B*****y Cyclists

3ToedSloth

Old-Salt
I find cyclists ( mostly ) utterly selfish everywhere they go.
They couldn't give a flying **** about anyone who wants to move faster than them,

Twats
I find there are plenty of utterly selfish drivers who'll buzz past a cyclist with inches to spare if they can.
They couldn't give a flying **** about anyone who wants to move without going under the wheels of a tetchy driver.

Twats

clanky

War Hero
Unfortunately for this idea, push bikes (like horses) do not have speed limits, they are for motor vehicles only. So no legal enforceable speed limit.
Nor do they come with a speedometer.
Its ironic given the whinging from Motards about safety cameras how jealous they get about this.

clanky

War Hero
One one of my favourite commutes goes past a notorious local speed trap. A longish downhill 2 lane with a 30 limit. It has fixed cameras as well as regular visits from the van with the weird back window. Its possible to pick up enough speed to have queue of cars behind you struggling to overtake who then have to hit the anchors as we pass the cameras. You can almost feel the impotent rage as you breeze along.

One one of my favourite commutes goes past a notorious local speed trap. A longish downhill 2 lane with a 30 limit. It has fixed cameras as well as regular visits from the van with the weird back window. Its possible to pick up enough speed to have queue of cars behind you struggling to overtake who then have to hit the anchors as we pass the cameras. You can almost feel the impotent rage as you breeze along.

Which just goes to prove you are a complete and utter cnut.

If shite like you saw the queue behind you, and slowed down for 20 seconds, to allow the build up to over take, there wouldn't be as many people who would wish you dead.......

clanky

War Hero
Which just goes to prove you are a complete and utter cnut.

If shite like you saw the queue behind you, and slowed down for 20 seconds, to allow the build up to over take, there wouldn't be as many people who would wish you dead.......
My point is they can't overtake without setting the camera off. Dumbo.

I ride a 125 scooter, purely for pleasure, around the local back roads.......

When cars or vans come up behind me, and it's a twisty b road, on a small safe stretch, I'll indicate left, then slow and wave them past.

It's called considerate driving, and "Not being a CNUT"

clanky

War Hero
You must have a slow scooter then. Plus its not the situation I'm describing above. Have you considered taking your test and learning how to ride properly? Then you won't need to keep pulling over.

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
As you mentioned downhill, there’s ze crayzee Frenchies racing down icy mountains. Effing scary some of the stuff especially down steep steps and single tracks. Sorry for the thread drift, but it does involve bicycles.

They are barking mad
it looks so much fun though

yes a long downhill stretch
he is 6 foot six and used a massive chain-wheel, thankfully he has calmed down a bit in the intervening 45 years
No, I meant the one in central London where you saw cyclists doing 30mph, not the one in Richmond Park.

If you have the right number of gears, and they are stepped properly and you use them
right you will do 30 MPH easy
If only it were that easy.

You would have to chuck in some serious talent and training alongside the gearing.

Unless you mean downhill with a tailwind. We’ve all done that, in fact I touched 30mph briefly this evening - at the bottom of a 9% hill.

I ride a 125 scooter,..."Not being a CNUT"
These two statements do not go together.

Get yourself a proper motorbike, or get yourself a mobility chariot. Don't half-arse it with a scooter.

These two statements do not go together.

Get yourself a proper motorbike, or get yourself a mobility chariot. Don't half-arse it with a scooter.
That, plus the obvious contradiction in “riding a 125cc scooter for pleasure”. Sounds more like a form of self-hate to me.

That, plus the obvious contradiction in “riding a 125cc scooter for pleasure”. Sounds more like a form of self-hate to me.
I bought a Vespa 125 thinking "it won't be that bad" for my commute. I rode it for a month before thinking "I'd rather spend 45 minutes each day with my nose in the armpit of a middle-aged IT consultant* on the tube than this".

I quickly sold it.

*His name is Malcolm. Nice bloke.

Last edited:

RigPig

War Hero
Unfortunately for this idea, push bikes (like horses) do not have speed limits, they are for motor vehicles only. So no legal enforceable speed limit.
A cyclist can be done for ‘Cycling Furiously’ under the 1847 Town Police Clauses Act. My dad was stopped whilst on a tandem going downhill and threatened with that many years ago.

RP.

clanky

War Hero
The reality is once again that the plod are not going to divert resources to the problem of someone cycling too fast, especially on a main road, or in Josh Slocums case a very well marked cycling superhighway. An acquaintance was stopped a couple of years ago when a copper thought he was going too fast on a shared use path, but he was only given a quick verbal warning before being advised to continue on the road. There's an ample sufficiency of shit motorists for the plod to deal with. Though you'd think with the number of expert drivers on here they wouldn't need speed cameras.

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
If I wasn’t sh£t scared of breaking something at my age and also a less than skilful cyclist, he’ll yeah, i’d Give it a go.
I watched it the way through on big screen, the first bit, I could cope with ( at about 4mph) then it gets a bit mad, then madder, running along goat paths, with 90 degree turns and scree
then they finally come into a town and slow down and you think thats the finish line
nope
oh god, 25 degree drop on scree and rock covered path with a 1 thousand metre drop to the side
he must have massive balls or be totally and utterly barking, how the cycles stay in one piece I will never know, its a testament to the engineering and development involved
as kids we used to nick a door off a skip and use that as a jump, but either the door or the bike broke fairly quickly

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
No, I meant the one in central London where you saw cyclists doing 30mph, not the one in Richmond Park.
its outside Embankment station running along the river, most of the users are either delivery guys and fit as a butchers dog, or on time trial machines and dressed in lycra, you are welcome to stand there and watch it, its like mad Max
they have a good long sprint right to the Battle of Britain Memorial

I watched it the way through on big screen, the first bit, I could cope with ( at about 4mph) then it gets a bit mad, then madder, running along goat paths, with 90 degree turns and scree
then they finally come into a town and slow down and you think thats the finish line
nope
oh god, 25 degree drop on scree and rock covered path with a 1 thousand metre drop to the side
he must have massive balls or be totally and utterly barking, how the cycles stay in one piece I will never know, its a testament to the engineering and development involved
as kids we used to nick a door off a skip and use that as a jump, but either the door or the bike broke fairly quickly
Absolutely frikkin mental the windy steps and steep single tracks and if I recall, one of his brakes failed as well and he just kept going.

I think I could probably manage the top bit which is the wide steep snowy section. But I bet it’s a bit like skiing when I first started. The slope look fine from below, but when you get to the start at the top, gulp.

Latest Threads