B*****y Cyclists

Only the twue cyclists may cycle!
Naah - anyone who wants to. But obey the laws.
And don't bleat when you get run over because 'didn't you see me?'.
No, did you make yourself ultra visible, or do you expect me to pick out that feeble front bulb amongst all the other lights in the rain-swept streets?
Being 'in the right' makes not a blind bit of difference if you are under a bus. Motor vehicles always win.

Nornironman

Old-Salt
Only the twue cyclists may cycle!
This pisses me off. I commute by bike, I do triathlon, I cycle with my family, I cycle with my club. I cycle, it's all cycling, and we're all in this together. Don't care if you are a BMXer like my kids, a MTBer, or a granny on a sit up and beg Dutch bike.
I turned up at a local "racing club" who took great pleasure in denigrating everyone who wasn't on full carbon bike with Di2 running gear and power meters... never went again. Knob jockeys the lot of them that actually make cycling less accessible.

This pisses me off. I commute by bike, I do triathlon, I cycle with my family, I cycle with my club. I cycle, it's all cycling, and we're all in this together. Don't care if you are a BMXer like my kids, a MTBer, or a granny on a sit up and beg Dutch bike.
I turned up at a local "racing club" who took great pleasure in denigrating everyone who wasn't on full carbon bike with Di2 running gear and power meters... never went again. Knob jockeys the lot of them that actually make cycling less accessible.
My local cycle club is quite welcoming. I haven't joined, though, as I don't really enjoy group riding. Also a triathlete (as in, turn up and hopefully finish).

I saw a lovely video of drivers being asked to ride static bikes while being close-passed by large vehicles to see what it feels like. Perhaps that should be part of the driving test at the least, or passing a cycling proficiency test ;)

Bike lanes? Well and good, until the mushroom headed recreational lycrans think they are now superior, and laws do not apply to them, thus f*cking it up for the genuine cycling commuter
I always wonder if there's something homoerotic about the obsession about why I wear lycra on a bike ;)

Bike lanes? Well and good, until the mushroom headed recreational lycrans think they are now superior, and laws do not apply to them
Which law stipulates that cyclists must use cycle lanes if there is one?

Which law stipulates that cyclists must use cycle lanes if there is one?
You actually shouldn’t use a cycle lane if you’re cycling fast. Pretty sure it’s in the Highway Code somewhere.

I just don’t because it’s not really compatible with people using the cycle lane to get to work/ride with their kids.

Just to clarify I was being sarcastic.

I’ve found almost every cycle/tri club to be extremely cliquey and not very welcoming. But maybe that’s me.

Just to clarify I was being sarcastic.

I’ve found almost every cycle/tri club to be extremely cliquey and not very welcoming. But maybe that’s me.
I've yet to be a member of any form of club - be it Rugby, Tri, Curling, or whatever - where there wasn't someone accusing it of being cliquey. I think that's just normal, people tend to form groups within groups. Me and my mates in our 50's in the Rugby Club are probably thought of as a clique by the younger guys, with whom we have largely only a love of Rugby in common.

clanky

War Hero
Its interesting that the most vocal haters on here are obviously men in their autumn years. They belong to the generation who where told that the car was king.

Its interesting that the most vocal haters on here are obviously men in their autumn years. They belong to the generation who where told that the car was king.
It may be more a case of they belong to the generation who are past cycling and the only viable method for them to get around is car or some sort of peasant wagon.

It's extremely noticeable that in the hilly area I live in, cyclists are very much at the younger end of the age range - and few and far between, come to that. They are even fewer when it rains. Just saying.

anglo

LE
Not all the those in their "autumn years" hate cyclists, I have seen what RTA involving a
cyclist does to a family, everyone in my family paid a heavy price due to my brother getting smashed up.
The last thing I want to do is hit a Cyclist
That's why I'm would like helmets to be made compulsory

Not all the those in their "autumn years" hate cyclists, I have seen what RTA involving a
cyclist does to a family, everyone in my family paid a heavy price due to my brother getting smashed up.
The last thing I want to do is hit a Cyclist
That's why I'm would like helmets to be made compulsory

Not taking safety seriously enough........

Heavy kevlar body armour and steel toe- capped boots to be compulsory.......

Surrounded by armour with a 110 mm shooty thing on top
Do you mean 120 mm? Maybe 105 mm?

Said the never-served civvy.

I went out on my road bike last night and really enjoyed it. First time that I have ridden a racer since I was 13.
Great phys and was quite pleased at my 10 miles at 16.5mph pace, I think I can up that to over 18mph once I get used to the bike and stop playing with the gears and brakes.
I was getting used to SPD's and also pulled off a tight road to allow cars to pass (got a couple of waves of thank you when I did).

What with this, fartlekking, MTB'ing and circuits....Covid has been bloody brilliant for my fitness. :)

Latest Threads