B705 Attendance

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Officer Recruiting' started by DMan, Feb 1, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Anyone else going to this briefing? Its on 20-21 Feb.

What are you guys doing in preparation to it?

I've mainly been working on my fitness, and keeping up with current affairs. Also been doing some example MAP tests. Regarding the PlanEx, I will probably do a few of them the week before.

Any other advice?

2. I'm aiming for that date just waiting for my paperwork to get processed, how long did yours take?

I'm hitting the gym everyday, working on my SDT calculations and keepin abreast of current affairs. From my research it appears that the mental side of it is far more taxing then the physical, so in going to track down some psychometric tests, map and planning exs. I've also got a bleep test app so I'll brave the cold one day find a field and practice that too.

What do you reckon the group discussions will be? I reckon something about the eurozone or the shrinking of the army and how that could effect future prospects.
  3. I sent off my CV in the middle of December and received an email about 3 weeks later with a list of dates to choose from. The earliest was 6-7 february but I couldn't do that.

I think the group discussions will be quite varied, probably something about the UK internally, like the economy or benefits. Then something about the european crisis and something international i.e. Iran.

When I did my OTC weekend test, one of the questions was "Should Prostitution be legalised?" This is not something you can prepare for and they just want to see how you put your personal point across and whether you can listen to other peoples ideas and argue them if you think they are wrong. But just a general understanding of events currently going on will be fine.

4. How do you keep up with that? I exercise about 5-6 times a week but 2-3 of the days I'll be playing sports of some kind, and always have at least one day off for recovery and not think about the next workout. I would recommend taking at least one day off. And make sure you are mixing cardio and body strength workouts to get overall fitness.

5. I'll be honest and say everyday is a bit of an exaggeration, I cycle to work where I work evenings so I always go before an evening shift but if I'm doing a day shift on the weekend I'll give the gym a miss - but still cycle, or if I wake up aching I will have a rest day but cycle harder and do sit ups and some free weights at home. Rest days are important but I'm in some weird mindset where I guilt myself to go pretty much everyday and feel really lazy if I don't go.
  6. Quick question about your interview, I'm guessing this means the ACA int?

The way mine was laid out it appeared that it was not an interview but rather a meeting with an advisor. So for example he's put me forward to Westbury and sent letters off to my relevant Regs does this mean that ive 'passed' or weather they are obligated to put everyone through but 'advise' if they do not reckon they will pass the AOSB?

I was just told to keep abreast of current affairs, talk slower and stop rubbing my hands!
  7. At my initial meeting with my ACA there were 6 of us. He told 2 that he felt they should go away and consider how much they want to be officers and then go back to him if they still want to proceed. For the other 4 of us he proceeded to put us through for briefing and wished us the best of luck.

At the initial meeting the sponsor does have the right to reject applicants, afterall as part of the recruitment service his job is not only to offer support to the applicants, but to try and reduce the number of dimwitted applicants which make it through to briefing and take up the space which could have been utilised by a potential Cat 1.
  8. Yes this was my ACA interview.

It was like an informal interview. Asked about my school results, my degree studies, what sports I take part in, any positions of responsibility, why I want to join the army, what does the word leadership mean to you, why you think you will be a good officer?

It lasted about 45-50 minutes. She then gave me some forms to fill in and told me possible dates for briefing and main board. My interview was in December and she said the earliest briefing I could go to was in early February and the earliest main board was mid June.

9. Also, when you initially recieve you briefing date email, its includes a link to example MAP tests. I have been doing a few of these today and they seem pretty straight forward, however are they much harder compared to the ones you will do on briefing or main board?

10. The briefing one is quite easy - it is designed to introduce the idea of planning exercises to you and then see how you do with a simple one. you are NOT given enough time to come up with a full idea, the idea is to test how you do under pressure

Just make sure you meet your Essential aims and that you have at least shown consideration for your Desirable aims (the terms will be clearer once you are given initial instructions), pay clear attention to ALL of the tools at your disposal, ensure you are capable of working out Speed/Distance/Time accurately, don't avoid what seems the 'obvious' route just because it seems too simple. Sometimes the straightest route is the fastest.

As a final note on the plan-ex, don't be afraid to give your justifications for certain decisions. I.e a guy on my briefing chose to leave a family at the roadside to die and said that having a chance of saving their lives was not worth the risk of putting hundreds of lives at risk if he didn't get the supplies to the village on time. It doesn't matter if we agreed with him, what mattered was that he had a real reason rather than just overlooking their lives.

** I just realised you were talking about the mental aptitude profile and I was talking about the planning exercise... I guess it's stil handy info though. :thumright:
  11. Yes I was talking about the MAP tests, bu this is still useful.
  12. Guys,

Don't get too caught up on the group discussion and do not try to guess what the topics are! They will often throw you a really vague question and you are to construct a discussion around it. For example, 'are the Olympics fair?' Discuss. It will not be something like 'Discuss the conflict in Libya from start to finish highlighting all the important dates, political figures and outcomes'. Although it helps to have a good knowledge of all current affairs and every little detail, it is better to have a grasp of the issue, why it is importnat and have an opinion about it. Whether your opinion is right or wrong, it doesn't matter! Provided you can argue your stance, you will be fine.

Finally, if you have an opinion/point of view on something, pipe up and say it. The DS cannot assess you if they have nothing to go on. Do not get overwhelmed......the group discussion is a lot of fun!!

PS. There are the personal thoughts of the author - nothing is implied, promised or guaranteed - no advice is intended
  13. That's very true ^

We had random questions like "what are your thoughts on the suggested raising of the motorway speed limit to 80mph and do you think it will increase fatalities" It was aimed to make us think on the spot, as everyone had been expecting to be asked about the middle-east or current military affairs.
  14. +1

The Group Leader could think of topics from the morning newspaper! Don't try to predict it, just read general news stories. The main aim is to influence the debate, come to the fore and have natural presence while doing so. I received a CAT3 for not doing this (as well as in the outdoor tasks).

Having natural presence, determination, and enthusiasm are the desired elements. Fitness, MAP, and current affairs are only the required elements. I base this on my results, so please only take this as one man's advice.