B*****y Cyclists

Technically I was within my rights as the horn is an audible warning device. I did not initially use it as I said as I was not in a hurry but I assumed they would move over and the didn’t. In other words it was deliberate provocation. What got me was the deliberate non compliance with road markings to inconvenience me. Then as usual the moronic gestures because I’d had the temerity to warn them of my presence. No their behaviour is not defensible.
There was no need for you to warn them, and you know that - you said yourself that they'd seen you; you did it because you were annoyed with them.

They were riding in an annoying fashion it sounds - I get that. However you had no need to 'horn them' as you put it.

clanky

War Hero
There's a sound safety reason why 2 abreast is safer. And it's legal. They may have helped you avoid a dangerous manoeuvre brought about by impatience.

There's a sound safety reason why 2 abreast is safer. And it's legal. They may have helped you avoid a dangerous manoeuvre brought about by impatience.
If I’d had any sense I’d have turned right, headed for the A 47 and got home quicker. A nice afternoon’s bowl ruined by a couple of morons. For the record, I hope they get punctures. In terms of impatience, they failed I was in no rush, just irritated.
There was no need for you to warn them, and you know that - you said yourself that they'd seen you; you did it because you were annoyed with them.

They were riding in an annoying fashion it sounds - I get that. However you had no need to 'horn them' as you put it.
There was less excuse for their moronic gestures

ancienturion

LE
Book Reviewer
And people incorrectly using their horn.
Perhaps he was not incorrectly using the horn because according to the Highway Code the horn is to be used to warn others of presence.

Dr Death

War Hero
Wearing a cycle helmet & having insurance should be mandatory.
As should passing a 1 day cycling proficiency course before getting insurance.
Included in this would be education when passing large vehicle's like lorries & buses.

Those that fail to comply are given fines by the roadside and/or have bicycle taken away.

If you hit your head on tarmac at 3mph or at 30mph from 2ft it might result in a head injury.
Motorcyclists wear a crash helmet for a reason it saves the head of injury even at low speeds.

Note: This is my view only.

Perhaps he was not incorrectly using the horn because according to the Highway Code the horn is to be used to warn others of presence.
He said that they'd turned round and already seen him (he was close enough to see a "faint" grin - which I would probably too close to be safe) - but they were therefore already aware of his presence.

He was annoyed that they weren't moving in and letting him overtake. So he let his bottom lip wobble, and used the horn.

ancienturion

LE
Book Reviewer

Nornironman

Old-Salt
Wearing a cycle helmet & having insurance should be mandatory.
As should passing a 1 day cycling proficiency course before getting insurance.
Included in this would be education when passing large vehicle's like lorries & buses.

Those that fail to comply are given fines by the roadside and/or have bicycle taken away.

If you hit your head on tarmac at 3mph or at 30mph from 2ft it might result in a head injury.
Motorcyclists wear a crash helmet for a reason it saves the head of injury even at low speeds.

Note: This is my view only.
Here we go...

1. So most of us wear helmets but there is no real evidence to say it makes a hell of a lot of difference " Helmet laws in Australia, New Zealand and parts of Canada (BHRF, 1096) have resulted in the great majority of cyclists wearing helmets, but there has been no reduction in rates of head injury relative to cycle use. An analysis of enforced laws in these countries found no clear evidence of benefit (Robinson, 2006)." My club will not take anyone out on a ride without a lid, nor will we coach kids in a safe ruberised running track without a helmet.
2. Most club cyclist are members of British cycling that does insure us. I cycle and drive, I spend more time and money maintaining by bicycles than my car.
As far as I know I can't buy cycling insurance for wee Johnny aged 6. Insurers do not cover under 16s.
3. Cycling proficiency hasn't existed for 5 years now, it's Bikeability and most primary schools now have it included in their PE curriculum. Even my kids' village primary school of 30 odd managed, plus got the local cycling club in to offer tuition on a local running track from accredited coaches. I suspect even you did a course back in the day.
4. Roadside fines are NOT part of UK culture, our police do not handle cash. A ticket maybe but these powers exist already including the fabulously named offence of "furious cycling". Here's what is on the statute books Cycling offences | Cyclists’ Defence Fund The offences are there.

So you need a licence to ride an e-scooter but not a bike? That makes sense.

No...

Wait...

[/URL]

As I recall, was it Sheffield who tried the Boris-bike idea a few years ago and rapidly binned it, as the bikes were being nicked by the local pond life and/or being left anywhere at all, including in the middle of busy footways.

ancienturion

LE
Book Reviewer
It is you who is looking silly, as you clearly hadn't read any of the conversation - your "perhaps" had already been answered.

Stop using silly excuses.
Sorry, I'm not into pixel squabbles with those desperate to have the last word.

So you need a licence to ride an e-scooter but not a bike? That makes sense.

No...

Wait...

[/URL]

As I recall, was it Sheffield who tried the Boris-bike idea a few years ago and rapidly binned it, as the bikes were being nicked by the local pond life and/or being left anywhere at all, including in the middle of busy footways.
They have these rental e-scooters in many cities around the world. The last time I was in Denver, about a year ago, you could barely walk for abandoned e-scooters on the pavements. I can't see it being any different here.

Technically I was within my rights as the horn is an audible warning device. I did not initially use it as I said as I was not in a hurry but I assumed they would move over and the didn’t. In other words it was deliberate provocation. What got me was the deliberate non compliance with road markings to inconvenience me. Then as usual the moronic gestures because I’d had the temerity to warn them of my presence. No their behaviour is not defensible.
If it was deliberate provocation, then they were aware of you and you were aware of that.

So you sounded your horn to indicate your annoyance.

I actually agree that cyclists riding abreast is annoying. I find it annoying on my bike and when I’m driving.

However, you seem manage to write in such an objectionable fashion that I’m going to completely change my opinion just to disagree with you.

Why don’t you get a life and stop wasting your time regaling the world about every single time something mildly annoying happens to you when you’re driving.

ETA
Didn’t see you were driving back from bowling. You probably don’t actually have anything to do. Crack on Meldew.

They have these rental e-scooters in many cities around the world. The last time I was in Denver, about a year ago, you could barely walk for abandoned e-scooters on the pavements. I can't see it being any different here.
They send out vehicles to collect up the abandoned scooters. Often petrol or diesel ones. The hired escooters are very badly treated and life is around 1 - 2 months. Thinking about the resources used to manufacture them and the vehicles used to collect them they don't seem a very green solution. Not to mention that some people use them instead of walking or cycling, further encouraging the diabetes pandemic.

clanky

War Hero
I was in Lisbon just before lockdown. When I went to try them out all the dock stations near our apartment where empty. A lot of the scooters that looked abandoned might just be parked. The app tells you where the nearest available ones are. It was encouraging to notice the number of ebikes on my commute this morning though.

They send out vehicles to collect up the abandoned scooters. Often petrol or diesel ones. The hired escooters are very badly treated and life is around 1 - 2 months. Thinking about the resources used to manufacture them and the vehicles used to collect them they don't seem a very green solution. Not to mention that some people use them instead of walking or cycling, further encouraging the diabetes pandemic.
Isn't that always the way?
When I were a lad...
Disabled parking bays were rare.
Mums and tots bays non existent.
Old folk had those funny puke-green 3-wheeler invalid carriages.
Cyclists took their chances.
Now everywhere has disabled and kiddy bays.
And they are abused.
Spaz chariots all over the place - driven by lazy fat feckers as they rumble to the McDs and KFC
Bike lanes? Well and good, until the mushroom headed recreational lycrans think they are now superior, and laws do not apply to them, thus f*cking it up for the genuine cycling commuter

Latest Threads