B*****y Cyclists

Yeah but obviously the pollution will be reduced with all those green cyclists and lots of others using the buses of course.
Doubtful as I was there Monday, traffic was stationary for around five minutes all chucking out fumes. But at least the six pedestrians, three cyclists and the one pigeon I saw were enjoying the space...

Doubtful as I was there Monday, traffic was stationary for around five minutes all chucking out fumes. But at least the six pedestrians, three cyclists and the one pigeon I saw were enjoying the space...
Apparently having lots of cars isn't sustainable in city centres, hence the push to force people out of cars and onto bikes or even walk. Precisely why it's unsustainable to have lots of cars in a city centre is a mystery, we seem to have coped pretty much OK for decades and with less polluting cars coming up, the air quality can only improve surely? But no, "CAR EVIL" it seems.

Looked at another way, without cars, city centres aren't sustainable, 'cos all those planet-killing evil fuckers who currently go to them by car, won't go to them by bike or on foot. Throw in the fact that big offices in city centres may well go the way of the dodo, and who will actually be going to them in future?

Apparently having lots of cars isn't sustainable in city centres, hence the push to force people out of cars and onto bikes or even walk. Precisely why it's unsustainable to have lots of cars in a city centre is a mystery, we seem to have coped pretty much OK for decades and with less polluting cars coming up, the air quality can only improve surely? But no, "CAR EVIL" it seems.

Looked at another way, without cars, city centres aren't sustainable, 'cos all those planet-killing evil ******* who currently go to them by car, won't go to them by bike or on foot. Throw in the fact that big offices in city centres may well go the way of the dodo, and who will actually be going to them in future?
So we just need to suck it up for a few more decades to reap the benefits?

So we just need to suck it up for a few more decades to reap the benefits?
What, the "pop up" ( :puker::puker: ) cycle lanes? God I hope not. Every one I've heard of has caused more congestion and thus pollution and therefore reduced air quality.

Good idea to provide more cycle facilities but all too often poorly implemented.

I'm sure he'll be rushing over to help the police with their investigation, as fast as his bike can carry him.

I wonder how much the NHS treatment for apoplexy for the haters on this thread will be? (Or the first inexperienced patient to sue his GP/HMG for a cycling-related injury sustained while out getting fit.)

'Boris Johnson's new health drive for England will see people receive £50 vouchers to have their bikes repaired, while GPs will be able to prescribe cycling to people in disadvantaged areas.

'With obesity a huge risk factor in coronavirus patients, the PM has announced an "ambitious" plan to increase cycling and walking with the creation of thousands of miles of new protected bike lanes to come alongside cycle training for any child or adult. This will come on top of a planned pilot for GPs in areas with poor health rates to start prescribing cycling, with patients able to access bikes at their local surgery.

'As part of his fitness "revolution", the prime minister wants to emulate the Dutch love of cycling by funding 12 new areas to become more biker friendly, known as "mini-Hollands". Mini-Hollands will receive intensive, transformational spending on their roads and streetscapes "to make them, over time, as cycle and pedestrian-friendly as their Dutch equivalents".

'And anyone with a broken cycle will be able to have it fixed, with the government providing £50 repair vouchers to encourage people to get back on their bike. The first 50,000 will be available to apply for just before midnight on Tuesday 28 July on a first come first served basis, with vouchers limited to a maximum of two per household.'

Boris apparently takes his god for walks, not his dog. I know proofreading takes time and effort but someone should have spotted that one.

Thanks for the heads up, I was planning on getting a new chain anyway so will see if I can grab one of those vouchers.

clanky

War Hero
You can only use the voucher by booking your bike in with a participating shop mechanic? My local mechanic is fully booked till the end of August.

I wonder how much the NHS treatment for apoplexy for the haters on this thread will be? (Or the first inexperienced patient to sue his GP/HMG for a cycling-related injury sustained while out getting fit.)

'Boris Johnson's new health drive for England will see people receive £50 vouchers to have their bikes repaired, while GPs will be able to prescribe cycling to people in disadvantaged areas.

'With obesity a huge risk factor in coronavirus patients, the PM has announced an "ambitious" plan to increase cycling and walking with the creation of thousands of miles of new protected bike lanes to come alongside cycle training for any child or adult. This will come on top of a planned pilot for GPs in areas with poor health rates to start prescribing cycling, with patients able to access bikes at their local surgery.

'As part of his fitness "revolution", the prime minister wants to emulate the Dutch love of cycling by funding 12 new areas to become more biker friendly, known as "mini-Hollands". Mini-Hollands will receive intensive, transformational spending on their roads and streetscapes "to make them, over time, as cycle and pedestrian-friendly as their Dutch equivalents".

'And anyone with a broken cycle will be able to have it fixed, with the government providing £50 repair vouchers to encourage people to get back on their bike. The first 50,000 will be available to apply for just before midnight on Tuesday 28 July on a first come first served basis, with vouchers limited to a maximum of two per household.'

1595923811179.png

Those that become apoplectic at this will have a stroke when they when they see the proposed amendments to the Highway Code.

I would go so far as to say the @exbluejob may spill his Werther's Originals.

Those that become apoplectic at this will have a stroke when they when they see the proposed amendments to the Highway Code.

I would go so far as to say the @exbluejob may spill his Werther's Originals.
Steady on old boy! Nothing could trigger me that much unless the wife said she was up the duff, we're both in our 60's.

I notice there is no mention in any part of the proposals forbidding the Lycra-clad louts to ride five-abreast along country lanes.

I notice there is no mention in any part of the proposals forbidding the Lycra-clad louts to ride five-abreast along country lanes.
That'll be because, with social distancing limits, you can't get 5-abreast along a country lane.:)

That'll be because, with social distancing limits, you can't get 5-abreast along a country lane.:)
Or because two abreast, possibly three, is about as much as one carriageway can take.

Latest Threads