Baby boomers are the curse of my generation - elder abuse!

Discussion in 'The Lamp and Sandbag II - The Tall Story Strikes B' started by BoomShackerLacker, Oct 8, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Watchya backs!

2. Err - in English please. If he's trying to say that the final salary pension will average 2/3 of that salary he should have said so. But I think it's wrong - I suspect he's got hold of a particular group in the City.
  3. I heard similar on Radio 2 last week.
    Some young pup complaining thatt "it's not fair", that the older generation had grants off the government to go to university. Whereas the current young generation has to pay to go to uni & comes out with upwards of £15k debt. Also the older generation bought houses for approx £4k back in 1967, & they're now worth, again, upwards of £200k. And the current young generation have little chance of being able to afford houses at the moment.
    When it was pointed out that only about 4% in 1967 of the older generation went to uni as opposed to the current approximately 75%, he had no come back. Also, the fact that £4k was worth a lot more back then than it is now, & the fact that those houses have had nearly 40years to accrue value was of little note to him.
    It all boiled down to "It's not fair. We should have now, what they have worked for 40-50 years for". I could visualize him stamping his foot as he said it.

4. Sour grapes.
    Yes a house could be purchased for $4000. (sorry no pounds sign) in '67 though not many serving soldiers or officers up to Major (living on their salary) could afford one. Damn - MOST of us couldn't afford a bloody CAR in the 60s (unless posted to BAOR). How many of us could afford vacations?
    Sure some of us are fortunate to retire on 2/3rds salary - some 3/4s - that's the exception rather than the rule. Yeah there WERE university grants - though university was not nearly so accessible as it is now., for example, most officers entered Sandhurst straight from school with a very small percentage entering via POSUC - indicative of the difficulty in obtaining a place.

I share Miner's sentiments though would also tell the Tosser to "Shut the f*ck up!"
  5. Actually, I joined in 1967 and a 4000 quid house would have been a virtual mansion. I was offered a house for £950 but, as my Army pay was £6.17s.9d a week, I wouldn't have been able to get a mortgage (2 and half times salary was then the maximum). The 950 quid was a good house near Reading. Coronation Street type houses "oop North" were going for around 650 quid. We still had polytechnics in them days until they changed the name to "university". My annual tech college grant was £20 a year in 1965 which, coincidently, paid for my 2 shilling lunch for the year. God knows what the uni grant was cos I never mixed in them exalted circles.
  6. TheIronDuke

TheIronDuke LE Book Reviewer

Yeah, actually, I must. You got a problem with that, pal?

Me and wor lass are sitting pretty. More or less. Mortgage paid off and she has a decent pension coming. From decades of hard graft.

I'll work till I drop, but thats OK. I made my choices and besides, if I ever got some leisure I would just get into trouble.

So, the iPod Generation, at age... what? 25? 35? are whining on about us because they are worried about their PENSION?

Go out and take drugs or juggle knives you whining fucking tosspots. Worry about getting old when you get old.