B*****y Cyclists

I'm averaging one incident like this every week at the moment. I'm not going to post every one of them on here.
It seems like car and van drivers have taken their time off during lockdown to forget everything they were taught about safe driving.
On the flip side, I was followed by an artic for at least a mile last night - which, at about 18mph must have been annoying for him - before he was comfortable overtaking me, which he did in a thoroughly safe and professional manner.
I drive for a living, encountering pedal cyclists is a daily occurrence.
The vast majority of people on bicycles are either commuting to work or are getting on in years and trying to stay fit. My view on them, give them plenty of space, don't drive dead close and intimidate them.
If I'm stuck behind them for a few minutes, big deal it's not the end of the world.

What does piss me off is the lycra clad idiots riding in great big packs behaving as if they own the road. It's these arseholes that give the other decent pedallists a bad name.

I’ve recently rejoined the cycling masses after buying myself a road bike after a gap of 20 odd years, but I’m massively conflicted after my experience with my two-wheeled brethren at the weekend.

I found myself stuck behind a group of lockdown cyclists on a narrow and windy country road. Being forced to watch them flounder along on their shiny and badly adjusted machines for nearly ten minutes before finding a safe place to overtake was less irritating than being twice encouraged by them to pass, seconds before cars came round blind bends towards me. I can only assume that they were deaf as well as stupid and couldn’t hear them coming.

I’ve recently rejoined the cycling masses after buying myself a road bike after a gap of 20 odd years, but I’m massively conflicted after my experience with my two-wheeled brethren at the weekend.

I found myself stuck behind a group of lockdown cyclists on a narrow and windy country road. Being forced to watch them flounder along on their shiny and badly adjusted machines for nearly ten minutes before finding a safe place to overtake was less irritating than being twice encouraged by them to pass, seconds before cars came round blind bends towards me. I can only assume that they were deaf as well as stupid and couldn’t hear them coming.
I’ve noticed similar, but I’m not really that bothered by them, I tend to treat all other road users as idiots regardless. In the same vein, there are a lot more people out for a lockdown walk en famille now, which is a great thing in general, but they tend to spread across the quieter roads and scatter in confusion when they hear my bell.

I’ve noticed similar, but I’m not really that bothered by them, I tend to treat all other road users as idiots regardless. In the same vein, there are a lot more people out for a lockdown walk en famille now, which is a great thing in general, but they tend to spread across the quieter roads and scatter in confusion when they hear my bell.
What you really need is an air horn.

Nornironman

Old-Salt
I drive for a living, encountering pedal cyclists is a daily occurrence.
The vast majority of people on bicycles are either commuting to work or are getting on in years and trying to stay fit. My view on them, give them plenty of space, don't drive dead close and intimidate them.
If I'm stuck behind them for a few minutes, big deal it's not the end of the world.

What does piss me off is the lycra clad idiots riding in great big packs behaving as if they own the road. It's these ********* that give the other decent pedallists a bad name.
So what would you prefer, a group strung out over twice the distance to pass or two abreast in a smaller group? It's faster and safer for you to pass when cyclists are bunched together two abreast.
As for going out in groups, it's both social and a safety thing as well as pushing each other a bit. My Mrs won't go out on her own and we can't cycle together all the time due to childcare. She will go out with our local club who take fabulous care of mechanicals, stragglers and newbies.
Give these guys a break, it's sport, it's healthy, it's environmentally friendly, it's them having fun.

So what would you prefer, a group strung out over twice the distance to pass or two abreast in a smaller group? It's faster and safer for you to pass when cyclists are bunched together two abreast.
As for going out in groups, it's both social and a safety thing as well as pushing each other a bit. My Mrs won't go out on her own and we can't cycle together all the time due to childcare. She will go out with our local club who take fabulous care of mechanicals, stragglers and newbies.
Give these guys a break, it's sport, it's healthy, it's environmentally friendly, it's them having fun.
I think the point he was making was that whilst two abreast is OK, he (and I) come across Pelotons sometimes with cyclists 3, 4 or 5 abreast

BratMedic

LE
Book Reviewer
If it is just for fun and fitness then these pelotons (I always thought this was a donkey walloper's term) should all be confined to a velodrome.

Nornironman

Old-Salt
If it is just for fun and fitness then these pelotons (I always thought this was a donkey walloper's term) should all be confined to a velodrome.
1. The UK only has 6 indoor velodromes. My local one (and I'm lucky to have one) is booked out for 2 months costs £20 a one hour session. Not exactly practical. Given the number of riders in the UK we should all get a go once every 10 years....
2. Different type of cycling. Not too many hors cat climbs in a velodrome.
3. Cycling as a form of exercise should not be restricted, the government has come to recognise this over lockdown!
4. Peleton always been a cycling term, but derives from the French word for platoon. So there is a military connection but not from the red trouser brigade.

4. Peleton always been a cycling term, but derives from the French word for platoon. So there is a military connection but not from the red trouser brigade.
/Pedant_Mode_on

The French word (and subsequent English usage) for Platoon, comes from Peloton (literally meaning 'small ball') not the other way around

/Pedant_Mode_off

I have been out road riding with my GF 3 times now on 10, 17 and 24 milers. really enjoy it. Heart rate up between 130-160 and it's a hell of a lot more fun than running. Also my joints aren't whinging for 2 days after the phys which is nice.
I pull over and stop if possible if I see a queue of cars behind me on roads that they cannot easily overtake and have had some waves of thank you, but mostly the cars give more than enough room when they do overtake, so all happy so far.

I can see where the shit reputation comes from though, we were approaching a roundabout and saw a group of 4 TdF wannabees who went through the roundabout at easily 25mph+, no chance of stopping and had the nerve to shout at a car that was already on the roundabout that they had to swerve to miss. Selfish pricks, the lot of them.

There's a hell of a stink on the Sheffield Forum website about one of these pop-up* cycle lanes. For some strange reason I've been banned for inappropriate behaviour and abusive language. Who? Me? Honestly, I ask you! The mods on there are worse than mumsnet (spit spit).

So if anyone wants to join that forum and definitely not carry on the good work, goodness me no, that would be so wrong...

*how fucking trendy and on-message can you get FFS?

Park Lane in London heading towards Marble Arch was three lanes, one is now a pop-up cycle/pedestrian lane with the other two being for other traffic.

Madness is one of those is a bus lane so we've gone from three lanes to one, its absolute carnage and will only get worse as traffic increases...

Park Lane in London heading towards Marble Arch was three lanes, one is now a pop-up cycle/pedestrian lane with the other two being for other traffic.

Madness is one of those is a bus lane so we've gone from three lanes to one, its absolute carnage and will only get worse as traffic increases...
Yeah but obviously the pollution will be reduced with all those green cyclists and lots of others using the buses of course.

Latest Threads