B52s....any comments...?

Boeing Awarded $30 Million U.S. Air Force Contract to Upgrade B-52s
ST. LOUIS, May 22, 2007 -- The Boeing Company [NYSE: BA] has been awarded a $30 million U.S. Air Force contract to upgrade the B-52 fleet's Integrated Weapons Interface Units (IWIU), providing flight crews with enhanced smart weapon visibility and control.

"IWIUs represent a significant upgrade to the B-52 fleet," said Scot Oathout, Boeing B-52 program director. "This contract will allow us to upgrade existing fleet equipment and support future enhancements that will keep the B-52 flying a very important mission for our armed forces all over the world."

Boeing will replace the current, three-piece interface units with a single, state-of-the-art IWIU. Boeing will assemble and test the units at its St. Charles, Mo., weapons facility, before shipping them to Wichita, Kans., where the company will prepare the modification kits for final delivery and provide engineering support during customer installation.

"Boeing, along with our Air Force customer, is committed to developing cost effective and innovative solutions for the B-52," said Oathout. "The new IWIU also can be used in future modifications that could double the platform's smart weapons capacity."

Boeing will deliver the first kit in October 2008. The Air Force will perform the modifications using contract field teams at the main B-52 operating bases in Barksdale, La., and Minot, N.D. The modifications are expected to be completed by late 2011.

It's probably overtaken the Canberra as the longest serving jet aircraft type I would think. Last Canberras went a year or two ago.

Where has the blondes chin gone :?
And whats with the pathetic attempt of a beard :?

Sorry back on thread.
So bombers eh, new kit eh?

If only we had americas defence budget.......

EX_STAB said:
It's probably overtaken the Canberra as the longest serving jet aircraft type I would think. Last Canberras went a year or two ago.
The last B52 off the production line was delivered in 1962!

I read the USAF intends to keep flying them until some of the older ones will be nearing 80 years old! At this point, erosion of the control surfaces will have made them uneconomic to maintain.

They're ideal for post cold war conflicts against countries like Afghanistan that lack sophisticated air defences. They're cheap, they carry loads of bombs and they drop them with reasonable accuracy. No need for invisible, stealthy, IR shielded, satellite uplinked, supersonic bombers if your enemy lives in a cave!

Boeing tried to sell the Americans a fleet of new bombers based on civil airliners (possibly 777) but USAF declined stating 'if it aint broke dont fix it'.

There is a B52 in the inventory that has three generations of one family in it's log book... the eldest was an engine mechanic, his son worked on avionics, and his grandson co-piloted the bird. Of course, they have been rebuilt so many times that not much of the original aircraft remains.

Ancient_Mariner said:
I read the USAF intends to keep flying them until some of the older ones will be nearing 80 years old! At this point, erosion of the control surfaces will have made them uneconomic to maintain.

Last Discovery program i watched hinted at having them go to 90Years with a few more planned upgrade programs.

"This reminds me of a great Only Fools and Horse sketch where Trigger had the same broom for 13 years, with 7 Different shafts and 9 new heads"....

did see a B52 in Saigon.....as a RAMC medic with the RAOC ...air cargo loading a Bristol Freighter ......days of "Cheng Ping! OBE"......and a short barrell shotgun...."selemat"...................Back to the thread....a B52 was excellent...us BRITS had a special drop how to make NAPALM....= LUX SOAP FLAKES & KEROSINE.......= all past history..............

boris7 said:
did see a B52 in Saigon.....as a RAMC medic with the RAOC ...air cargo loading a Bristol Freighter ......days of "Cheng Ping! OBE"......and a short barrell shotgun...."selemat"...................Back to the thread....a B52 was excellent...us BRITS had a special drop how to make NAPALM....= LUX SOAP FLAKES & KEROSINE.......= all past history..............
Are you, in fact, Rowley Birkin, QC?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rRRuzc-rOps&mode=related&search=

There is a B52 in the inventory that has three generations of one family in it's log book... the eldest was an engine mechanic, his son worked on avionics, and his grandson co-piloted the bird. Of course, they have been rebuilt so many times that not much of the original aircraft remains.
The RAF still has some VC10 frames that have been flown by 3 generations of the same family.

Grandfather - BOAC Senior Captain responsible for introduction of aircraft.
Son - BA VC10 pilot, later Concorde Captain.
Granddaughter - RAF VC10 Captain.

This was the grandfather:

telegraph.co.uk

Contrary to popular belief, the basic structure of these old aircraft will not have been replaced. Some of the fittings, engines etc will be different have but the wings, fuselage and tail will remain mostly original. They are not like Trigger's broom!

Hopefully not on the same mission though :D .I know generation ships are a sci fi concept but crab air can make them seem a reality .
I guess the next generation will be some sort of converted airliner .Only going to fly in friendly skies or need to truck cruisemissles to a standoff distance .

Good aircraft does its job when there is no serious aviation opposition.
Bit like the F15 fantastic record against leauge divison 2 or the US Army against 5th rate armies.
If your not completeing against the best then your, Old passed it's best, is often more then adaquate.
john

I was talking to a Buff jockey a couple of years ago. He told me they were looking to life them up to 2040 (I've also heard this same date from a KC135 bod)! Apparently, whilst the airframes are 'old' a lot of them a have low hours - and there's shed-loads of spares at AMARC.

I suggested that the Gulf War stressed a lot of usable life out of the remaining Buff fleet but not so... apparently. 'It's what they're designed to do!' There's nothing in the pipeline that can even come close to dumping sizable chunks of ordnance in a one-er quite like the B52. And now that they're a multi-mission platform? Whilst I was surprised at his revelation, I wasn't quite as surprised as he was when one of our 'B57s' beat up the airfield at full pelt before finals.

Latest Threads