Back Building Again

Having completed a massive pile of Scalescenes kits given away free with railway modelling magazines, plus a few (the canal stuff) I fancied doing thought I’d have a bash at some plastic kit building. First was this, so it didn’t gather dust:

96B60A69-2BFD-4C60-85AC-2DC81BF2F046.jpeg

I then found an old A4 Skyhawk given to MasterPlume ages ago. That grew to this lot:
C3CB5A5F-7819-4866-8265-50249CB9FCAC.jpeg

It’s been a lot of fun! More to follow if of interest…

Last edited:
Good to see you back at again mate ;)

Now get that bloody Chieftain finished.

Good to see you back at again mate ;)

Now get that bloody Chieftain finished.
Few more aircraft & boats to go yet!

Also have Takom (?) 432 in stash, & just seen a very nice AFV Club Scorpion in local model shop…

I must congratulate you on such a fine collection of USN fast movers and the A6, you have excellent taste.

I must congratulate you on such a fine collection of USN fast movers and the A6, you have excellent taste.
Thanks very much! Always liked the grey/white schemes with lairy fins. In no way when I finished the Tomcat did I then watch Top Gun, re-enacting dog fights with the kit, honest ;)

A lot of these were eBay specials. Funnily enough of all the kits I’ve bought lately the really old Airfix Corsair had the best fit, almost snapped together without glue!

Here’s another that I bought for the scheme:

81F6DF8F-87EC-4223-90F3-F98AD55C2AD5.jpeg

Wondering about going back & arming it…

Diko

Old-Salt
Thanks very much! Always liked the grey/white schemes with lairy fins. In no way when I finished the Tomcat did I then watch Top Gun, re-enacting dog fights with the kit, honest ;)

A lot of these were eBay specials. Funnily enough of all the kits I’ve bought lately the really old Airfix Corsair had the best fit, almost snapped together without glue!

View attachment 618318
Airfix do a ‘Maverick’ Top Gun kit, got mine on Tuesday

Daz

LE

View attachment 618318
I was lucky enough to spend most of my career in aviation focused on the restoration of warbirds, specifically USN aircraft. My one regret is l never had the opportunity to spend much time on any of the grey types as they are few and far between in private hands. There is just something appealing about them from the Crusader onwards, l have just had to settle with diecast models as my dexterity is no longer what it once was.

Airfix do a ‘Maverick’ Top Gun kit, got mine on Tuesday
Buggered up the decals on the fins of my Tomcat so had to buy another to replace them, so two may be sufficient for now. It’s the Itslieri 50th anniversary of the first flight kit, cheaper than ordering just the decal sheet.

Similar with the A6. The original kit was by Revell & a tie-in with “Flight of the Intruder” & as soon as I saw the decals I could guess they’d drop to bits. Ordered an Italieri one, so have the Marines version to build in due course.

I was lucky enough to spend most of my career in aviation focused on the restoration of warbirds, specifically USN aircraft. My one regret is l never had the opportunity to spend much time on any of the grey types as they are few and far between in private hands. There is just something appealing about them from the Crusader onwards, l have just had to settle with diecast models as my dexterity is no longer what it once was.
Sounds a lot of fun! I can see having built it how the Crusader became known as the ‘Gator. Imagining some Good Ol’ Boy pilot flying it!

Daz

LE
Sorry, BF-109 (I think…)
Bayerische Flugzeugwerke A. G =Bf Odd, fun fact, the Hemans sent out warning orders threatening to charge anyone using the Me designation in official paperwork ................and if its good enough for the Reichsluftfahrtministerium (Reich Air Ministry) its good enough for me :)

Bayerische Flugzeugwerke A. G =Bf Odd, fun fact, the Hemans sent out warning orders threatening to charge anyone using the Me designation in official paperwork ................and if its good enough for the Reichsluftfahrtministerium (Reich Air Ministry) its good enough for me :)
Zu befehl, Herr Dazmeister ;)

They used both in the field. There is a photo on tinterweb of a bomb carrier stencilled "nur fur Me 109". Mechs and pilots didn't care either way and called it the "hundert neun" locally.

Latest Threads