BA Asks Its Staff To Work For Nothing

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by dangerousdave, Jun 16, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/Business/British-Airways-Asks-Its-Staff-To-Work-For-Nothing-For-A-Month-To-Save-Money-During-The-Recession/Article/200906315309369?lpos=Business_Carousel_Region_0&lid=ARTICLE_15309369_British_Airways_Asks_Its_Staff_To_Work_For_Nothing_For_A_Month_To_Save_Money_During_The_Recession

British Airways is asking its 40,000 staff to work for nothing.
    Chief executive Willie Walsh said he was making the appeal because the company was in a "fight for survival".

BA has asked its staff to work for between one week and one month without wages.

8O

Are they having a laugh??? Why not ask the shareholders and directors not to cash in for a few years!!!! :x

2. Shitt Creak Without a Paddle springs to mind...

Don't think that to many people will be rushing to book flights with BA this year then...!

3. I like it how someone on a directors rate gave up a months wages as an example-easy to say if you've got hundreds of thousands in his account! If someone asked me to work for free, well what part of 'FCuk right off you tight fisted pr1ck' don't you understand?

4. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

Would this be the same airline that, maybe 6 or 7 years ago said something along the lines of 'screw the proles, our market rests with the rich and well-heeled' and then promptly increased all its fares by 10-20% across the board?

If it IS the same company, well, you reap what you sow, and good riddance when you're gone.

5. It's quite simple really. Staff make some minor concessions or staff lose their job - no brainer for most people. Some of the global airlines will go bust this year - best if BA ain't one of them.

Incidentally, shareholders have already taken their hit, both in the share price and in the dividends.

6. I book hundreds of flights / Hotels a year for our Engineers ... and they simply will not use BA because of bad experiences and unhelpful staff...... I dont think it will save them... so its not really worth giving up a months wages...

7. Hope they still can afford to service the Aircraft 8O

8. Agree with Pombsen; if BA is properly in the pooh (which wouldn't be surprising given their ability to have a major embarrassment/screw up on an almost annual basis) then something must be done to keep them solvent. Shame for the individuals taking a hit in their pay but if it keeps them going then it will be worth it. I had recently stopped flying with them, except in extremis, as I had finally become bored of the rubbish service from their staff.
    whf

9. You offering to pay their bills for the month?

10. That was my thinking (as well as price influence) when I booked my return flight to Singapore with SIA rather than BA last night!

11. It would however affect those at the bottom of the pay pool who might not have a pile of savings to tuck into as and when.

If I was one of those at the bottom I'd tell them to poke it.

12. What's the problem? Most of them are on time-and-a-half most of the time anyway.

13. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Hang about folks, why should anything be done to save BA? In fact no failing business' should be propped up with our loot.
    The banks should have been allowed to go to the wall, it would have created a better free market and in the end the fittest would survive!

14. It surely cannot be classed as voluntary work, as the threat of no job must imply coersion. Is there a tax rule about companies getting benefit in kind by using slave labour? If not, there soon will be.

15. Nope. But Cyclops (or the SS on his behalf) will if they don't make said concessions.