Baby son is "thinking" of joining the Army.

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Soldier Recruitment' started by Bootifull, Aug 25, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. My baby son, 14 years of age is thinking of joining the Army.

Now my question oh wise ones "if" baby son was to pursue this where would he go to gather information? The local careers office is a little too close to home if you see what I'm saying ;)
    (His Dad is the man in charge)

I think it's all a passing phase, last week he wanted to join the circus and the week before he wanted to become a member of the Glee cast!
  2. My girl thing has been using the webby
    British Army Website

she likes doing the little quizzy thing to find jobs that would suit you!
  3. You could always get him to speak to Mr Bootiful (but knowing lads don't listen to dads and having a son who went through it five years ago) your better off getting an expert to advise. Now for a pack of chocolate cookies and a coffee I can offer my services for advice.Problem is Mr Booti will beat me up for nicking a potential stat :)
  4. I don't want him to chat to Dad, I don't want him to join the Army in fact I don't want him to ever leave my side! That last one is a lie 10 more sleeps and back to boarding school :)

Birdy he did the quizzy thing and it led to RE draughtsperson, that'll please Dad!

I think I may borrow a few booklets from Dad's place and send him back to school with them.
  5. @Bootiful - Whatever happens, just for gods sake promise me you will not do what my parents did and guilt me into staying in the TA. Everytime I say that I want to join the regular army, my dad reminds me 'You'll have a great time while you're there but afterwards you'll be unemployable' and my mum shouts, then cries, then shouts then cries. Enough to guilt anyone into 'Just one more year on civvi street to see how things go'. Its not that I still do what they say, but who am I to put my mother through that?

One day I'm going to snap, join up on a whim, go for the most gun-ho regiment I can because I'm fed up of parental influence and phrases like "Its too dangerous, stay on civvi street where its safe". Hate it because I wasn't given the time and support to approach the army with my own opinion, then leave with no quals and be 'out of date' on civvi street. And all because they couldn't just get a ******* grip and say "Sure son, its your life now, do what you want and we'll always support you".

Just ******* promise me you will not be those parents Bootiful, because I'm finding it hard not to resent them.

They better not be surprised when I'm not 'springing for the silver package' when I stuff them away in the retirement bin.
  6. Civvy Strasse? Safe? Not if you live in the inner cities! I'd rather take my chances with Terence of the Taliban!
  7. You could just man up and master your own life. If my mum had had her way id still be living in my box room at home, earning 9k a year in warehouses or kitchens and wondering why no girls will touch me where I wee.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Stop taking girls to the toilet with you may be a good start.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Aye, I hear what you're saying. But we differ in that I have a long term girlfriend and ear £25k working for an illustration company. Live away from home in my own large place, spending my evenings doing phys, eating a healthy diet and generally wondering why i want to throw it all a way for a life in Sandhurst and pain. But for some reason, I do.

But sadly, I respect my family above anything else, and hate seeing my mother cry. Perhaps I'm too loyal, but either way, its ******* annoying.
  10. He's so barking up the wrong tree there Girlfriend, it's clearly the RAF for him :nod:
    • Like Like x 2
  11. My mum cried when I got my first tattoo. Cried her eyes out the poor woman did. Never thought she'd forgive me, felt terrible.

Now I have lots of tattoo's and she likes one of them so much it's now her life saying!

The morale of the story, is that she'll learn to live with it. She'll love you no matter what and once you're in youll be all she talks about... 'My son is the army, i'm so proud of him!' etc.

So do it! Better that than in twenty years from now looking at your mum and girlfriend and thinking 'You evil cows ruined my life, I could've been somebody!!' :p
  12. To the lady who started the thread, is he/has he been in the cadets? If not send him there and see if he likes it?

13. He tried CCF for about 2 weeks, he's a boy who enjoys his home comforts

Oooo ta for calling me a lady, makes me feel all grown up xxxx
  14. Bootifull, if I could offer the lad some advice (and you know thats Draughtsman is one of the trades from my Corps) find another trade; he'll hardly ever use it outside of training and never get the credit for doing it when he does. Sorry but thats just my experience of the way Draughtsmen are used.

The poor tykes already at Boarding School, and I speak from experience; if he can hack (and even enjoy) Boarding School then he's probably going to find his first year or so in the Army a breeze.
  15. Maka does she know you are on here?
    • Like Like x 1