BA Chief Takes Away Strikers Travel Perks

Discussion in 'Travel' started by dangerousdave, Mar 24, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. permanently :D

British Airways is taking away the travel discounts of cabin crew who took part in last weekend's strike.

Chief executive Willie Walsh had warned staff their "perks" on travel and free flights would be permanently withdrawn if they joined the walkout.

Members of Unite who took industrial action for three days from Saturday are now being sent letters telling them they are losing their privileges with immediate effect.
  2. Sympathetic_Reaction

Sympathetic_Reaction LE Book Reviewer

I didn't think you could punish people for legal union activites including strikes.

3. the_boy_syrup

the_boy_syrup LE Book Reviewer

I don't think you can punish them within their working terms and condition
    However as these are company perks you can remove them

I expect the nice office the union reps get to use for their union business might suddenly get downgraded to a broom cupboard with a phone and old computor
  4. "This is a non-contractual perk that the company can withdraw at its discretion"

Makes me smile that the union/strikers didn't think BA had the balls to do it. haha :twisted:
  5. Good, fcuk 'em.
  6. maninblack

maninblack LE Book Reviewer

No sympathy, they are vastly overpaid compared with other airlines.
  7. Indeed they are.

A family friend of mine (who does conform to the stereotype!), he is a cabin boy/trolley dolly/whatever the PC term is for BA.

His mother & friends regularly jet around the world on his flights, in business class, for as little as £150 per trip.
  8. I just wonder if these "perks",were taken into account by the tax man,to me they sound suspiciously like benefit in kind,and as such should be included as taxable income? :twisted:
  10. Good on him.
  11. TheIronDuke

TheIronDuke LE Book Reviewer

BA Trolly Dollies are without the shadow of a doubt the most snotty idle gits of any airline I fly. And my fare price should pay for their Nan to fly to Australia for £20?

Hmmmm. I'll come back to you on that one.

Fuck 'em. Get a job and a haircut. Or choke on a chicken bone.

Either one works for me.
  12. I believe other companies that offer perks to their workers are taken into account by the tax man. Certainly the nationalised industries and I wouldn't imagine BA's perks would be exempt from this.
  13. I'd be chuffed to bits as a BA employee after working for nothing to help the company, now blowing all those savings on their own strike.

14. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

Bummer, a non contractual perk, that BA said you would lose if you went on strike. Just because for the last 15 years BA caved into BASSA doesn't mean they will this time, DOH!!!
  15. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Its a good tactic, it was used by TfL to break the deadlock in negotiations with unions last summer. They could only withdraw 75% discounted season tickets from non protected staff (ie new in the last 10 or so years) but it was enough of a threat to split the unions!