B*****y Cyclists

Cyclists don't take any notice of the red light.
Yesterday, I was waiting with several cars at temporary traffic lights. After nearly 10 minutes the light for us to proceed went green, but then a cyclist at the other end decided that as the single lane was clear, he would go against the red light and cycle casually along at about 10mph, while we waited with the green light until the cyclist had cleared off the lane. This meant that about 6 or 7 cars would miss the chance to get past the traffic lights and have to wait another 10 minutes.
Motorists are incompetent.
I saw one crash once.

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
Cyclists don't take any notice of the red light.
Yesterday, I was waiting with several cars at temporary traffic lights. After nearly 10 minutes the light for us to proceed went green, but then a cyclist at the other end decided that as the single lane was clear, he would go against the red light and cycle casually along at about 10mph, while we waited with the green light until the cyclist had cleared off the lane. This meant that about 6 or 7 cars would miss the chance to get past the traffic lights and have to wait another 10 minutes.
Not being funny, I used to be a cyclist, but if I was driving and had right of way, I'd have just gone ahead.

Not being funny, I used to be a cyclist, but if I was driving and had right of way, I'd have just gone ahead.
Yeah, you would never get a car driver ignoring someone else's right of way. Just unpossible
vlcsnap-2020-07-01-09h37m40s265.png
vlcsnap-2020-07-01-09h37m40s265.png
vlcsnap-2020-07-01-10h03m57s516.png

Last edited:

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
Cyclists don't take any notice of the red light
Those ones grip my sh*t. I'm sat there on my bike waiting for Green, when d*ckhead shoots past - usually then waving a fist at a car that was legitimately moving into the road ahead.

That then annoys the car drivers, who may then have a more negative attitude towards other cyclists - ie me.

They're pricks.

30mph is definitely possible on the flat, just because you can’t do it doesn’t make it so.

For clarity I’m by no means claiming that I can average 30mph over a long distance. But hitting and holding that isn’t that hard. I average about 25mph ish over a 40km TT
I’m coming up to two years since starting cycling for pleasure. First three or four months done on a very heavy Huffy MTB bought from the travelling PX at BLMF. Covered just over 5,200 miles in 2019, on about 7,500 now as riding curtailed for various reasons in 2020.

In Jul 19 did the RBLI ride to Ypres, 75 miles a day for two consecutive days. I was very much in the slow group, but chuffed to have done it bearing in mind I’d become so fat & sedentary that when I started out a few miles to the local town was an effort.

I’ve done 30mph on the flat once:

C300E651-86B9-4D06-B2D7-5114CA099B25.jpeg

Only held for a couple of minutes in 50x11 & slowed as road rose & there was a cattle grid.

Fastest is this down a dirty great hill. Bloody scary:

C8ABE1C2-9282-4297-8C25-533EA514A097.jpeg

This is the elevation profile of my usual 15 mile leg stretch, home & back. A fair number of pedestrian crossings, roundabouts, junctions & traffic lights to negotiate:

EF461C6E-F93B-44FA-935A-38F21E69E66B.jpeg

Fastest I’ve done this was an average of 18.5mph, although wind behind me on way back. I normally cover it at around 17.5 mph, fairly happy as I‘m late 40s, built like a lapsed prop-forward, & as a year ago I was lucky to average 15mph!

napier

LE
Kit Reviewer
I’m coming up to two years since starting cycling for pleasure. First three or four months done on a very heavy Huffy MTB bought from the travelling PX at BLMF. Covered just over 5,200 miles in 2019, on about 7,500 now as riding curtailed for various reasons in 2020.

In Jul 19 did the RBLI ride to Ypres, 75 miles a day for two consecutive days. I was very much in the slow group, but chuffed to have done it bearing in mind I’d become so fat & sedentary that when I started out a few miles to the local town was an effort.

I’ve done 30mph on the flat once:

View attachment 486299

Only held for a couple of minutes in 50x11 & slowed as road rose & there was a cattle grid.

Fastest is this down a dirty great hill. Bloody scary:

View attachment 486300

This is the elevation profile of my usual 15 mile leg stretch, home & back. A fair number of pedestrian crossings, roundabouts, junctions & traffic lights to negotiate:

View attachment 486301

Fastest I’ve done this was an average of 18.5mph, although wind behind me on way back. I normally cover it at around 17.5 mph, fairly happy as I‘m late 40s, built like a lapsed prop-forward, & as a year ago I was lucky to average 15mph!
Is that your heart rate? See a doctor.

Is that your heart rate? See a doctor.
You should see my heart rate when I’m proceeding in a cloud of perspiration looking like a badly stuffed sausage!

I'm not saying that car drivers aren't as bad, but some cyclists seem to think that they are a law unto themselves as well until they come a cropper.
I'm averaging one incident like this every week at the moment. I'm not going to post every one of them on here.
It seems like car and van drivers have taken their time off during lockdown to forget everything they were taught about safe driving.
On the flip side, I was followed by an artic for at least a mile last night - which, at about 18mph must have been annoying for him - before he was comfortable overtaking me, which he did in a thoroughly safe and professional manner.

On the flip side, I was followed by an artic for at least a mile last night - which, at about 18mph must have been annoying for him - before he was comfortable overtaking me, which he did in a thoroughly safe and professional manner.
I've always found (when driving, at least - never been too near one when cycling from memory; or it's been entirely uneventful) that UK HGV have excellent road manners.

On the red light thing, I totally agree with drivers and as a driver myself it fucks me off when a cyclist shoots the light only to hold me up.

What I will say that when I ride in London, which is often. I will look at the light sequence and if I know my lights are about to change I will go out in front of the waiting traffic. Here are my reasons:

1. I can see well in advance if the crossing is clear and that I am not going to hit a pedestrian or get side swiped by a car crossing on amber/red. If I can’t then I don’t go.

2. In town I am normally travelling at or above the average speed of the traffic. So if I move fluidly through the junction I don’t get a situation where a car aggressively overtakes me on the light change only for me to have to overtake again when they get stuck behind a bus/cyclist/some dripping quim in a purple Astra. The fewer manoeuvres the less chance of being killed by someone rushing to urgently get to sainsburys.

3. People drive like cunts/too close/trying to be threatening. If I am out ahead moving at the speed of traffic/speed limit in the primary position I am safer. Which takes primacy over someone in a two tonne metal box getting to their destination 35 seconds quicker.

Out in the countryside I sit quietly just off the verge an accept people will be overtaking me at pace and probably reasonably close.

clanky

War Hero
I've always found (when driving, at least - never been too near one when cycling from memory; or it's been entirely uneventful) that UK HGV have excellent road manners.
Of course professional drivers get regular refresher training and skill validation. Shame we can't do the same for car drivers.

Well I had the usual kind of run in . I'm on a lane leaving a 20 MPH speed limit rising to forty. I see two cyclists turn right ahead of me from the right, so they are now ahead of me. At this point they are in single file but just about the forty sign they go two abreast. The Lane ahead is Hilly and has a blind bend to the right about half way along. I've seen them about 100 yards or so ahead. They know I'm there because one looks over his shoulder. They stay two abreast until the bottom of the hill after the blind curve and then there's a refuge bollard. There's now a steep hill, I still can't overtake so I'm stuck behind them. I don't horn them but the cycle lane now changes onto a pavement setting so that drivers can get through a offset access to the built up up area. They remain in the road because it's inconvenient to go single file. As they do so the same bloke looks back and a faint grin. So I horn him. All I get is "dickhead sign". The other shakes his fist.
I thought shall I stop and let these two pricks disappear. By this time there's another car behind me- they cotton and suddenly become all compliant.

Perhaps they kept their position because they're used to idiots trying to overtake on the blind bend?

Perhaps they kept their position because they're used to idiots trying to overtake on the blind bend?
And people incorrectly using their horn.
Ah so that Justifies their road manners. Fortunately I was in no rush, they're habits however hampered me as I was caught between gears and so I was wasting petrol, which of course they hadn't paid for. More to the point that lane is used by Horses too and the Horse riders have been inconvenienced by cyclists en masse who won't stay clear and I have seen that. No Gents it was just bloody mindedness on their part. I have cycled that lane my self too so I can attest to one or two idiots but as a rule I have more problems with cyclists even as a cyclist than anyone else.

Ah so that Justifies their road manners.
Not at all. I've made my feelings on cyclists fairly clear in this thread.

Nor does their behaviour justify you using your horn. It should not be used to indicate annoyance, as you implied in your post.

Not at all. I've made my feelings on cyclists fairly clear in this thread.

Nor does their behaviour justify you using your horn. It should not be used to indicate annoyance, as you implied in your post.
Technically I was within my rights as the horn is an audible warning device. I did not initially use it as I said as I was not in a hurry but I assumed they would move over and the didn’t. In other words it was deliberate provocation. What got me was the deliberate non compliance with road markings to inconvenience me. Then as usual the moronic gestures because I’d had the temerity to warn them of my presence. No their behaviour is not defensible.

Latest Threads