• This is a stand-to for an incoming competition, one of our most expensive yet.
    Later this week we're going to be offering the opportunity to Win £270 Rab Neutrino Pro military down jacket
    Visit the thread at that link above and Watch it to be notified as soon as the competition goes live

Baath official warns of war with Israel

http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-3423116,00.html

If Israel doesn't vacate the strategic Golan Heights b y August- September, Syrian fighters will immediately launch "resistance operations" against Jewish communities in the Golan Heights , a top official from Syrian President Bashar Assad's Baath party told WND.

The Baath official, who spoke on condition his name be withheld, said Damascus was preparing for anticipated Israeli retaliation following these attacks and for a larger war with the Jewish state in August or September. He said Syria ha d the capabilit y of firing "hundreds" of missiles at Tel Aviv.

"Syria passed repeated messages to the US that we demand the return of the Golan either through negotiations or through war. If the Golan is not in our hands by August or September, we will be poised to launch resistance, including raids and attacks against Jewish positions (in the Golan Heights)," the Baath official said from Damascus.
Israeli security officials have confirmed the stepped-up military presence of Syrian troops deployed along the Syrian side of the Golan Heights. The security officials noted the movement of Syrian Scud missiles near the border with Israel and said Syria recently increased production of rockets and acquired missiles capable of hitting central Israeli population centers.

The Syrian army has improved its fortifications, according to the Israeli security officials, and has received modern, Russian-made anti-tank missiles similar to the missiles that devastated Israeli tanks during the last Lebanon war

B

Biscuits_AB

I sometimes wish that Isreal would show its hand and nuke these people. It may make the rest of them sit up and pay attention.

Biscuits_AB said:
I sometimes wish that Isreal would show its hand and nuke these people. It may make the rest of them sit up and pay attention.
Suppose that the Syrians would make raids, would bomb Golan Heights (internationally recognised Syrian territory) and avoid any attacks against mainland Israel. Would Israel have sufficient cause to use nuclear weapons? I doubt.

What Israel could do? To bomb Damscus? But the Syrians have anti-aircraft systems and could launch missiles toward Tel-Aviv.

Unlikely Israel would use tanks for offensive. The last Lebanese war showed that the Syrians are able to destroy a lot of them using anti-tank missiles.

B

Biscuits_AB

That was just the personal view of someone who is sick to death of hearing about the Middle East and all its overflowing problems. Keep your furry hat on comrade.

KGB_resident said:
Biscuits_AB said:
Suppose that the Syrians would make raids, would bomb Golan Heights (internationally recognised Syrian territory) and avoid any attacks against mainland Israel. Would Israel have sufficient cause to use nuclear weapons? I doubt.

What Israel could do? To bomb Damscus? But the Syrians have anti-aircraft systems and could launch missiles toward Tel-Aviv.

Unlikely Israel would use tanks for offensive. The last Lebanese war showed that the Syrians are able to destroy a lot of them using anti-tank missiles.
Ahh, but do Israel recognise the Golan as Syrian territory? Do Israel want to lose the access to water that the Golan Heights give them? I'd wager the answer would be 'no' to both.

Biscuits_AB said:
That was just the personal view of someone who is sick to death of hearing about the Middle East and all its overflowing problems. Keep your furry hat on comrade.
Well, Biscuits, I expressed my vision, how the war (though I hope it will not happen) would go.

Propose your opinion. What the Syrians and our Israeli friends would do? What would be their moves?

B

Biscuits_AB

I think you miss my point mate. The impetus for my post was my lack of enthusiasm for any more Middle East headlines.

cometcatcher said:
Ahh, but do Israel recognise the Golan as Syrian territory? Do Israel want to lose the access to water that the Golan Heights give them? I'd wager the answer would be 'no' to both.
Israel does not recognise the Golan Heights as Syrian territory, it was annexed. But no one country has recognised the annexation. So international community regards the Golans as ocupied lands.

Israel doesn't want to lose the access to water resources. So the only Syrian option is a thread to make an unacceptable damage (destruction of Tel-Aviv for example).

Biscuits_AB said:
I think you miss my point mate. The impetus for my post was my lack of enthusiasm for any more Middle East headlines.
Sorry mate, how I'm stupid. It's my imperfect English you know.

However there is a practical aspect here. It is possible that peacekeepes (including British ones) would be sent to the Golan Heights. So it is not absolutely abstract theme.

cometcatcher said:
Meanwhile, in related news......

http://www.upi.com/NewsTrack/Top_News/2007/07/09/syria_urges_syrians_to_leave_lebanon/5875/

Published: July 9, 2007 at 12:34 AM
E-mail Story | Print Preview | License
Syria urges Syrians to leave Lebanon
BERUIT, Lebanon, July 9 (UPI) -- Syria is calling on its citizens who are in Lebanon to leave the country ahead of an expected military "eruption" expected to take place next week.
Don't worry. The navigating officer on HMS Bulwark can do the Beruit harbour entry blindfolded following the last little incident in Lebanon. They probably haven't even sent the camp beds back to stores in Plymouth.

KGB_resident said:
cometcatcher said:
Israel does not recognise the Golan Heights as Syrian territory, it was annexed. But no one country has recognised the annexation. So international community regards the Golans as ocupied lands.

Israel doesn't want to lose the access to water resources. So the only Syrian option is a thread to make an unacceptable damage (destruction of Tel-Aviv for example).
Precisely, and one assumes the Israeli policies of preemption come into play.

Added to this, if Syria are predicting some kind of civil war in Lebanon starting very soon, possibly as early as next week - could they not choose to launch their strikes on Golani villages and IDF outposts whilst Israel and world opinion are looking the other way, so to speak?

Bugger. That is all very depressing.

Semantics perhaps, but I was under the impression that the Golan was in fact occupied and not annexed and this because Syria is still at war with Israel.

Wonder why Syria is warning it's civilians to leave the Lebanon now. Nothing to do with the fact that someone has been busy killing anti-syrian politicans in the Lebanon and generaly stirring the s***e.

Kitmarlowe said:
Wonder why Syria is warning it's civilians to leave the Lebanon now. Nothing to do with the fact that someone has been busy killing anti-syrian politicans in the Lebanon and generaly stirring the s***e.
Depending on who you listen too, the story might be totally different:

http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-3423447,00.html

Jumblatt: Syria trying to destabilize Lebanon

Says Damascus flooding country with nationals, reports of workers fleeing 'unfounded'

Aaron Klein, WND
Published: 07.10.07, 10:31 / Israel News

Widespread media reports of Syria warning its nationals to flee Lebanon ahead of a major outbreak of violence and civil war there are "unfounded," contended Lebanon's Druze Leader Walid Jumblatt in an interview Tuesday with WND.

If Israel doesn't vacate the strategic Golan Heights b y August- September, Syrian fighters will immediately launch "resistance operations" against Jewish communities in the Golan Heights , a top official from Syrian President Bashar Assad's Baath party told WND.

The Baath official, who spoke on condition his name be withheld, said Damascus was preparing for anticipated Israeli retaliation following these attacks and for a larger war with the Jewish state in August or September. He said Syria ha d the capabilit y of firing "hundreds" of missiles at Tel Aviv
Let me get this right Sergey. You have presented a piece , syndicated out of WorldNetDaily as a factual piece of news?

On top of that , this is a piece by Aaron Klein. To say the story is suspect , is being kind.

Edit. Just noticed Cometcatcher's post above. My , Mr. Klein is a very busy bunny at the moment.

PartTimePongo said:

The Baath official, who spoke on condition his name be withheld, said Damascus was preparing for anticipated Israeli retaliation following these attacks and for a larger war with the Jewish state in August or September. He said Syria ha d the capabilit y of firing "hundreds" of missiles at Tel Aviv
Let me get this right Sergey. You have presented a piece , syndicated out of WorldNetDaily as a factual piece of news?

On top of that , this is a piece by Aaron Klein. To say the story is suspect , is being kind.

Edit. Just noticed Cometcatcher's post above. My , Mr. Klein is a very busy bunny at the moment.
It's Rumour Service btw, PTP. Apparently the story is invented. It is a fairy-tale, not news exactly. However, obviously Syria is preparing to a war. Just now Syria is too weak military and huge American army is quite near. But later, a war is possible.

Maybe the author is a crook but his vision of possible Syrian strategy is not stupid at all.

Regardless of the variety of sources, there is heightened tension in the area (especially since July 2006). Various military indicators are also flagging (both sides of the border). However, this is a recurrent problem and only the people at the 'very top' know if hostilities will kick off soon for sure.

It also appears things are back at where they started regarding Lebanon and Syrian troops occupying part of the south.

http://www.debkafile.net/

Peace in the middle east will always appear illusive due to the fact that those in power in Israel's neighbouring countries, want to destroy her and nothing else will do for them.

Anyone else noted Russia's ressurgence in helping Israels enemies?

Latest Threads