B52s....any comments...?

Discussion in 'Aviation' started by boris7, May 22, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Boeing Awarded $30 Million U.S. Air Force Contract to Upgrade B-52s
    ST. LOUIS, May 22, 2007 -- The Boeing Company [NYSE: BA] has been awarded a $30 million U.S. Air Force contract to upgrade the B-52 fleet's Integrated Weapons Interface Units (IWIU), providing flight crews with enhanced smart weapon visibility and control.

"IWIUs represent a significant upgrade to the B-52 fleet," said Scot Oathout, Boeing B-52 program director. "This contract will allow us to upgrade existing fleet equipment and support future enhancements that will keep the B-52 flying a very important mission for our armed forces all over the world."

Boeing will replace the current, three-piece interface units with a single, state-of-the-art IWIU. Boeing will assemble and test the units at its St. Charles, Mo., weapons facility, before shipping them to Wichita, Kans., where the company will prepare the modification kits for final delivery and provide engineering support during customer installation.

"Boeing, along with our Air Force customer, is committed to developing cost effective and innovative solutions for the B-52," said Oathout. "The new IWIU also can be used in future modifications that could double the platform's smart weapons capacity."

Boeing will deliver the first kit in October 2008. The Air Force will perform the modifications using contract field teams at the main B-52 operating bases in Barksdale, La., and Minot, N.D. The modifications are expected to be completed by late 2011.
  2. sorry wrong thread should have gone RAF.............
  3. Theres me thinking we were talking alcohol

Attached Files:

4. It's probably overtaken the Canberra as the longest serving jet aircraft type I would think. Last Canberras went a year or two ago.
  5. double Port ..please.......
  6. I thought it was a thread about the group......''In the love shack baby''

Attached Files:

7. Where has the blondes chin gone :?
    And whats with the pathetic attempt of a beard :?

Sorry back on thread.
    So bombers eh, new kit eh?

If only we had americas defence budget.......
  8. ARRSE doesn't have an RAF thread either.
  9. The last B52 off the production line was delivered in 1962!

I read the USAF intends to keep flying them until some of the older ones will be nearing 80 years old! At this point, erosion of the control surfaces will have made them uneconomic to maintain.

They're ideal for post cold war conflicts against countries like Afghanistan that lack sophisticated air defences. They're cheap, they carry loads of bombs and they drop them with reasonable accuracy. No need for invisible, stealthy, IR shielded, satellite uplinked, supersonic bombers if your enemy lives in a cave!

Boeing tried to sell the Americans a fleet of new bombers based on civil airliners (possibly 777) but USAF declined stating 'if it aint broke dont fix it'.
  10. There is a B52 in the inventory that has three generations of one family in it's log book... the eldest was an engine mechanic, his son worked on avionics, and his grandson co-piloted the bird. Of course, they have been rebuilt so many times that not much of the original aircraft remains.

11. Last Discovery program i watched hinted at having them go to 90Years with a few more planned upgrade programs.

"This reminds me of a great Only Fools and Horse sketch where Trigger had the same broom for 13 years, with 7 Different shafts and 9 new heads"....
  12. did see a B52 in Saigon.....as a RAMC medic with the RAOC ...air cargo loading a Bristol Freighter ......days of "Cheng Ping! OBE"......and a short barrell shotgun...."selemat"...................Back to the thread....a B52 was excellent...us BRITS had a special drop how to make NAPALM....= LUX SOAP FLAKES & KEROSINE.......= all past history..............
  13. Indeed Boris. Somebody of your maturity should know better than to drink such a brew!
  14. my mother said I was brain dead!