B*****y Cyclists

RBMK

Old-Salt
My late father used to ride with Liverpool St Christopher and could do 25 miles in 1h3m to 1h5m using a fixed wheel bike. IIRC it was a Jim Soens frame, hand build from Reynolds 531....

He was usually 5 minutes behind Reg Harris on time trials. This was the 1950s.

I find there are plenty of utterly selfish drivers who'll buzz past a cyclist with inches to spare if they can.
They couldn't give a flying **** about anyone who wants to move without going under the wheels of a tetchy driver.

Twats
If you choose to wobble along on a child's plaything in the path of moving traffic, what do you expect?

I've got a spesh levo hardtail. It's fantastic cross country, but it's a big ole unit on the road.
I've just treated myself to one of these. Up on SPTA last night it was fantastic - it just swallows up the hills and so I was hammering past the vedettes in no time - Casterley, Redhorn, Lavington and Gore Cross (for those of you who know the geography) in 30 minutes. Incredible.

I shall have this bike for about two weeks until my wife discovers it and then she'll be on it...

WALT

War Hero
Lovely setts.
Ta very much (I had to google that as I didn't know the English). I'm in the former DDR and these are all over the place. There were a lot of roads here with these as well. but they've pretty much been replaced with tarmac now. That does mean there's no shortage of used ones.
I think they're brilliant. I had to lay new sewerage pipes last year. Dug out the stones, laid the pipes, and whacked the stones back in. You can't do that with bloody tarmac.

Ta very much (I had to google that as I didn't know the English). I'm in the former DDR and these are all over the place. There were a lot of roads here with these as well. but they've pretty much been replaced with tarmac now. That does mean there's no shortage of used ones.
I think they're brilliant. I had to lay new sewerage pipes last year. Dug out the stones, laid the pipes, and whacked the stones back in. You can't do that with bloody tarmac.
Some get covered up to prevent them being used as weapons!
Unknown.jpeg

clanky

War Hero
I've just treated myself to one of these. Up on SPTA last night it was fantastic - it just swallows up the hills and so I was hammering past the vedettes in no time - Casterley, Redhorn, Lavington and Gore Cross (for those of you who know the geography) in 30 minutes. Incredible.

I shall have this bike for about two weeks until my wife discovers it and then she'll be on it...
Have you tried the blevo app for tuning it?

50 on a 1947 Raleigh. I'm happy to average forwards.
View attachment 484491

By the way, I don't wear a helmet, I wear a fedora. I know this will annoy the righteous, but let's face it, I'd look a twat wearing a helmet on that. Yes, I know, I look like one anyway.......
Had one of those in the 70s during my college days, a comfy ride and sitting position.

WALT

War Hero
Had one of those in the 70s during my college days, a comfy ride and sitting position.
Indeed. Also very sturdy (obviously), but bloody heavy! I picked it up in Bristol over ten years ago, before I left the UK. It was looking very sorry for itself so I tarted it up and for its debut run I decided to take it out on one of the Bristol bike runs. I seem to recall the course was 25 or so miles. I sweated my knackers off, but it did it.
During the course of the day I had several old boys in various cycling clubs came up alongside me and comment that they'd started their cycling careers on one. My response was "You must have been bloody fit in those days!"
"Oh yes." as they zoomed off on their modern lightweight Italian things........
They must have thought I was bloody mad.

clanky

War Hero
Not yet. There seems to be some mixed opinion on whether this kills the motor and invalidates warranty.
I saw that too. I decided to take the risk. I've not used it to change the speed levels yet, but its great for creating a custom profile for assistance levels. TBF just riding it around in turbo mode is still pretty good fun.

KnockKnock

Clanker
Cyclists don't take any notice of the red light.
Yesterday, I was waiting with several cars at temporary traffic lights. After nearly 10 minutes the light for us to proceed went green, but then a cyclist at the other end decided that as the single lane was clear, he would go against the red light and cycle casually along at about 10mph, while we waited with the green light until the cyclist had cleared off the lane. This meant that about 6 or 7 cars would miss the chance to get past the traffic lights and have to wait another 10 minutes.

napier

LE
Kit Reviewer
an oldie, but a goodie

Latest Threads