BA149: The Last Flight to Kuwait

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Teech, Mar 20, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. BBC2 2320-0050 (just) Was I the only person who stayed up to see this?

Takes as its premise the fact that, while other national carriers learned of the 2 Aug 90 Iraqi invasion of Kuwait, and diverted their aircraft to alternative airports, HMG allowed BA149 to proceed blithely to Kuwait City as Iraqi lead elements reached that location, resulting in an extra 350 or so Brit, US, German & French passengers as hostages for Saddam's human shield.

The reason(allegedly): to infiltrate 4x deniable 2-man OPs into Kuwait to feed info back for Desert Shield and Desert Storm/Granby.

Obviously some psychological damage to all concerned. Only one casualty: the Emir of Kuwait's brother and Head of Kuwaiti security, killed by the Iraqis.

Morality vs. Good int discuss...

Btw Further programmes on BBC2 tonight (Baghdad A&E) and Wednesday (Lawyers from the Saddam trials) in case anybody's interested.

2. Cutaway

Cutaway LE Reviewer

I didn't see the programme, but weren't there some SF types on that flight ?

WRR.

3. Yes, but I heard that their black holdalls full of "Them" gear turned up on a carousel in Hong Kong though.......

• Like Like x 2
  4. The official line is, no, its an elaborate story dreamt up to sell a load of iffy books to walts and fantasists.
    I coudn't possibly comment.

5. Cutaway

Cutaway LE Reviewer

But they would say that wouldn't they...

WRR.

6. One of 'them' (allegedly) on the flight (allegedly) featured prominently in the program. Only in silhouette, and voice disguised (allegedly).

Whiffler (allegedly)

7. One of "Them" on the flight has been identified as the eighth man on "The Balcony" at Princes Gate....he is now 55, bald, weighs 18 stone with a squint and lives with his mum but he only talks about it in the pub if you buy him some beer.

8. Actually it was me, at 13 the youngest even trooper with THEM, but I can't talk about it...oh if you insist. Sit back and I'll tell you tail..........

9. I had hoped to stimulate a discussion on how far people would go to obtain good intelligence - as in the alleged case on the programme that started me on this thread - but it seems to have developed into attempted irony (need I remind you of Section 69, Army Act 1955).

So, how far would you go to obtain reliable real-time intelligence?

10. Cutaway

Cutaway LE Reviewer

Ok, you've reminded me of the most ironic section in the Act.
    Now what ?

11. interesting that according to the programme the operation was called Op. TROJAN HORSE

strange diversion from normal SOP to give it a name that doesnt seem particuarly random or secure, and appears to suggest it was an exercise rather than a live op. = in other words, a big old load of bollocks!

12. How do you identify the '8th' out of 2823 ---4--5--8--and counting! :headbang:

13. cpunk

cpunk LE Moderator

I would go as far as spending billions of dollars lobbing various types of satellites into space, to intercept communications of all kinds, as well as capturing various types of imagery. I'm not sure that I'd bother speculatively sending a few SF bods for a nose around on the off chance that they were able to find something, at the risk of allowing hundreds of civvies to be captured or killed.

As it happens, almost everyone involved in the film shown last night knows that our superhero in silhouette is bogus and neither served in SF, nor took part in any operation in Kuwait, but I suspect that they'd spent so much money making the film, they thought they'd show it anyway, even if it was in the middle of the night when they knew nobody would be watching.

• Like Like x 1
  14. i saw it... one of 'them' got realy sick, and couldn't make it to the pick up point, so his mate picked him up and walked the 12 (not sure of it was miles of K's)...

15. cpunk

cpunk LE Moderator

Only in their fantasies.