Back and hips stretches?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by JayCam, Oct 11, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I have been getting a little acheyness and stiffness in my back and hips a few hours after hard workouts. Any suggestions on stretching out the back, hips etc?

Cheers,

J.

2. where in your back?

3. Top of the hips mainly, around where (I think) the kidneys are. Sometimes up a bit and some times a little lower. Always on the sides (not around the spine).

J.

4. i would suggest a visit to a physio.

How long do you spend stretching?

I have been seeing a osteopath regarding knee / shin issues for a couple of months now. Basically all my muscles, but particularly the outer quads were very tight. My lower back is also too concave, but not to the point of being a specific problem, however the stretches given to help my knees will also improve my back.

1. lying on your back, hug your knees to your chest. This will stretch out the lower back.

2. normal quad stretch. lift your foot up behind you with the same side hand.

3. lying on your back, pull your right knee across to your left shoulder or across to the left. (and then swap sides obviously). this will stretch out the outside of the hips.

4. the lunge type position. on one knee, with one foot in front of you. push the hips forward so you feel a stretch in your quads and across the front of your hip.

I am no expert, but these seem to be working for me.

enjoy.

Ski.

5. Thanks for the reply, just tried those out.

I dont spend enough time stretching and I think that is the problem. Problem definately is reduced when I stretch regularly!

J.

6. I too spent too little time stretching, hence my problem and how long it is taking to sort them.

hope those stretches help. Still, if you can afford to, see a physio, he/she will be able to do a lot more for you.

Ski.

7. Can't afford to see a physio at the moment but will do if it gets worse. It is however slowly getting better the fitter I get. Just having a bit of a bad day today. Needless to say I am not going to the GP with it because a) They have never done anything at all to help any kind of physio problem in the past and b) military application (gulp)...

Thanks again for the advice.

J.