BA Asks Its Staff To Work For Nothing

#1
http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/Bu...or_A_Month_To_Save_Money_During_The_Recession

British Airways is asking its 40,000 staff to work for nothing.
Chief executive Willie Walsh said he was making the appeal because the company was in a "fight for survival".

BA has asked its staff to work for between one week and one month without wages.

8O

Are they having a laugh??? Why not ask the shareholders and directors not to cash in for a few years!!!! :x
 
#3
I like it how someone on a directors rate gave up a months wages as an example-easy to say if you've got hundreds of thousands in his account! If someone asked me to work for free, well what part of 'FCuk right off you tight fisted pr1ck' don't you understand?
 

Biped

LE
Book Reviewer
#4
Would this be the same airline that, maybe 6 or 7 years ago said something along the lines of 'screw the proles, our market rests with the rich and well-heeled' and then promptly increased all its fares by 10-20% across the board?

If it IS the same company, well, you reap what you sow, and good riddance when you're gone.
 
#5
It's quite simple really. Staff make some minor concessions or staff lose their job - no brainer for most people. Some of the global airlines will go bust this year - best if BA ain't one of them.

Incidentally, shareholders have already taken their hit, both in the share price and in the dividends.
 
#6
I book hundreds of flights / Hotels a year for our Engineers ... and they simply will not use BA because of bad experiences and unhelpful staff...... I dont think it will save them... so its not really worth giving up a months wages...
 
#8
Agree with Pombsen; if BA is properly in the pooh (which wouldn't be surprising given their ability to have a major embarrassment/screw up on an almost annual basis) then something must be done to keep them solvent. Shame for the individuals taking a hit in their pay but if it keeps them going then it will be worth it. I had recently stopped flying with them, except in extremis, as I had finally become bored of the rubbish service from their staff.
whf
 
#9
pombsen-armchair-warrior said:
It's quite simple really. Staff make some minor concessions or staff lose their job - no brainer for most people. Some of the global airlines will go bust this year - best if BA ain't one of them.

Incidentally, shareholders have already taken their hit, both in the share price and in the dividends.
You offering to pay their bills for the month?
 
#10
heard_it_all_before said:
Shitt Creak Without a Paddle springs to mind...

Don't think that to many people will be rushing to book flights with BA this year then...!
That was my thinking (as well as price influence) when I booked my return flight to Singapore with SIA rather than BA last night!
 
#11
It would however affect those at the bottom of the pay pool who might not have a pile of savings to tuck into as and when.

If I was one of those at the bottom I'd tell them to poke it.
 
#12
What's the problem? Most of them are on time-and-a-half most of the time anyway.
 

ugly

LE
Moderator
#13
Hang about folks, why should anything be done to save BA? In fact no failing business' should be propped up with our loot.
The banks should have been allowed to go to the wall, it would have created a better free market and in the end the fittest would survive!
 
#14
It surely cannot be classed as voluntary work, as the threat of no job must imply coersion. Is there a tax rule about companies getting benefit in kind by using slave labour? If not, there soon will be.
 
#15
Kitmarlowe said:
You offering to pay their bills for the month?
Nope. But Cyclops (or the SS on his behalf) will if they don't make said concessions.
 
#16
DozyBint said:
heard_it_all_before said:
Shitt Creak Without a Paddle springs to mind...

Don't think that to many people will be rushing to book flights with BA this year then...!
That was my thinking (as well as price influence) when I booked my return flight to Singapore with SIA rather than BA last night!
Ha, I'm so fecking chuffed that I booked all my flights with the Big Orange one and not with BA.
:D
 
#17
I don't think this will help their suitation either
Last week it emerged that BA pays its cabin crew and pilots up to twice as much as rival airlines. The average salary for BA’s 14,000 cabin crew, including bonuses and allowances, is £29,900, compared with £14,400 at Virgin Atlantic and £20,200 at easyJet. BA’s pilots earn an average of £107,600, compared with £89,500 at Virgin and £71,400 at easyJet.
full story:
http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/business/industry_sectors/transport/article6510479.ece

I see Mr Walsh adds:
Our survival depends on everyone contributing to changes that permanently remove costs from every part of the business,” he added.

why does'nt he & others at the top flight of the company show an example & do what many other firms are doing & take a pay cut themselves or be flexible, or is that not accepted for high all mighty :evil:
 
#18
beemer007 said:
why does'nt he & others at the top flight of the company show an example & do what many other firms are doing & take a pay cut themselves or be flexible, or is that not accepted for high all mighty :evil:
Please keep up:

Mr Walsh said he would forgo his wages in July, worth a reported £61,000, after the company announced a record £401m pre-tax loss in May.
 
#20
pombsen-armchair-warrior said:
beemer007 said:
why does'nt he & others at the top flight of the company show an example & do what many other firms are doing & take a pay cut themselves or be flexible, or is that not accepted for high all mighty :evil:
Please keep up:

Mr Walsh said he would forgo his wages in July, worth a reported £61,000, after the company announced a record £401m pre-tax loss in May.
Well i did also say "others" to show an example but never mind, things a looking a little grim by the looks of it :(
 

Similar threads

Latest Threads