B52 flies with 6 nukes on plyons: "by mistake"

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Blogg, Sep 5, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Could have been one hell of an ND. Only a career nuked though.

WASHINGTON -- A B-52 bomber was mistakenly armed with six nuclear warheads and flown for more than three hours across several states last week, prompting an Air Force investigation and the firing of one commander, Pentagon officials said Wednesday.

Rep. Ike Skelton, chairman of the House Armed Services Committee, called the mishandling of the weapons "deeply disturbing" and said the committee would press the military for details.

The plane was carrying Advanced Cruise Missiles from Minot Air Force Base, N.D, to Barksdale Air Force Base, La., on Aug. 30, said the officials, who spoke on condition of anonymity because of a Defense Department policy not to confirm information on nuclear weapons.

The missiles, which are being decommissioned, were mounted onto pylons on the bomber's wings and it is unclear why the warheads had not been removed beforehand
  2. Somebody has not been getting a declaration before letting them leave the firing point.
  3. Isn't this sort of thing looked for in the preflight checks?

Still, the New Orleans Mardi Gras will go with a bang this year.
  4. the_boy_syrup

the_boy_syrup LE Book Reviewer

I shall resist the Dr Strangelove comparisoms

Ah **** it

Mine fuehrer I can valk :D
  5. [sarcasm]
    Well done the septics. Good drills all round as always!

6. " and if after leaving the range, you find any nuclear weapons about your person, then hand them in to a member of the Range Staff, and nothing more, may be said"
  7. Old Chestnut from WW2.

When the Germans fly over, the British dive for cover!

When the British fly over, the Germans dive for cover!

When the Americans fly over. Everyone dives for cover!
  8. I take it it was flying in the direction of Iran.