder City.

NSP

LE
Oooh - just remembered a book I read - Freddie Forsyth's "The Cobra" where the Prez' dicks a retired CIA chap to go gloves-off on the drug trade. Q ships and a Buccaneer acquired from Thunder City feature in the interdiction campaign.

Damn good story, as I remember - and eminently plausible. I'm going to have to dig it out for a re-run.

PFGEN

GCM
Oooh - just remembered a book I read - Freddie Forsyth's "The Cobra" where the Prez' dicks a retired CIA chap to go gloves-off on the drug trade. Q ships and a Buccaneer acquired from Thunder City feature in the interdiction campaign.

Damn good story, as I remember - and eminently plausible. I'm going to have to dig it out for a re-run.

That was an excellent tale. I was reading it and thinking let's just do this.

Latest Threads